Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2011, 03:12 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,252,305 times

Advertisements

My DD loved her American Girl dolls and fortunately for us, so did Grandma . We did buy a lot of the knock off clothing and accessories for her and a fraction of the cost. We could usually find clothing sets on clearance for a dollar or two. Sometimes the sleeves would be a little snug but we just snipped those a bit and they were fine. She played with them for years.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 03:50 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,230,730 times
Not really knowing what an "American Doll" is but the mind boggles.
Given we already have Barbie who is currently politically incorrect because she is thin, perhaps "American Doll" is politically correct being overweight. Well actually severly obese. And with todays technilogy installed, the deluxe model, for an extra $50 will winge continually unless you stuff the prepackaged high sugar, high fat specially crafted diet plastic food items in its mouth.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:36 PM

5,656 posts, read 5,081,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
Not really knowing what an "American Doll" is but the mind boggles.
Given we already have Barbie who is currently politically incorrect because she is thin, perhaps "American Doll" is politically correct being overweight. Well actually severly obese. And with todays technilogy installed, the deluxe model, for an extra $50 will winge continually unless you stuff the prepackaged high sugar, high fat specially crafted diet plastic food items in its mouth.
Yep, that was the optional accessories pack. Complete with a miniature TV which plays 'Sex & The City' reruns, a couch to recline on, a pint of Ben & Jerrys, Kleenex and a box of doll-sized Midol. All of this can be used while calling other American Girl doll-friends who will listen sympathetically as the doll cries about her boyfriend 'just not understanding' and how her doll college loans are killing her!

Grandma is coming back at Christmastime and already said she'll take my daughter back to the AG store! Go, Grandma!

Old 11-27-2011, 07:34 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,272,080 times
The dolls are very high quality and so are their clothing. I don't see an issue with the cost.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:35 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,272,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I think that's a separate thread and I'd rather not highjack this one so early on. Do you want to start it or shall I?

Back to our regular programming....
Ouch.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:50 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,489,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
The dolls are very high quality and so are their clothing. I don't see an issue with the cost.

The clothing for the dolls may be (?) high quality ( I don't find them to be...) BUT, the matching clothing for the girls are not, especially for the prices.

I think American Girl dolls are nice, my one dh has one as well as Bitty Baby. She goes through stages where she plays with them alot and then doesn't pick them up for months.
She likes the accessories more than the dolls themselves.
My other dh wants nothing to do with them.

My mom bought bitty baby for my dh and we purchased the doll for her a few years ago. I wasn't thrilled about getting her the doll, I did so because she seemed to really be interested at the time.
I have always had issues with the fact that AG strives to teach girls about life lessons, about how families suffered through the depression ,etc... But yet, their items are far out of many families budgets.
Spending $100 on a doll and then how ever much on clothing,accessories,is not an easy thing for many families to do, especially today.

I think they need to make their dolls more affordable for everyone. On the Angel Tree at the elementary school, there are quite a few girls asking for American Girl dolls or items. It would be nice if their families could afford them for their children.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:49 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,013,764 times
I owned a doll shop in Atlanta for 10 years during the 90's. of course AG dolls were not sold in stores but I made a nice living making and selling clothes, accessories, furniture for them. No need to pay the high prices for all that. There are zillions of crafts people who make beautiful clothes and furniture for those dolls. Go to any craft fair, church bazaar, etc and you will find great things for the doll.

Now there are several knock offs, all made overseas and much cheaper but not all 18 inch clothes fit all 18 inch dolls.

And AG dolls are not fat!!!!! They are a healthy size but more importantly they are easy to play with and dress. Their bodies are soft and fun to cuddle.

I HATE Barbies and all that they stand for. Ever try to make Barbie Clothes? Unless you have micro mini hands and tools they are difficult to properly make.

I got my first daughter Molly and she loved it. Then I got her the Asian like-me one and that one was a big hit. Then the black Addy and finally Kristin. After Molly the others were purchased 2nd hand. All ended up as models for the clothes I sold in my store. I could have sold those dolls hundreds of times over as my customers were all looking for bargain and gently used AG dolls.

We later adopted two little girls when first girl was 18. By then I had given away Molly and I so regretted it. My girls are now 9 and still play with the remaining AG dolls and they are learning to sew their clothes and even knit blankets and hats for them.
I for one have gotten great value out of our AG dolls.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:16 AM

88,460 posts, read 84,565,666 times
You can get cheaper clothes and accessories to fit the AG dolls at Target.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:14 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,226,046 times
There was a thread about AG dolls a while back. I loved the dolls and am sad that my dd has outgrown them. She had several, I think 11 in all along w/ clothes, accessories, pets, several horses and the stable. She also had alot of AG clothes. I don't regret one penny I spent, and cherished those years w/ her. We spent hours together w/ those dolls.

She has given/sold most of them now. She kept Kaya, her horses and Teepee and Josefina and some clothes. I kept the first one I bought her, the AG that looked like her.

I sold over $2,500 on ebay last year and am selling more this year. The furniture is harder to sell due to shipping cost.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:18 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,226,046 times
Quote:
(On a separate note, thank God I didn't see any little boys in there picking out toys! )
What's the problem if a little boy DID want a doll? I believe Bitty Baby use to make a boy doll.

Quote:
I think that's a separate thread and I'd rather not highjack this one so early on. Do you want to start it or shall I?

Back to our regular programming....
If this is a separate issue, why bring it into your thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You can get cheaper clothes and accessories to fit the AG dolls at Target.
You can also get the cheaper look alike AG doll and horse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting