Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 01:09 AM

325 posts, read 1,073,401 times

Advertisements

I have a son that will be turning 5 in October as a matter of fact and I was wondering how other parents felt about trick or treating. We hear all of the horror stories of people that are out on Halloween trying to kidknap kids for one. Then the other thing we have to worry about are the whack jobs that try to taint the treats. Theese things alone make me a little leary of trick or treating. I thought it might be a nice thing to have a costume party at my home with some of my son and his friends. Have a couple of big pumpkins filled with candy for them to eat and cook some sort of dinner. Then maybe do some age appropriate activites such as pumpkin decorating and maybe painting of Halloween pictures and perhaps rent some Halloween cartoon style videos. I dont know it was just a thought. Does anyone think I am just a little too paranoid about trick or treating?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 01:33 AM

7,573 posts, read 10,586,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesspolamalu View Post
I have a son that will be turning 5 in October as a matter of fact and I was wondering how other parents felt about trick or treating. We hear all of the horror stories of people that are out on Halloween trying to kidknap kids for one. Then the other thing we have to worry about are the whack jobs that try to taint the treats. Theese things alone make me a little leary of trick or treating. I thought it might be a nice thing to have a costume party at my home with some of my son and his friends. Have a couple of big pumpkins filled with candy for them to eat and cook some sort of dinner. Then maybe do some age appropriate activites such as pumpkin decorating and maybe painting of Halloween pictures and perhaps rent some Halloween cartoon style videos. I dont know it was just a thought. Does anyone think I am just a little too paranoid about trick or treating?
Not at all. I will say though that my husband and I take our kids in the neighborhood, and only to houses that we know. But honestly, your idea sounds a lot more fun, especially at your son's age.....Jeannie

Old 08-27-2007, 01:41 AM

1,354 posts, read 6,356,248 times
We had a party a few years ago and it was a huge hit. We had food, games, and crafts. Then we went to my some neighbors homes that we had pre-warned, lol. We live in a rural area, and our neighborhood is one of the few residental areas in the county with sidewalk and street lights. Most of the kids in town come to our neighborhood to trick or treat. It was insane last year, non-stop kids. We may do a party again this year. But we will see.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:48 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,066,170 times
Fortunately we live in an area where trick or treating is still popular. I would really like to see some statistics on how many tainted treats are actually found in candy. I know that was a 'big' concern when we were young and T or T'ing 30+ years ago yet no one I know ever had any. Last year the hospitals in Mn reported no incidences of tainted treats in the ER.

As for kidnappers, again, media gone wild. You have a 5 year old, you will be out with your child, the chances of your child being kidnapped are zero.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:18 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,371,854 times
Trick and treating is still the norm here. We know our neighbors. Nothing bad has ever happened.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:38 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,618,049 times
Princess, you have hit the nail on the head. Halloween is great and while I LOVE it, it can not only be scary for some parents, it's rarely on a weekend night lol So yes, hold your own party the weekend before, have a pumpkin race and enjoy! If your son insists on trick-or-treating take him to the mall if one is close by. Alot of our local churches hold TRUNK-or-treat as well.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:19 AM

345 posts, read 1,574,182 times
my 5 y/o loves trick or treating i would not take it away form him.... just like above said, you will be there with him, so no worrries right??

Old 08-27-2007, 08:30 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,951,677 times
Trick or Treating - a definite yes. If you bring your kids to a nice neighborhood (if you don't live in one), they will have a blast.

My parents were always paranoid regarding what to accept or reject in our bags of candy (they went through them thoroughly before I could eat any). They threw out anything open, with a tear, or anything not wrapped. I continue this practice with my kids and go one step further because of their young age.... My wife and I take custody of their candy and give it to them in small/reasonable quantities over time (so they don't get sick).

I researched a while back and learned that most of the horror stories we all heard when we were ourselves young were unsubstantiated "urban myths." Reading that added a lot of confidence to me regarding this fun holiday. Of course my family and I only stick to the very nice neighborhoods (if I was in a bad area I'd pass for sure). Our neighborhood is well policed on Halloween - we have 3 sherriff's living here and it appears they stay out during the entire trick or treating time period.

The only other reason I've ever heard for not allowing children to go trick or treating was religious. A father recently found his calling to study to be a preacher, and his 9 and 7 year old boys were suddenly told years after having been out every halloween, that it was an evil holiday. Kind of extreme and bizarre to me considering it fundamentally is just a great time. But obviously, his decision and he stood by it.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:15 AM

841 posts, read 4,828,048 times
Default absolutely yes to trick or treating!

Halloween, thankfully, is still popular where I live. It's my FAVORITE holiday and we celebrate it with enthusiasm.
I doubt you'd let your five year old trick or treat by himself or just with friends? I'm assuming you or another adult with be with him going from house to house.
I have yet to hear about any tainted candy anywhere. I agree...it's the media gone wild and putting fear into parents once again.
Get him dressed up, have fun, and go to a few houses. I still have awesome memories of trick or treating when I was a child. I bet your son will really have fun and enjoy it.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:51 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,018,343 times
Golfgal hit the nail on the head.

It's a rite of childhood!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting