Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 11:28 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,516,015 times

Advertisements

I sure would like to hear from men in their mid 50s +/- in age who might have been faced with their spouse talking about having a baby at this late age.

This is not about the woman, she is younger and within safe child bearing years. This is for the men who have to help bring up a baby when retirement is supposed to be 10 years or less away.

How can anyone justify wanting to be into their early 70s when the kid is graduating school? These types of questions can go on and on.

Your sentiments on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 11:45 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,427,408 times
I'm 50 and I have a four year old - that's sort of close - and I would like more kids, the wife is 42 but she is ready to have a nervous breakdown with our other 8, 10, and 12 year olds too.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:45 AM

36,333 posts, read 15,934,958 times
I certainly don't know how they do it. I wouldn't want to as a woman, being with someone who has a small child.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:49 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,316,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I sure would like to hear from men in their mid 50s +/- in age who might have been faced with their spouse talking about having a baby at this late age.

This is not about the woman, she is younger and within safe child bearing years. This is for the men who have to help bring up a baby when retirement is supposed to be 10 years or less away.

How can anyone justify wanting to be into their early 70s when the kid is graduating school? These types of questions can go on and on.

Your sentiments on this?
I wouldn't do it or recommend anyone else do it, for several reasons.

Number one reason is that research is beginning to show that our epidemic of autism is due in part to older fathers.

We've known for a long time that rates of Down's Syndrome skyrocket in women over 40, but now to know that older fathers give us more autistic children seems to show the human body was just not meant to procreate after a certain point.

So for me, THAT is reason enough not to do it.

Then of course you've got all the social ramifications.

And I just don't think it's fair to a child to purposely give him/her older parents they'll have to tend to and deal with when they are still so young themselves.

After all, it's tough enough for those of us in our 40's, 50's and 60's to deal with aging parents and all their issues. But to saddle a 20 year old with all that? That's just not good planning.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:26 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,427,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
We've known for a long time that rates of Down's Syndrome skyrocket in women over 40, but now to know that older fathers give us more autistic children seems to show the human body was just not meant to procreate after a certain point.
Skyrocket from one in 69 thousand to one in 50 thousand?

If our bodies weren't meant to procreate past a certain point then we wouldn't be able to procreate past a certain point.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Skyrocket from one in 69 thousand to one in 50 thousand?

If our bodies weren't meant to procreate past a certain point then we wouldn't be able to procreate past a certain point.
You should bone up on the facts dude.

Over the age of 40 a woman has a ONE in 100 chance of giving birth to a child with Down's Syndrome.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:34 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,047,807 times
Men having children over the age of 40 greatly increases the child's risk of having mental illness, a study says. I don't know how true that is, but it IS something to think about.

Old 11-21-2011, 01:18 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,516,015 times
I just read quite a few studies that confirm and deny everything you're all saying about the health effects. So like in politics, no one is right and no one is wrong, just a bunch of studies that prove each other wrong.

Aside from any health risk issues. I want to hear from fathers who actually had a baby come into their lives after 50. Is there anyone out there in their 60s with a 10 YO in the house?

Old 11-21-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I just read quite a few studies that confirm and deny everything you're all saying about the health effects. So like in politics, no one is right and no one is wrong, just a bunch of studies that prove each other wrong.

Aside from any health risk issues. I want to hear from fathers who actually had a baby come into their lives after 50. Is there anyone out there in their 60s with a 10 YO in the house?
Not trying to argue with you my friend, but the evidence about older fathers and their impact on Autism and Down's Syndrome is pretty standard stuff.

Of course, just because odds are increased doesn't mean EVERY older father will have a child with mental or physical issues.

To answer your other question...my father had a son when he was almost 50. That "kid" (30 now) is the apple of his eye and the one he simply can't spend enough time with

Old 11-21-2011, 01:43 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,343,742 times
Maybe you should ask on the retirement forum. I haven't known anyone who had a child that late, but I have known grandparents who were forced to raise their grandkids. There must be a few of those around here, at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting