Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 07:45 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,227 times

Advertisements

Some posters on this thread though said that they were not even to wear pajamas outside of their bedrooms at home. This is not a rule I even would have imagined. Obviously people have widely variant expectations and contexts in their homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 07:53 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
I agree that it's context rather than prudishness (at our house anyway). Doesn't matter that itt "doesn't show more than a swimsuit"....we don't wear swimsuits around unless we are headed to or just returned from the pool. PJs are worn before bed or in the morning....(or if you are too sick to get dressed). Otherwise, underwear is just that...underwear. Put some clothes on in our house...

ETA to clarify - going from bath to bedroom in undies or to the laundry in search of something no big deal. And by PJs are for before bed I'm meaning we don't wear them mid day or out of the house. I don't care if someone is watching TV for an hour before bed in their jammies...we don't hang out after school or work wearing underwear only or jammies though...

Last edited by maciesmom; 11-17-2011 at 08:10 AM..

Old 11-17-2011, 08:29 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantyall2know View Post
Would you consider it normal or acceptable for a teenager to walk around the house in underclothes in front of their parents and siblings.
Yes. I consider it normal. We are family and its not in anyway sexual to go about the privacy of your home in your undies, its about comfort or convenience. Growing up I saw dad in his underwear, mom in her undies and naked, me and my sis took baths together.
One of my great nephews ,until he was about 7, everytime he went to the bathroom he would come out completely naked and do summer saults down the hallway.

At some point family members my find themselves having to help their loved one with embarassing personal situations. If you cant handle seeing them in their underware, how will you ever be able to help them use the bathroom, wipe, give them a bath, etc.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:19 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
Some posters on this thread though said that they were not even to wear pajamas outside of their bedrooms at home. This is not a rule I even would have imagined. Obviously people have widely variant expectations and contexts in their homes.

can you imagine????

get fully dressed to go to the kitchen to get a snack, then put pj's back on. Oops forgot the dip, then get re dressed to go back to the kitchen.....

who does this????

then we wonder why americans have so many clothing hang ups....

Old 11-17-2011, 10:21 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,851,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
can you imagine????

get fully dressed to go to the kitchen to get a snack, then put pj's back on. Oops forgot the dip, then get re dressed to go back to the kitchen.....

who does this????

then we wonder why americans have so many clothing hang ups....
If I wasn't allowed out of my room in PJs, do you think I was allowed to take food to my room? lol

I do find it amazing I don't have any hangups about clothing or nudity after living with my dad. Actually, I do have some, but fight against them every time they come up. I don't want to pass those on to my DD.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:50 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I agree that it's context rather than prudishness (at our house anyway). Doesn't matter that itt "doesn't show more than a swimsuit"....we don't wear swimsuits around unless we are headed to or just returned from the pool. PJs are worn before bed or in the morning....(or if you are too sick to get dressed). Otherwise, underwear is just that...underwear. Put some clothes on in our house...

ETA to clarify - going from bath to bedroom in undies or to the laundry in search of something no big deal. And by PJs are for before bed I'm meaning we don't wear them mid day or out of the house. I don't care if someone is watching TV for an hour before bed in their jammies...we don't hang out after school or work wearing underwear only or jammies though...
I grew up with brothers and we had no problem walking around in our underwear. It was just not a big deal.

My son, on the other hand, has always been a prude and has NEVER walked around the house in just his briefs. Okay, I should say NEVER after the age of 3.

I am known in my neighborhood as 'the pajama lady'. I live in my jammies day and night, and I only get dressed when I actually have to leave the yard.
I refuse to let others dictate what I can or cannot wear in the comfort of my own space.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:02 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
I grew up with brothers and we had no problem walking around in our underwear. It was just not a big deal.

My son, on the other hand, has always been a prude and has NEVER walked around the house in just his briefs. Okay, I should say NEVER after the age of 3.

I am known in my neighborhood as 'the pajama lady'. I live in my jammies day and night, and I only get dressed when I actually have to leave the yard.
I refuse to let others dictate what I can or cannot wear in the comfort of my own space.

das rite girl--------snap !!!

Old 11-17-2011, 01:18 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:

Who's dictating? You quoted my response so I'll point out that I said "in OUR house". I don't really care what anyone does in THEIR house.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:37 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Good for you!

But, um, who's ever said you can't? I've been around awhile and I've never seen the clothing police knocking on anyone's door because they sit around in their boxers. Or their wife's teddie.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:00 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
This thread surprises me a lot.

There is so much sexual innuendo that I find it really disturbing. I guess that is the society we live in, every thing and everyone has become sexualized. Even people's own children.

It seems strange to me that suddenly the "parts" that were in plain view during the diapering process now are somehow "bad" just because it is 13 or 14 years later. This is really sending the WRONG MESSAGE to young people, imho.

The body is a completely natural thing and we all have "parts". By making underwear "questionable" or "forbidden" that just seems terribly wrong to me. And so unhealthy.

I guess it's a good thing that I don't have kids because we'd all be running around naked all over the place. Clothes are so incredibly uncomfortable! I will say that as a child, when I started developing I did become more modest, because I really wasn't comfortable with my body changes at that time. But if I had wanted to hang around in my undies or even naked for that matter, my parents wouldn't have cared and there wouldn't have been any shame in it.

The world has become a funny place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting