Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 09:31 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times

Advertisements

I agree there is no spoiling a small baby, and so what if it was, as long as the parent doesn't mind no one else has to deal with it. what about one of the wind up swings? congrats on your new baby
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 09:40 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
Don't use a sling while cooking, even the wrapped up kind...how many times have you spilled or had something splatter on you?

A swing is a great idea.

Something entertaining in the crib is also a good idea, to keep her busy while you're cooking. When my oldest was a baby, we had a little mirror that played music when she batted at it with her hand. Things like that work until the baby's old enough to pull herself up in the crib, then you have to take the toys out so they don't use them as a step to climb out.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:46 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,741 times
I agree with Dew, your sensitive response to her is just your mothering instinct telling you to pick her up. It's natural and great that you're listening to it.

I've tried lots of carriers and these are the top two I'd recommend: ERGObaby - baby carrier - back pack

Mei Tai Baby - Traditional, Asian-inspired Baby and Toddler Carriers

They're pricey but you can often find deals on craigslist or ebay.

I use my ergo every day and my baby is 9 months old. It's still very comfortable even though she's a big baby. lol. Best investment I made as far as baby gear goes. You can use it well into toddler hood.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:07 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,654,246 times
I used a back carrier for both of mine when I was cooking, and a sling. If I'd known about wrap carriers back then, that's probably what I would have used.

I never had a problem with splatters or spills. I'm not saying it couldn't happen - obviously it could! But holding the baby took precedence over that fear for me.

I don't know how I found this blog, but I did, and I enjoy the author's writing - she has tons of pictures of her baby in all kinds of wraps & carriers:
The Maiden Metallurgist

I also found this site, about babywearing, it has lots of info - TheBabyWearer.com

I also don't believe it's possible to "spoil" a child past six months, either, not by meeting their needs, anyway. That's a topic for a different thread, though!

Old 11-22-2011, 10:23 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
You cannot spoil a baby by loving her enough to make sure she is secure. If you need to keep her happy while you are cooking use a swing. Otherwise wearing her is a great idea.

Love her. Enjoy her. Time flys. My baby just got his first college acceptance.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:49 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,357,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Nah, she's not spoiled. She is simply voicing a preference. She is training you and succeeding, tremendously. LOL Think about OC, this precious little baby has been snuggled in your warm body, hearing your heartbeat, being constantly rocked and snuggled. It's what feels right to her. She's not spoiled, just wanting to be close to you.
Love this post...forwarding to the mrs. BTW repped!!!

Old 11-22-2011, 10:55 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
I have a 10 week old baby. So she's not really a newborn anymore. Im not sure what the definition of a newborn is. Anyways, her doctor said its not possible for a baby to be "spoiled" until 6 months. Before then they cry when they need something. But my daughter crys if she's not being held. I dont mind because Im thinking it makes her feel safe and loved and when Im not holding her shes feels scared and alone. But it does get annoying whn Im trying to clean or cook.

I do not feel comfortable with the cry it out methond. I tried it and it just broke my heart. She's just crying and thinking no one cares. I know I might be over sensitive lol. But besides the CIO method is there anything else I can do to make her not want to be held all the time?

Also is she actually spoiled or is her doctor wrong?
No, she is not spoiled. CIO is not even recommended at all for this age, btw. Infants who are held a lot generally become *more* independent as they grow older, not *less* independent, ime. This is because they feel secure and are truly attached to their caregivers.

Here's Dr. Sears on the subject

Spoiling | Ask Dr. Sears®

Old 11-22-2011, 11:02 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
I have a 10 week old baby. So she's not really a newborn anymore. Im not sure what the definition of a newborn is. Anyways, her doctor said its not possible for a baby to be "spoiled" until 6 months. Before then they cry when they need something. But my daughter crys if she's not being held. I dont mind because Im thinking it makes her feel safe and loved and when Im not holding her shes feels scared and alone. But it does get annoying whn Im trying to clean or cook.

I do not feel comfortable with the cry it out methond. I tried it and it just broke my heart. She's just crying and thinking no one cares. I know I might be over sensitive lol. But besides the CIO method is there anything else I can do to make her not want to be held all the time?

Also is she actually spoiled or is her doctor wrong?
To me, a child cannot be "spoiled" until they know the difference between yes and no.

If a child wants something and you do not want to give it to her, but you say "yes" instead of "no", then she will ultimately end up spoiled (thinking that she can have or do anything she wants, regardless of what you think).

My opinion is that no child can be spoiled by affection. However, during those times when you are cooking, etc., they may want to be held, which is INCONVENIENT. Since my only qualification to answer this question is having been a child once, I think each parent must decide for themselves if holding the child on demand is more important than the ravioli. If it were me, I'd drop what I was doing and pick up the baby. If the baby was a very needy child, I'd pick up a sling or something so that I could keep the baby near me during these times.

Just my non-parent opinion.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-22-2011, 11:08 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,925,490 times
I can't believe there is even a question about "spoiling" a baby. Obviously babies need their mommies to survive and thrive - "failure to thrive" is a worse-case scenario of what can happen when a baby is not nurtured. When you love an infant, that love is conveyed and stays with the individual when they grow up . . .it gives them a secure base.

There is a whole school of thought called "attachment parenting" - I don't know details but it's all about attachment!

I would try to cook or clean when the little one is sleeping and otherwise, give her all of the love you can - if you are busy, your husband, siblings, grandparents, etc. can hopefully fill in . . .

Old 11-22-2011, 11:41 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,925,589 times
I would look into a better carrier than the one you have. The one you have is not going to be comfortable for you or for baby much past a few months. A high quality carrier can be much more versatile than the so-called "crotch-dangler" style that you have.

I used a lot of carriers, and when cooking I had no problem putting baby on my back. But there's a bit of a learning curve there to learning to do that. You'll want to practice while kneeling on a bed first, watch instruction videos on youtube, etc. But at 10 weeks, you can absolutely put your baby on your back if you know how.

TheBabyWearer.com is the place to go to learn about carriers. Babywearing Guide « Becoming Mamas is also a nice site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting