Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2011, 12:29 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,975,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
You know funi....along this very line (been thinkin' about it a bit)....I've know parents who've allowed their teens to consume alcohol "under THEIR own roof". Some of these parents are then somehow dumbfounded that their child becomes a full-blown alcoholic...parents, shaking their heads in wonder and saying, "I just don't underSTAND. They had such a promising future! He/she was such a good kid!"
It's actually legal in some states.
It is legal in mine.

"January 1, 2010, 15 states and the District of Columbia ban underage consumption outright, 17 states do not ban underage consumption, and the remaining 18 states have family member and/or location exceptions to their underage consumption laws."

Legal Drinking Age by State | DWI Blog
And that's another site.

My mom would let me drink starting at 16, but it was RARE. I mean just one Smirnoff like every blue moon.
Then when I turned 18 years old I could just ask for something and she would buy it, but I had to drink it at the house, she would not give my friends any and I couldn't leave the house after I had say more than one drink, and I couldn't drink after even one drink it had to be like a friend coming to get me, like if she and I had a drink after dinner like a mixed drink, like a mudslide and a friend texted me and I either hadn't finished it or only had one small one I could leave with my friends, who were driving and not me.

I moved out the first time a month after turning 21 and got into my own drinking habits, I found my limit etc etc. If I drink here she no longer takes my keys or makes sure I don't have access to keys, she just trust me not to go off driving if I have had too much. I can also drink whenever as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 12:32 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,959,417 times
Default the rules in my house

Quote:
You know funi....along this very line (been thinkin' about it a bit)....I've know parents who've allowed their teens to consume alcohol "under THEIR own roof". Some of these parents are then somehow dumbfounded that their child becomes a full-blown alcoholic...parents, shaking their heads in wonder and saying, "I just don't underSTAND. They had such a promising future! He/she was such a good kid!"
Our rules about alcohol were the same as those of my parents, and my husband's parents. If it is against the law it isn't done.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:33 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,825,816 times
No tattoos - no perciing...Better be explained to the kid who wants to mark or scar their body that is it only for the lower classes..and you will be judges as belonging to the lower class if you have body art of any kind - The people that run the world do not mar their body..the slaves tend to decorate...and the reason for this is a spiritual one - that the body is perfect and made by God to be perfect - any alteration or marking of the body...detracts from the devine beauty - It's actually accurate to the kid to say - "only white trash have that" _ which is true!

Old 12-01-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
This is what me and my boyfriend argue about the most in regards to raising our daughter. He is under the impression that if we let our daughter drink or smoke marijuana in our house that would be better than if she snuck and did it. Granted shes only 11 weeks old so we have a while to go but OVER MY DEAD BODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Smh why would I want her to think it was ok to drink or use drugs. SMH off topic but I just had to comment.
But its not bad to drink. Its OK in moderation, its OK to have a margarita when you're out with the girls at dinner at Chili's, or a glass of wine when you and your boyfriend/husband are having dinner or doing something special or a glass of wine at Thanksgiving or Christmas. Or a beer on the 4th of July. Wine on New Years to toast in the new year. It's ok to have a beer with the guys on football sunday or to decompress friday night after a long week at work while you sit at home and veg out. Its even ok to go to a party and have a few drinks and socialize. Just do it smart.

Teaching them the above is IMHO the best method.
If you're all OHHH ALCOHOL IS SOO TABOO, its so bad never do it, and you hide it from them and make it seem to be this big mysterious thing.
You THE PARENT, do it to yourself, you add this novelty factor, you make them curious, you make them feel like its this huge thing they haven't tried and it makes them want to try it more.

Seriously beer and wine taste nasty, give your kid a sip, that'll turn them off from alcohol for sure. NOT SMALL CHILDREN.

MODERATION. The key is moderation.

Don't pull a snookie and end up falling all over the place while you vag is sticking out of your too short spandex dress.
Don't pull a lindsay lohan and follow up your martini with a line of coke.
Don't end up the next morning wondering where you are, who the dude is laying next to you and wondering where in the world did you get money for a tattoo of Chuck Norris's face across your chest.

Quote:
Also would like to add, I am not an alcoholic. I really don't drink all that often for my age and I don't drink very much when I do drink.
I also prefer fruity mixed drinks rather than pounding down the hard stuff.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:41 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,680,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
No tattoos - no perciing...Better be explained to the kid who wants to mark or scar their body that is it only for the lower classes..and you will be judges as belonging to the lower class if you have body art of any kind - The people that run the world do not mar their body..the slaves tend to decorate...and the reason for this is a spiritual one - that the body is perfect and made by God to be perfect - any alteration or marking of the body...detracts from the devine beauty - It's actually accurate to the kid to say - "only white trash have that" _ which is true!

wow. im speechless.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:46 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,680,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
But its not bad to drink. Its OK in moderation, its OK to have a margarita when you're out with the girls at dinner at Chili's, or a glass of wine when you and your boyfriend/husband are having dinner or doing something special or a glass of wine at Thanksgiving or Christmas. Or a beer on the 4th of July. Wine on New Years to toast in the new year. It's ok to have a beer with the guys on football sunday or to decompress friday night after a long week at work while you sit at home and veg out. Its even ok to go to a party and have a few drinks and socialize. Just do it smart.

If you're all OHHH ALCOHOL IS SOO TABOO, its so bad never do it, and you hide it from them and make it seem to be this big mysterious thing.
You THE PARENT, do it to yourself, you add this novelty factor, you make them curious, you make them feel like its this huge thing they haven't tried and it makes them want to try it more.

Seriously beer and wine taste nasty, give your kid a sip, that'll turn them off from alcohol for sure. NOT SMALL CHILDREN.

Don't pull a snookie and end up falling all over the place while you vag is sticking out of your too short spandex dress.
Don't pull a lindsay lohan and follow up your martini with a line of coke.
Don't end up the next morning wondering where you are, who the dude is laying next to you and wondering where in the world did you get money for a tattoo of Chuck Norris's face across your chest.

I didnt mean that WE wouldnt drink. Just that SHE wouldnt. I may allow her to sip a taste of a wine cooler like my mom did to show that it may look like juice but it doesnt taste that way.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:51 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,728,378 times
Quote:
This is what me and my boyfriend argue about the most in regards to raising our daughter. He is under the impression that if we let our daughter drink or smoke marijuana in our house that would be better than if she snuck and did it. Granted shes only 11 weeks old so we have a while to go but OVER MY DEAD BODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Smh why would I want her to think it was ok to drink or use drugs. SMH off topic but I just had to comment.
Bingo!! I'm am NOT against a drink or two, by adults, but having been witness to many alcholics' destructive lifestyles, including siblings and inlaws, it's no secret that drinking is like playing Russian roulette....and letting your kids wander about unsupervised...it COULD happen, this horrible addiction that you can't not shake. I also understand that some families DO allow their children to have a small glass of wine. There is a grave difference between that glass of wine and allowing and even encouraging youngsters to "get it out of their systems", by allowing them to get drunk.

I used to love an occasional Magarita or a yummy strawberry dacquri (sp?), and would always include my chilren in the treat....VIRGIN style! Shoot, they were thrilled to death and didn't care one bit that they weren't getting alcohol in it.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:52 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,959,417 times
Default Sorry TXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post

When you are underage it is against the law. When you are not underage, it is fine in moderation, but not when driving. Period

Old 12-01-2011, 12:53 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,728,378 times
Quote:
wow. im speechless.
Me too!! Also, to be honest with you, my kids WERE allowed an occasional "taste" of our alcoholic beverages. Their responses? "OMG, HOW can you DRINK that? That's nasty!"

Old 12-01-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
EXCUSE ME?!?!

First off not everyone believes in god.
And second of all, tattoos and piercings are not "white trash".

My friend is super religious and has the tree of life tattooed on her back, she also has her belly button done.

Second of all, I have a nose stud, my belly button done and ears done as well.
You can ask anyone here, I am not white trash. I am the most stuck up, slightly spoiled, snooty person here. I live in the burbs, my family drives an SUV ffs. I dress preppy. I am HARDLY white trash.

There are a lot of upper class people with tattoos and piercings.

While you are entitled to you own opinion, your opinion is biased and prejudice against class ranking and religious beliefs. Its narrow/close minded, rude, offensive and flat out....help me out guys what is the word I am looking for here...conceited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting