Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 08:31 PM

51 posts, read 217,742 times

Advertisements

My 7-yr old son has speech and information processing problem. His school said that he's not qualified for a speech therapist at school because his delay is not significant. His reading and writing is still on average. However, we're concerned because he is not interested in reading by himself (he loves it when we read to him), and he "hates" doing his reading homework. He cries every time that he has to read or misread a word (we never hit him or yell at him when he misread it). His attention span and memory is also very short.

I've heard about LearningRx and has him tested by them. They said they can improve his cognitive skill and long term memory. They recommended a 6-month "Read" program that costs a little over $10,000. That's a lot of money, but we don't mind paying if it works.

Does anyone have experience with the "Read" program at LearningRx? Would it worth the spending?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 01:27 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,738,262 times
I have never heard about it, but my son has had similar problems. He finally found a book he loved, "Diary of a Whimpy Kid" and couldn't put it down. Since then he has struggled to find something as interesting, but look for different mediums for your son to read. Maybe comic books, sports magazines, a subject HE is interested in. You may find that is what he needs to bring him to the next level.

Old 11-13-2011, 04:12 PM

346 posts, read 507,398 times
I don't know about them but I would probably research a few alternatives so I could make comparisons when shelling out that much money.

Old 11-13-2011, 04:58 PM

897 posts, read 2,454,650 times
that's alot of money-I'd find a tutor--- my son(who is 16 now) did not like to read when he was younger- had no problems just didn't like reading and still doesn't- well it showed on his ACT score- his reading and english score was the lowest...

Old 11-13-2011, 07:26 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,056,521 times
Save that 10 grand for when it's time to send him to college...

Old 11-13-2011, 07:43 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,914,826 times
Another idea is to talk to guidance counselor who will be able to point you to a high school or college student... my son had some math issues a couple years ago and I talked to one of the HS counselors, who gave me the names of a few kids. We found a really awesome math major student from a local university. My son learned TONS in the two months (four hours per week) they worked together for about 1/4 of what you're looking at paying...

Old 11-14-2011, 08:36 PM

51 posts, read 217,742 times
Thanks for all the wonderful advices. LearningRx claims it is not a tutoring service. On the contrary, it trains a child's brain to improve his cognitive skill so that he is able to tab into his knowledge base. My son's speech therapist already recommends that he is better off in a small classroom environment, aka, a private school. I looked up a few private schools that she recommended, and they all charged around 10k a year. It seems that every option I have is just too expensive, but it's hard to see my son struggling.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:39 AM

4 posts, read 25,041 times
Default Success at LearningRx - Incredible!!! From a mom of four

Hi! I would like to tell you that my oldest son has had reading struggles since he was young. This year at age 12 his struggles manifested themselves into just an unmanageable situation at home. We homeschool so I tried tutors, Sylvan and was looking into private school when a good friend told me about her child's success at LearningRx.
Knowing her child and his struggles I immediately checked into having him tested there. The test was pennies compared to the $800 psychological evaluation I had done.
Although I did not understand it all (probably the way you are feeling) when LearningRx explained everything to me I was impressed when they did a small demonstration after our consultation. I was blown away by the laser focus I saw in my child as they went through several activities....each time trying to beat his time before.
I prayed about the decision and my husband and I felt it was the answer for us. We are 12 weeks into his 24 week program and I can tell you that I have a different child. He can concentrate better on his school work. I've learned that he likes funny books like Diary of a Wimpy Kid but also nonfiction and is reading All In (Gene Chizik"s story about Auburn's Championship Season last year). Going from Diary to a Wimpy Kid to a story written for adults? Again, I was so impressed.
Here are the things I see in my child since starting LearningRx:
1. greater attention
2. greater ability to stay on task
3. reading better (still doesn't love it but he's a boy)
4. greater willingness to help around the house without being asked (this just started week 11)
5. His ability to hold things in his long and short term memory have improved.
6. His math grades are better and tests that once took grueling hours to complete now take 20 minutes or less.
7. His grammar and vocabulary grades have gone up and he is making all A's.

Seeing the same behavior in my daughter (who is younger) I wanted to try to knock out any learning issues early so I enrolled her too. She is in week 11 and is reading well now. Her math skills have increased as well.

Both of my children LLOOVVEE LearningRx. I can not say enough about how much they have helped my children. I would recommend their program to anyone. It has been a huge blessing in our family. So much so that I now have my 3rd born enrolled and he is on his 4th Week. My second born child who is in school this year will be going through the program this summer.

It really is that good.

And it is like nothing I ever have experienced before. I feel the center genuinely cares about my children. Yes, it's expensive but for what you get in return it is worth every penny.

I, too, struggled with spending that much money but as you can see I've done it three times now. I feel I am setting my children up for future success. I did not feel tutoring did this, for we've tried tutoring. LearningRx is all about learning through what the kids perceive as play and that is why they love it. I sit beside my kids now and watch them cognitively be able to do things I can not do.

I want desperately to take the program as well once I get all my kids through.

Last edited by juliestew; 11-18-2011 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: No promoting your own blog

Old 05-23-2013, 12:06 PM

1 posts, read 17,914 times
How come a poster with only 1 post has such a good thing to say about Learning RX? I've seen this in other forums also, it is starting to make be suspicious of Learning RX.

Old 07-16-2015, 05:00 PM

166 posts, read 370,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by help4her View Post
How come a poster with only 1 post has such a good thing to say about Learning RX? I've seen this in other forums also, it is starting to make be suspicious of Learning RX.
EXACTLY. When someone sings so many good praises and has only one post, that raises a big red flag. I am not considering this post as a review but as an advertisement by someone who has financial interest in this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting