Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 01:34 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,593 times

Advertisements

To rockinmomma good job with your daughter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 04:12 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,283,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleleigh View Post
To rockinmomma good job with your daughter.
Thank you, but I cannot take the credit. She is a great girl and cheer has given her the confidence she wasn't born with. I will support her and her squad forever. This is my contribution to the squad.... Lord knows I couldn't cheer like she does and I can't teach the routine, but I can chauffeur and organize fundraising.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:24 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Here's the story: As I was entering a big-box retailer I was asked by several early teens cheerleaders if I'd like to donate for their fundraiser. I asked what cause I would be supporting. Before they could respond along comes one of the girls' mom to take over. The mom tells me how lucky I should feel to be represented by such a find group of girls and my support help them make it to Florida so they could better represent my city by winning the national tournament. Usually I give a simple "No, thanks." but this irked me. I asked the mom why couldn't the girls put on a bake sale or something of the like to actually raise money instead of just asking for a handout. The mom took offense and once again reminded me how lucky I was to be represented by this group of girls and said there was no reason to actually sell something because people were giving them money anyway. I responded to the mom about the message it was sending to the girls about not having to earn their way and her response was they didn't have to earn their way because they're cheerleaders. I, then, asked her about the unused money and if it would be donated to a charity. Her response was that it wouldn't and the girls would be treated to nice dinners because, and I quote, "They earned it.".

Am I confused about something here? Is this normal to beg for money just to take a trip? They had a pot of money! People would walk past and drop in dollar bills. What really bothers me is the fact I never see a charity collecting this much money. Is it just me or do people really think it's okay to do this? Would you give money?

This is why we have so many entitled kids today. I have had the same thing happen several times outside a well known supermarket chain, except it was for Little League.

What irked me was the kids were jumping out at you demanding money(no please or real explananation of what it was for) while the parents sat in lawnchairs.

Have a car wash, sell cookies, etc. But to stand there and demand money so they could go on some trip, that is very nervy.

Now at the same supermarket they also will have the Girl Scouts, completely different.

They're polite and set up a table not blocking the entrance/exit. These girls are learning how to interact with people and our selling a product in order to raise funds.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:14 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,846 times
I wouldn't have given money, but I wouldn't make a big deal out of it either.

Our high school soccer teams (boys' and girls') travel to Europe every two years to participate in a high school world cup. It's a really big deal---we're almost always the state champs in our division---and the chance to compete internationally is priceless.

Every team member has the opportunity to go to Europe once, as a junior or senior, depending when the trip is scheduled. They spent TWO YEARS fundraising.

About half the kids in our town qualify for free or reduced-price lunch so there's no way most parents could shell out $3,000 for the trip. The kids have everything from chicken-pie suppers to parents-night-out babysitting nights to yard sales and car washes to raise money. They never set up tables at the local supermarket to ask for donations.

Somehow, no kid has ever not been able to go because of lack of funds. The hard work really helps the teams to bond in a way that only strengthens them on the playing field. The trips are life-changing. In the past several years they've gone to Spain, Italy and Holland.

I totally support the idea of sending kids out of their hometowns to compete, especially if they're local champions. But I don't support letting kids ask for money they haven't earned.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:19 PM

970 posts, read 2,213,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post

Our high school soccer teams (boys' and girls') travel to Europe every two years to participate in a high school world cup. It's a really big deal---we're almost always the state champs in our division---and the chance to compete internationally is priceless.

Every team member has the opportunity to go to Europe once, as a junior or senior, depending when the trip is scheduled. They spent TWO YEARS fundraising.

About half the kids in our town qualify for free or reduced-price lunch so there's no way most parents could shell out $3,000 for the trip. The kids have everything from chicken-pie suppers to parents-night-out babysitting nights to yard sales and car washes to raise money. They never set up tables at the local supermarket to ask for donations.

Somehow, no kid has ever not been able to go because of lack of funds. The hard work really helps the teams to bond in a way that only strengthens them on the playing field. The trips are life-changing. In the past several years they've gone to Spain, Italy and Holland.

I totally support the idea of sending kids out of their hometowns to compete, especially if they're local champions. But I don't support letting kids ask for money they haven't earned.
Completely agree. And the thing is, if kids are EARNING that money usually people will donate a little extra, making the fundraising easier. I think people want to support children but support does not mean a free ride.

And that is so cool about the Europe trips. I went to Europe as a high school student and it really was life-changing!

Old 12-13-2011, 05:52 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post

That's fantastic. What an experience - meaning the competition, the trip, the teamwork and working hard for the fundraising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting