Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 07:32 PM

127 posts, read 200,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwind15 View Post
Absolutley! I regret almost every day my choice of career. If I had known then what I know now, I would have run screaming down the street rather than go to law school. Sadly, I am in so deep on student loans that I don't have the freedom to pursue a lower paid but more fulfiling career... unless Sallie Mae is feeling really forgiving!
What's so unfulfilling about it? How do you know that there are others careers that are better, or rather that the grass really is greener somewhere else? (just curious! )

or it would be interesting to know whether if you know some lawyers who do like what they do, or more optimistic about it!

Last edited by aspiring_natural; 11-29-2011 at 07:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 10:00 AM

645 posts, read 988,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westwind15 View Post
Absolutley! I regret almost every day my choice of career. If I had known then what I know now, I would have run screaming down the street rather than go to law school. Sadly, I am in so deep on student loans that I don't have the freedom to pursue a lower paid but more fulfiling career... unless Sallie Mae is feeling really forgiving!

Are you with a big firm? Had a friend who was an associate with a fairly large, reputable firm - got a nice six figure job out of law school. Anyways, he did the math after a couple years of grinding away...figured out he was making about $18 to $20 an hour.

He left the practice after a few years and became a king crab fisherman in Alaska. Some seasons, he worked 12-14 weeks and made close to $75K. He actually said the fishing job was less stressful!!! Haha!

Old 11-30-2011, 04:26 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,962,204 times
I would have traveled more, even maybe done a semester in say London. As far as career, nope I'm good I went to culinary school just what I wanted to do and honestly I can work anywhere in the world with that degree

Old 11-30-2011, 04:38 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,620,441 times
I'd be a vet...hands down. Now I'm trying to get into medicine-maybe nursing or PA??? No vet schools near me.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:44 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,861,633 times
Let's see.....I graduated from U. of N.C. @ Greensboro at the ripe age of 61, the year was 2004. I had flunked out at least twice before and my grade point was less than 0.6, I was told that the normal 2.0 necessary for graduation would be waved if I could maintain a 3.0 for my last 2 semesters. They said 2.0 was not feasible. I graduated with a 2.04 GPA my last three semesters averaged 3.8. When I first transferred to UNC-G, it had just gone co-ed, there were 7000 girls and 100 guys, 75 of the guys were gay. The 25 of us that were not gay had one helluva good time. Small wonder I flunked out, in the world of wine, women, and song, I could not sing, but....I did have other talents.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:54 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiring_natural View Post
What's so unfulfilling about it? How do you know that there are others careers that are better, or rather that the grass really is greener somewhere else? (just curious! )

or it would be interesting to know whether if you know some lawyers who do like what they do, or more optimistic about it!
It's interesting you only chose to respond to that post. Are you considering law?

My girlfriend and her husband are both lawyers. They steer all of their children from pursuing law degrees. It's a very hard living. If you're working for a big firm, you're putting in endless hours---their jobs are their lives. But most lawyers are self employed and the stress to make ends meet is tremendous. I know a lawyer who umpires for little league to make extra money. There are many people with law degrees who aren't even working as lawyers because there aren't jobs.

If you're seriously considering a career as a lawyer, you owe it to yourself to read about the law school scam:

Exposing The Law School Scam (http://lawschoolscam.blogspot.com/ - broken link)

Law Prof Blogging on ‘Law School Scam’ Is No Longer Anonymous - News - ABA Journal

Is Law School a Scam? - International Business Times

Yale Law Professors Suggest Paying Students To Drop Out - Hartford Courant

Bottom line:

There are WAY TOO MANY lawyers than there is work available. You might as well play the lottery instead of putting your money into law school.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:49 PM

167 posts, read 477,090 times
I entered the Marine Corps as soon as I graduated high school. I had planned to do more then my four years but life happens and they wouldn't allow me to stay on active duty with the medical problems I have with my back. This was before 9-11.

I did not finish a degree while I was active duty and that is my biggest regret but I wouldn't have been happy doing what I was planning on doing. I fixed computers and was going for a science degree. To be honest I couldn't stand doing my job but I knew it payed well in the civilian sector.

After being a SAHM for the past 9 years I'm finally at a point where my kids are old enough and the therapies one child needs isn't extensive so I'll be starting up college again soon to finish my degree. I finally found my calling and will be seeking a psych degree to become an ABA Therapist.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:00 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,350,260 times
Yes, but I would have gotten a bachelors degree. I only have an associates. Now I am in my late 40s, would have to start from scratch as my associates is too old to be valid anymore. Not making terrible money, should be making more though. Would not pay for itself in the money and time I would spend getting a new degree as I would have to work full time and go back. Would take years to get a bachelors.

Last edited by gardener34; 11-30-2011 at 06:15 PM..

Old 11-30-2011, 06:28 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I would like to have become a builder and house designer. As a woman, this would have been a rarity that I could have used to my advantage. Hopefully, I would have made my nut, and gotten out before 2005 or so.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:13 PM

127 posts, read 200,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I would like to have become a builder and house designer. As a woman, this would have been a rarity that I could have used to my advantage. Hopefully, I would have made my nut, and gotten out before 2005 or so.
Exactly. Even before 2005, it would have been impossible to predict what would happen. Isn't this a somewhat unstable path for employment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting