Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 06:22 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,086,522 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't approve either, but after she's 18 it's up to her. I'll deliver her to adulthood in pretty much the same shape she arrived in - no tattoos, no extra holes, etc., and hopefully well-prepared to make good choices from there.

Others are certainly free to make other choices for their children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 06:58 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,163,875 times
I can think of much worse things for a 14-year old to want. MUCH worse. Belly button piercing seems pretty tame compared to what is going through my head right now.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:00 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,486,855 times
I had my belly button pierced when I was in my early 20's. It brought a lot of negative and unwanted male attention, and I eventually removed it. For that reason alone, I would not let my 14 year old get one. Most 14 year old girls are already gullible and craving attention, that's the last thing that need is something to attract bad attention.

But if someone else decided to allow their 14 year old to get one, that's on them. I had a friend who allowed her teenage daughter to get a tattoo. Would I let mine? HELL no. But to each his own.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:30 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,957,792 times
It can be hidden, it can be undone, so go ahead. I myself do not enjoy pain enought to have holes spoked in me. I did however at 16 have my ears pierced.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:33 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
A good friend of mine's 14 year old sister is getting her belly button pierced next weekend. She even wrote on her Facebook "can't wait to get my belly button pierced". I'm surprised her mother is even letting her do this because she always seemed to be very conservative and strict with her children.

Personally, I think she is far too young to be getting something like this done. I don't have children yet but if my 14 year old daughter asked me if she could get her belly button pierced, I would flat out tell her that she would have to wait until she's 18. I also feel like her mother is being irresponsible for permitting her 14 year old to get her belly pierced.
MY daughter wouldn't be getting her belly button pierced; but then I have a very good relationship with my dd and lead by example, so she has absolutely no interest in piercings, tattoos, etc.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:24 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,145,988 times
I think 14 is a bit young. When I was about 18, I wanted my belly button pierced, along with a tattoo in the nearby area. Yes, it was a "look at my abs, I'm totally hot" kinda thing. Cuz let's face it, you're not getting your navel pierced just for yourself. My parents said if I wanted it, I had to pay for it. It was more than I was willing to pay. Now, at 35, I'm really glad I never got it done.

I just think that at 14, you're not thinking about the future or about why you really want it, other than "it looks cute" and "other people have one." Personally, I'd wait until 17 or 18 to see if she still wanted it and was willing to pay for it. On the plus side, even at 14, it's not permanent, like a tattoo.

So no, I personally wouldn't let my 14 year old do it, but I'm not all "up in arms" if another parent allowed their child to.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:28 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,498,737 times
I had mine pierced when I was a senior in high school. It got massively infected and I had to see a doctor to have it removed. Gross. And I still have a scar.

That said, who cares? They aren't permanent like tattoos and while I now think they're kind of trashy, they don't hurt anything. In the world of 14yr olds I think a belly button piercing is way down on the scary list

Old 11-27-2011, 11:19 PM

970 posts, read 2,212,825 times
I wouldn't want a pierced belly button, but I see little difference between that and multiple ear piercings. Both can be removed. If a teenager wants to be "cool" or "different" then a belly button piercing is a pretty harmless way to accomplish that.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:27 PM

267 posts, read 175,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
A good friend of mine's 14 year old sister is getting her belly button pierced next weekend. She even wrote on her Facebook "can't wait to get my belly button pierced". I'm surprised her mother is even letting her do this because she always seemed to be very conservative and strict with her children.

Personally, I think she is far too young to be getting something like this done. I don't have children yet but if my 14 year old daughter asked me if she could get her belly button pierced, I would flat out tell her that she would have to wait until she's 18. I also feel like her mother is being irresponsible for permitting her 14 year old to get her belly pierced.
I don't have a problem with the 14 year old, but I do have a problem with her parents! Just because most of society is going down hill, she doesn't have to follow. Belly button tissue is very much nerve filled, why subject yourself, EVER, to this pain on purpose? Then there is a good chance of infections. Pierced ears? Remember? This is mutilation of a body, that includes tats. Our skin is just fine, the way it is, without all these things.
This is all for attention seeking and not 'feeling' special. Shame.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:30 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,139,351 times
Most people I know that have had it done suffered an infection. I would say no for that reason. Believe it or not belly buttons get pretty dirty with sweat, etc. (ick) You have to keep the piercing extremely clean and even then so, it still might get infected or gets caught on something. A friend of mine and I can't help but giggle as I type this, she got her shower puff caught in hers. She said it hurt like hell and she spent a good 20 minutes cutting it off her belly ring. The way she told the story was hilarious though. She kept hers for a bit longer and said that she was constantly getting it caught on her jeans etc and took it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting