Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2011, 08:55 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times

Advertisements

^^exactly my point, the older kids really can't go off to college, or do what they want, because they have to help out at home, and care for younger siblings. The choice is taken away from them.

I guess, it is not for us to judge other parents. But I am glad I never expected my kids to do more than watch their little sister while I cooked dinner. I did not expect them to bathe her, dress her, feed her, take care of her all day, because I was busy with exercising, taking a nap, going to the store, and teaching the other kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 08:55 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
^^exactly my point, the older kids really can't go off to college, or do what they want, because they have to help out at home, and care for younger siblings. The choice is taken away from them.

I guess, it is not for us to judge other parents. But I am glad I never expected my kids to do more than watch their little sister while I cooked dinner. I did not expect them to bathe her, dress her, feed her, take care of her all day, because I was busy with exercising, taking a nap, going to the store, and teaching the other kids.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:51 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,741,555 times
I know this will sound bad but when I heard she's pregnant with her 20th I was utterly disgusted, she's a breeder, the worst kind of woman. It sickens and repulses me to think women in this modern era would choose to do this.

No offense to other Mothers, I have 2 children of my own.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:54 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,198,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I know this will sound bad but when I heard she's pregnant with her 20th I was utterly disgusted, she's a breeder, the worst kind of woman. It sickens and repulses me to think women in this modern era would choose to do this.

No offense to other Mothers, I have 2 children of my own.

Yeah, pretty much. I want to know what kind of money they make to be able to afford to feed everyone, I remember seeing something where they go through a gross of eggs every few days/week... probably 20+ gallons of milk, etc.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:09 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
Yeah, pretty much. I want to know what kind of money they make to be able to afford to feed everyone, I remember seeing something where they go through a gross of eggs every few days/week... probably 20+ gallons of milk, etc.
Prior to the show and the new house, they lived in a small 3bdrm home. I don't know how they managed, you know they must have had help.

Since 2008 they've had the show, written 2 books.

Net worth 3.5 million.

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/ric...ily-net-worth/#

Old 11-12-2011, 05:35 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,154,641 times
Quote:

JB does something in real estate development (last I knew, maybe now he just lives off earnings from the show and books, etc.) and I heard they ave a cell phone tower on their property (think it was mentioend in this thread).

I know years ago when I watched a few episodes of 16 and counting, it showed them shopping at Aldi's.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:29 AM

428 posts, read 1,184,787 times
These people disgust me. In a world that is approaching 7 billion people, I think it's morally reprehensible to be responsible for bringing that many more mouths into the world, particularly if you live in a place that already uses way, way more of the earth's finite recourses. These people make the case for the 1 child policy. I also think that they are narcissistic and delusional.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:36 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Prior to the show and the new house, they lived in a small 3bdrm home. I don't know how they managed, you know they must have had help.

Since 2008 they've had the show, written 2 books.

Net worth 3.5 million.

Duggar Family Net Worth | Celebrity Net Worth#
WOW. That works out to $175,000/child....but, somehow, I don't think the kids will benefit from the earnings...

I can't believe that people actually watch their show. Do they really think they deserve to have their pockets lined because they keep breeding?

And when do they have time to write books with so many children to take care of? Isn't writing a book a time consuming endeavor? I really feel sorry for these kids. I have an aunt who had 18 (back in the days before birth control) but she didn't market them or take time away from them to write books. The Duggars have their priorities messed up. I would think they have enough to do just taking care of their brood.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:43 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
With a tax write off for each child, earned income credits, homestead tax credits and help like WIC, surprisingly little. I watched an expose on a family of 12 several years back. With all the write offs, dad took home as much as someone with a normal sized family who made twice his income. They did a financial analysis for the family and told them they don't need to save for college because all of their kids will go on government grants except the last couple of years for the last child. He was going to need student loans.

The way our tax system, welfare system and financial aid systems are set up, there's a huge group discount to be had for very large families.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:01 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
slightly off topic, but i am reading a book with a quote that i thought was funny.

humans are the only animals that have children on purpose, with the exception of guppies, who like to eat theirs.

(p.j o'rourke)

again, i think they are both decent people and i do wish her well and hope she has a healthy baby, but they are definitely toying with the fates from this point on with childbearing. i think mr duggar should think about what is really important--which should be to have an intact family until they die of old age.

does he realize that the entire dynamic of the family would change if she died? if he is unwilling to have a vasectomy, maybe he should consider not having sexual activity that ends in conception. he seems like a responsible thoughtful man but he doesn't seem to have thought of any of that.

i don't think mrs duggar is capable of protecting herself from having more children and endangering her health anymore, yet she is the one who risks health complications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting