Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 10:54 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
So your message is - "Don't have kids past 28-29". Or is it, "It's best to have kids in your teens or early 20s." - ?? Exactly when parents, themselves, are still growing??
News flash: as a parent of a young child, a person will be exhausted. Whether 20 or 50 years old.

No, my message was MY experience and how I don't see how people over 30-40 are able to cope with young children. I could care less when people want to have kids
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 06:49 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
I have grown sons now, the thought of raising a baby at 50 is not appealing at all.
grandkids, yes, they go home.....but no, I couldnt imagine running after a baby at 50, just the thought exhausts me, I am done, 3 boys, done, waiting for the grandkids.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
No, my message was MY experience and how I don't see how people over 30-40 are able to cope with young children. I could care less when people want to have kids

I agree with you.
you have much more stamina and patience when you are younger, I am living proof of that.
but to have a new born now, oh hell no.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:48 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,505,199 times
My dad is 58 and he has a 5-year old and a 2-year old and he loves it. According to him it's much better this time around than it was when he had his first kids in his early 20's. He's having a blast with the boys. He's the type that needs to be doing something all the time so he'd be running around anyway even if he wasn't chasing little kids. He doesn't quite have the same energy now as when me and my siblings were small but he is more mature than he was at 23 and he thinks that's a plus.
It's probably not for everyone but he's enjoying it. I just hope that he will be able to keep it up until the boys are grown. His wife is much younger than he is which I'm sure helps.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:05 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,355,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
For those of you who commented on the health issue side of things, thanks, but please tell how you or those you know can deal with being in their early 70s when your kid is just graduating high school. How about the fact that you are giving up your retirement (golden years) to bring up a baby? How does a 65 YO parent go out running and playing with their 10 year old? What does a 12 year old child tell his friends when they say their Grand Parents are cool when the child feels weird to say "ummm they are my Mom and Dad, not Grand Parents".
Just to throw it out there---there are plenty of people in their 20s and 30s having children that cannot go out running and/or play ball, whether it's someone who is morbidly obese, someone who is missing limbs or someone with a serious illness. Should they avoid having children?

I've been hiking before where people who are 65+ fly right past me. I just have to laugh, because they're quite a bit older than me but obviously a lot better at it.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:25 AM

Quote:
For those of you who commented on the health issue side of things, thanks, but please tell how you or those you know can deal with being in their early 70s when your kid is just graduating high school. How about the fact that you are giving up your retirement (golden years) to bring up a baby? How does a 65 YO parent go out running and playing with their 10 year old? What does a 12 year old child tell his friends when they say their Grand Parents are cool when the child feels weird to say "ummm they are my Mom and Dad, not Grand Parents".

For those who commented that an older couple would likely be better parents, I have to agree that can very well be true.

yeah man, total agreement with you on this.

To me, that does not sound appealing at all. i still like the idea of grandkids, because you play with them for a hour, then have to take a nap, now that sounds like fun to me.

Maybe because i raised 3 boys already in my very younger years and now, the thought of raising babies is not even on the radar. I wouldnt even consider it.

at 70, i want to be playing checkers under a palm tree, not swinging a bat in a field chasing after a ball that goes faster than me.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:06 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
Well my friends that i talked about earlier in this thread are pregnant again . yes he is 52 and she is 41 . they are thrilled . He always said they would have more babies . He said after this one they would try again too . He always said he wanted three or four guess he was serious . Like i said their first one is two now and one on the way . They found out a couple of days ago . I guess she is okay with it cause she said yeah maybe one or two more after this second one .

Old 04-12-2013, 09:27 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,499,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Well my friends that i talked about earlier in this thread are pregnant again . yes he is 52 and she is 41 . they are thrilled . He always said they would have more babies . He said after this one they would try again too . He always said he wanted three or four guess he was serious . Like i said their first one is two now and one on the way . They found out a couple of days ago . I guess she is okay with it cause she said yeah maybe one or two more after this second one .
You know two parents who are dedicated to each other and their children and the kids have already won the parent lottery.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:05 AM

3 posts, read 8,809 times
Default Yes do it

I'm 67 and my daughter is 17, my son 15. These two are my only children, my wife's only children too, we met at 35 (her) and 45 (me).

We didn't plan on getting pregnant, we just happened to visit the Erotic Museum in Miami Beach one day as a frolicking couple. Weren't sure that we would ever have them, then boom. We embraced it, that's the only way to go. We are still together as a family.

I am much more suited to raise these children versus my 20's which saw me out all hours of the night with my peers and furiously working my way up the ladder on Wall Street. My 30's were all about the career and traveling during the weeks to build that. When 50's came I was a fitness-aholic and home body, a perfect time to welcome the children.

In fact, I credit swimming and lifting weights with keeping me vigorous and energized, my children had virtually all my attention during their formative years and they're well adjusted. In our family history, we have only stayed a nuclear family unit during the 18 years of child-rearing and everyone flies the coop and goes out to make their way in the world.

As for retirement, that's not a goal in our family, my grandfather worked until 94, died at 95. My father still works at 90 now, he's very sharp and both have had younger wives that did not work and stayed home, as do I now. My main fear is and has always been that I'd die early of some tragedy and leave youngsters to fend for themselves. It's still a fear sure, but it gets lesser every day that I exist.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:03 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
Quote:
I sure would like to hear from men in their mid 50s +/- in age who might have been faced with their spouse talking about having a baby at this late age.

This is not about the woman, she is younger and within safe child bearing years. This is for the men who have to help bring up a baby when retirement is supposed to be 10 years or less away.

How can anyone justify wanting to be into their early 70s when the kid is graduating school? These types of questions can go on and on.

Your sentiments on this?
OH god love him.... having to go through all that morning sickness, putting on weight, labour pains and giving birth... I feel for him.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting