Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 09:40 AM

5,635 posts, read 5,050,185 times

Advertisements

I don't have specific links to point to these, but here are my votes from this year's offerings:

1) Cleaning trolley for organizing/moving cleaning supplies & tools.

I'm not raising a future hotel maid!!! (Yes, my daughter has a toy Dyson vacuum she plays with.)

2) Toy tattoo gun.

Yes, not the lick-em-and-stick-em temporary tattoos, but a toy version of the gun used to put on real ones. My own opinion on real tattoos notwithstanding (*cough*, *tramp stamp*, *cough*), where is the need to introduce a toy version of a real tool which involves a needle, blood, and permanent disfiguration? The kids want tattoos, stick with the food coloring stick on ones!

=============

Of course in looking back, I can cite the Mattel "ThingMaker" I had which included an electric hot plate, water (electricity and water make a good combo for 8 year olds!), and highly toxic goo to bake. Or the VacuForm toy which involved handling molten plastic. I got burned a lot as a kid... Thanks, Mom! My uncle says when he was 8, he made toy soldiers using real molten lead! I still have some of those he made.

Kinda makes that Red Ryder BB Gun ("You'll put your eye out, kid!") seem tame by comparison!

Anybody else have "favorites", either on shelves now or from your past?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 11:54 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,736,487 times
Well... let's see... at the risk of dating myself terribly, I remember the laundry set that came with a real iron that plugged in and got hot (my mom cut the cord off of it after the millionth burn). The wood burning set was a hit... you can set many household items aflame with these (and the cat will never come near you again). I had a chemistry set (not the "safe and sane" ones they have now... mine had real carbolic (sp?) acid in it). The icing on the cake was the pregnancy Barbie - you pushed a button on her back and her tummy grew. Oh... almost forgot... I also had a bartending set (similiar to a play kitchen would be now, only you got to bar tend).

Good time people... good times

Old 11-28-2011, 12:12 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,543,994 times
The one that grosses me out is the Barbie dog that eats its own poop.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:21 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,783,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
The one that grosses me out is the Barbie dog that eats its own poop.
Are you serious? They actually made that? The real thing is bad enough but to make a toy version is beyond gross.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:24 PM

970 posts, read 2,203,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
Well... let's see... at the risk of dating myself terribly, I remember the laundry set that came with a real iron that plugged in and got hot (my mom cut the cord off of it after the millionth burn). The wood burning set was a hit... you can set many household items aflame with these (and the cat will never come near you again). I had a chemistry set (not the "safe and sane" ones they have now... mine had real carbolic (sp?) acid in it). The icing on the cake was the pregnancy Barbie - you pushed a button on her back and her tummy grew. Oh... almost forgot... I also had a bartending set (similiar to a play kitchen would be now, only you got to bar tend).

Good time people... good times
I think the bartending set is the worst one, especially when you consider food play sets are geared towards 5 year olds! I can't imagine a child mixing martinis and margaritas.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Are you serious? They actually made that? The real thing is bad enough but to make a toy version is beyond gross.

2006 Barbie And Her Dog Tanner HQ Commercial - YouTube

You just put the brown pellets back in the food box and start over.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:37 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,210,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post

2006 Barbie And Her Dog Tanner HQ Commercial - YouTube

You just put the brown pellets back in the food box and start over.
Wasn't there also a cat that went in the litter box?

Old 11-28-2011, 01:45 PM

970 posts, read 2,203,522 times
Ok, the dog eating poop is definitely on the weird side. My friend pointed out that there are baby dolls that really pee. I told her the baby dolls don't drink their own pee after they finish!

Old 11-28-2011, 02:05 PM

32,516 posts, read 36,995,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passwithoutatrace View Post
My friend pointed out that there are baby dolls that really pee.
I had one of the early versions of that doll. You gave the doll her bottle with tap water in it and it came out the back end almost immediately. (It wasn't exactly anatomically correct.) My mother was always urging me to hold the doll over her beloved philodendron plant. Waste not, want not.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Waste not, want not.
But in the case of your doll and mom, it was:

Waste ... want!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting