Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 02:52 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,817,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
And in districts which do not allow fundraising (like mine)?

Due to parental complaints with regards to too many groups fundraising, the only sanctioned fundraising is for class level events (in which everyone participates) and not individual club or sporting events.
Your district has crummy rules. That doesn't mean that begging for money is right. Begging for money for a trip is no different from begging for money for any other reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 03:07 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,560,647 times
Quote:
And lots of districts are disallowing fundraising for clubs or sports.

So now poor kids have to have jobs in addition to school JUST to participate in extracurricular activities.
Sounds like something to resolve with the district.

Old 11-27-2011, 03:56 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,350,466 times
Quote:
So basically only well off children should participate in any after school activity that has expenses above and beyond what the district chooses to pay for.
Quote:

Due to parental complaints with regards to too many groups fundraising, the only sanctioned fundraising is for class level events (in which everyone participates) and not individual club or sporting events.
I don't believe at all that "only well off children should participate"...it appears your district and it's parents do however. I would question the message the district is sending by not allowing fundraising but having no problem with begging/panhandling for money. What is that teaching our children? As other's have said, there are all kinds of ways to fundraise that don't include selling a bunch of junk. I know our grocery store does scrips (as Kat mentioned) on a refillable gift card now. I don't have to buy anything I don't want and simply reload the card before I purchase my groceries. My son's team gets a percentage of everything I spend.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:37 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,013,720 times
Quote:
Here's an idea: If there is no money for trips ... don't go.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:40 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,350,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
There's that too.....we need to be teaching our kids that sometimes, we have to make difficult decisions. We are not "entitled" to everything just because it's there. Sometimes, unfortunately, the answer just is "no".

Old 11-27-2011, 04:54 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,221,921 times
Surely cheerleaders would not spend leftover money on food.
To raise money they could busk. Put out a hat and then throw each other in the air.

If we do not let them raise money then we just teach them to rely on the state or their parents.
Who cares if they beg or whatever. Let them try this and that and eventually they will workout what works. But to restrict their options before they even start.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:04 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,914,161 times
What I would like to see is the registration fee to 'join' the national (Fill in blank) add $?? ($1) to each kids registration fee. And if there team/group/club goes to nationals, The extra $1 is used to pay the costs to bring them to and pay for everything at the national event. Think of it as Winning insurance. A dollar from every one who losses, pay for the few winner to go.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:15 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,642,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
So the child spent 4 years preparing, win the state and then the regional, someone mismanages the money at the organization level, and tell the kid "too bad you are poor you can't go" and people wonder why children are disaffected.

Look it really is as simple as saying "No thank you" or throwing the letter in the garbage but what the people are basically saying is that they shouldn't even be asked when going out in public. It is too much of a hassle to say "No thanks" then to even let kids have a chance to do something they have worked for their entire high school careers.

And for all the people who are telling them to sell something; how many threads on here have there been the very same people whining about how many different ways they are asked to support something that way?

Old 11-27-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
What I would like to see is the registration fee to 'join' the national (Fill in blank) add $?? ($1) to each kids registration fee. And if there team/group/club goes to nationals, The extra $1 is used to pay the costs to bring them to and pay for everything at the national event. Think of it as Winning insurance. A dollar from every one who losses, pay for the few winner to go.
Some regional competitions only have 50-100 teams compete. That $50-100 is not going to send anyone anywhere. It may work but it would have to be significantly more than $1.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
There's that too.....we need to be teaching our kids that sometimes, we have to make difficult decisions. We are not "entitled" to everything just because it's there. Sometimes, unfortunately, the answer just is "no".
Wow.

We are talking about those kids that have actually worked hard, put in the time, and won something due to all of that hard work.

Now those kids can just go kick rocks so people don't have to bother saying "no".

More and more children are becoming more and more disenfranchised all the time and it has been shown that being involved with sports, clubs, teams, etc all help them stay engaged. But apparently that is less important than being put out by simply saying "No thanks".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting