Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 01:45 AM

1,569 posts, read 2,043,864 times

Advertisements

Sure as hell would - first I got a history degree, then I got a law degree.

I think I'd go into science if I could do it all over again - do something useful for humanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 01:49 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,135,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I enjoyed a pretty interesting career as a nurse, but if I was to do it all over again I would study medicine.

I am studying nursing right now (I'm 20). Maybe I ask why you would have studied medicine instead? From what I have heard, med school certainly is no walk in the park.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:12 PM

127 posts, read 200,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans&Cornbread View Post
When I was 19/20 - I had a pretty good buddy of mine who decided to drop out of the school where we were at and chose to pursue a nursing degree at a local community college. He asked me to join him. Back then, there weren't many guys in the profession. I truly thought he'd gone lost his mind! Did I ever give him a hard time about it, too.

OK, so fast forward some 20+ years and I find out my buddy is a supervisor/nurse practitioner and he's making well into six figs. As an added bonus, he's had a rather awe inspiring number of relationships with many, many gorgeous ladies. So, guess who's laughing all the way to the bank! I mean, I gave this guy endless - endless grief! I was so, so wrong...it's enough to make a grown man fall down and cry (which I have done, a few times...).

Hind sight is 20/20, as they say, but for those who are either smart enough or just plain miraculously lucky enough to fall "back a**wards" into a thriving/hot field - kudos to you. You have hit the jack pot.
This is AWEsome!!! How is he doing these days? Btw, what would YOU have done if you could go back to when you were that young?

Old 12-06-2011, 06:32 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
Yes, law school as a second career. There are way too many lawyers, and people really think they all make a ton of money which just ain't true There are plenty that only take court appointed cases at $50/hr and basically work out of their cars, especially in rural areas. $50/hr sounds like a lot but you can't charge for everything and you would have to work like 60 hours a week to make a decent living (maybe $50k). Or you can make $150k your first year out in a larger city at a large firm, and work 80 hours a week.
I practice law and have done so for the last 27 years. I don't regret it as a career choice--at least most days! Out of necessity, I ended up opening up my own office and working for myself. It was a good choice to make and for the first 15-20 years I practiced, I beat most of my colleagues "hands down" when it came to income.

Working for myself gave me some options that would make others green with envy. I've always been able to stay home a little later and see my kids off to school. I can always take time off, as long as I'm willing to forgo any income I'd be earning during that time. If work badly needed to be done around the house, some days I could choose to stay home entirely.

In the last few years, I've been rethinking some choices I've made. My colleagues who got a job with a local, state, or the federal government seem to get automatic raises every year. The part I find obnoxious about it is that this has occurred during the worst years of the recession--while others have been losing their jobs entirely. Anyway, year after year of regular pay increases makes the salaries of many my colleagues better than my own when their benefits (retirement, health insurance, vacation time) are factored in.

I think that's wrong. One's greatest aspiration shouldn't be to work for government. Otherwise, who is left to pay taxes for those who do work for government?

So, what I'm saying is that I don't regret become a lawyer. I do have some regrets about not finding government employment. Honestly, I think society has loaded these jobs down top-heavy with automatic pay increases and benefits. We need to rethink what we've done because too many have a real "sweet-heart deal" that is unjustified by market conditions.

Quote:
The health field seems to have good job security. of course being married to a doc, I can say there are inherent problems there, too, for primary care docs especially (pay versus student loans.) After having looked for a job for over a year now, I do look wistfully at the tons of physician jobs out there.
Medicine is a good field. However, there are only so many people who can do it because of the numbers needed and the skills required. The vast majority of people are never going to have the skill set required to be admitted to medical school which includes good working knowledge of higher level mathematics (Calculus) and chemistry. Young people who can do these things can become physicians, but the percentage this talented is really smaller than we think. Its about 5% or less. That leaves 95% who need to find another line of work. You make good points about student loans. I have a family physician living next to me who does o.k. However, I can't really compare his standard of living with my own. I think its mostly do to loans he is paying off.

Engineering is a good choice. However, again, it requires great math skills that simply beyond many people. And, I know a number who quit the field to do something else.

Finding the "right career" will always be a daunting choice for young people.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:46 AM

645 posts, read 988,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiring_natural View Post
This is AWEsome!!! How is he doing these days? Btw, what would YOU have done if you could go back to when you were that young?
Last I heard, he was doing quite well...still not married though! (Probably by choice...). The nursing field has held up quite well during the recession.

As for me - well, if I could teleport myself back in time, I'd tell my young self that if some buddy of yours asks you to drop out of college and go to nursing school DO IT!

Oh and buy as much Microsoft stock as you can...and remember these names when we get to the late 90's and 00's: Amazon, Google...

Old 12-06-2011, 12:43 PM

385 posts, read 859,056 times
As far as career goes I wouldn't change a thing, as far as my children go, my Daughter and I work together and when my son is old enough he will also work with me, what do I do?, I'm a Bail Enforcement Agent, the only thing I would have changed was not to have waited so long to see more of Asia

Old 12-07-2011, 03:33 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,357,544 times
While i love my profession, i now realize that i never considered pharmacy while i was in school. I would have definitely given that a shot cuz my chemistry/science skills were excellent. Not sure why it never crossed my mind!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting