Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2011, 03:38 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,635,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
So you think it's ok for a boy to learn that appearing and/or behaving like a girl is acceptable? And what happens when he steps outside the confines of home? Ok to keep doing it, or to stress that he can't? Or should everyone just accept it?

What happened to standards? Again, it makes me glad I have a girl. I'm typing this as she's in a robotics class with 5 little boys. And everyone is dressed appropriately.

Or do you find it offensive that I believe that girls should have opportunities too?
Robotics class? OMG she is going to turn in to some uber-butch lesbian with a super short hair cut and doc martens. WTH are you thinking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 03:39 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,342,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I guess for my part, I am trying to understand the poster who says that there is something wrong with it. I can *understand* the idea of wanting to censor music though he has not expressly indicated the why of that. I can speculate that perhaps he does not want his children to become habituated to foul language or be exposed to the over sexualization of pop culture for example. (And here I am just guessing what the motives might be.)

But well before I can agree or disagree with him about the clothing, I would have to understand. And I am curious as hell to do that. But he does not seem to want to share what is wrong with it, so I will never know.
Thanks for your explanation. But my position is the same as those you are referring to....i put cross dressing on the same level as listening to r-rated music/movies, using foul language..etc because as a parent these are things that i wouldnt like to see my child(ren) doing.

What sort of message will i be sending my son by telling him its okay to wear a dress? It is our responsibility as parents to set boundaries on what is allowed in our home for our children and if "no crossing dressing" is the only issue people will pin me for ...then please let me know where to sign up. Cuz I will gladly wear that tag with pride.

answer to the question:
No son, you cant wear a dress silly. Dresses are worn by women...but guess what? If you can find a t-shirt or jersey or suit in that color... we can buy that for you, okay?

NEXT question!!!!

Last edited by Percentage; 11-15-2011 at 03:48 PM..

Old 11-15-2011, 03:43 PM

5,636 posts, read 5,051,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Why is your daughter in a robotics class? She should be learning how to cook.
She's learning that also, but today is robotics class. Cooking is on Thursdays. (FWIW, Mom is a senior level engineer and an awesome cook at home.). Thanks for asking!

Old 11-15-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
It isn't "so" important to me. I'm just trying to have an intelligent conversation. If some of you have a good reason, by all means, share it. If you don't, then you don't have much of an argument, do you?
Perhaps we dont think your question warrants an answer. Applying a little common sense to the op should tell you all you need to know....oh and btw, do you cross dress to work everyday? Just checking...

Old 11-15-2011, 03:50 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,125,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percentage View Post
Thanks for your explanation. But my position is the same as those you are referring to....i put cross dressing on the same level as listening to r-rated music/movies, using foul language..etc because as a parent these are things that i wouldnt like to see my child(ren) doing.
I guess that is what I don't understand. WHY don't you want to see your children doing it? For example, in the case of foul language, it is rude. I would not want to see my child being rude.

Quote:
What sort of message will i be sending my son by telling him its okay to wear a dress?
I don't know! That is what I am asking you? What sort of message ARE you sending? If I allowed my child to watch ... I don't know Sex in the City (is that a highly sexualized program? I have never seen it) I can imagine I would be sending the message that promiscuity is ok.

I may be being beyond dense here. But what message is being sent by allowing a boy to wear sequins in the privacy of his home?

Quote:
It is our responsibility as parents to set boundaries
Of course it is. I still don't get this one.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
She's learning that also, but today is robotics class. Cooking is on Thursdays. (FWIW, Mom is a senior level engineer and an awesome cook at home.). Thanks for asking!
A man with his head screwed on right. Kudos....your child is definitely on the right path.

Best

%

Old 11-15-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
I guess that is what I don't understand. WHY don't you want to see your children doing it? For example, in the case of foul language, it is rude. I would not want to see my child being rude.

I don't know! That is what I am asking you? What sort of message ARE you sending? If I allowed my child to watch ... I don't know Sex in the City (is that a highly sexualized program? I have never seen it) I can imagine I would be sending the message that promiscuity is ok.

I may be being beyond dense here. But what message is being sent by allowing a boy to wear sequins in the privacy of his home?

lol, privacy of his home? So let me ask YOU a question then. If it is okay for your male child to wear women clothing in the privacy of your home, why cant HE wear it in public??????

waiting...

Old 11-15-2011, 03:57 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,317,318 times
To Concerned Mom: My son wants to wear girls clothes
Be objective meaning show no emotion. The more attention positive or negative he gets from this the more he will want to wear them. Leave it alone.
Just like when they want to run away from home, many do at that age. Without a word I helped mine pack and the desire was gone soon after.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:58 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,507,053 times
Quote:

Because they don't have the cajones to come out and say they are terrified of the notion their children may be gay. They will not avail themselves of the countless sources of information stating cross-dressing does not equate to being homosexual, and they also refuse to accept the reality that if you're gay, you're gay, regardless of what you wear.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:01 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,125,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percentage View Post
lol, privacy of his home? So let me ask YOU a question then. If it is okay for your male child to wear women clothing in the privacy of your home, why cant HE wear it in public??????

waiting...

I will post one more time to you giving you the benefit of the doubt that you are actually interested in the subject under discussion rather than being snide.

Someone else, not me, brought up the objection of the child getting ridiculed in public. I can agree that that could be a bad thing. At 8, in particular, he may not have the judgement in advance to understand that possible repercussion. Another objection someone had was that it is teach to teach appropriate dress for an occasion. I think someone brought up what one would appropriately wear to church or a job. Someone else brought up the conformity to social norms. While I, personally, don't feel that is important, I can see how someone else would. I have no problem with that.

But I still cannot figure out what reason one would prohibit a child from this kind of thing in private. It makes no sense to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting