Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 05:59 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times

Advertisements

One of my friends revealed his mom would not let him go out to play every evening after school until he sat on the potty and pooped. She kept the door open, would patrol, not let him get off the potty til he had done his business. And if it meant sitting there an hour, he sat. If he couldn't "produce," he got a laxative.

Please promise me folks don't do this kind of crazy thing. It caused my friend all sorts of problems, including not being able to participate in sports til he was in high school and able to break mom of her crazy fixation.

The reason mom got into this crazy obsession? Son occasionally had "racing stripes" in his underwear, so she decided if he pooped b/f play, he wouldn't create that problem for her with the laundry.

This continued all through elementary school.

He ended up with hemorrhoids as a child from straining and sitting on the pot so long. Too bad the doc didn't ask more questions about why this child was sitting on the potty for extended periods.

He also was severely punished if he got his clothes dirty.

I know his mom; she is a neat freak . . . but who would guess she would have terrorized her son w/ this kind of treatment.

To me, that is a form of child abuse. Surely other parents are not doing crazy stuff like this. Just goes to show a family can seem "normal" and very destructive things be going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 06:29 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Wow!!! That is terrible! Poor child.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:38 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,157 times
Skid marks are usually from not wiping properly, not from pooping one's pants. Psycho mom, poor kid.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:43 AM

758 posts, read 1,871,932 times
Poor kid, when I see skid marks I worry about the butt becoming sore and painful from not wiping correctly, not about having extra work with the laundry.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:59 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,056,815 times
That is sick.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:04 AM

17,371 posts, read 16,511,485 times
No lady - they should do their homework before they can go play outside.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:57 AM

The discussion with this man came up b/c we were talking about parenting (he has 4 boys) and I said I sure hoped I had learned from my parents' mistakes, rather than repeating mistakes. That is when I was told about this after school ritual he had to endure.

I know this mom thought she had things under control. Since I know her personally, I am certain she feels she did a great job raising her kids - they are all very fine people (adults w/ their own families). But dear me . . . some of the things parents can do and think are okay just blows my mind. Sometimes, I think parents are more concerned what is convenient for them than what is in the best interests of the child.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:03 AM

741 posts, read 1,679,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I know this mom thought she had things under control. Since I know her personally, I am certain she feels she did a great job raising her kids - they are all very fine people (adults w/ their own families). But dear me . . . some of the things parents can do and think are okay just blows my mind. Sometimes, I think parents are more concerned what is convenient for them than what is in the best interests of the child.
This is sickening! I don't think that she did a good job, I think that her children did a good job surviving that abuse! I still get mad when I think of how I was potty-trained at 15 months old and spanked if I wet my pants.. My mother told me it was because we were going to europe and "she was NOT going to be washing diapers in europe!"...(they used cloth back then)..grrr

Old 11-29-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciaMomof6 View Post
This is sickening! I don't think that she did a good job, I think that her children did a good job surviving that abuse! I still get mad when I think of how I was potty-trained at 15 months old and spanked if I wet my pants.. My mother told me it was because we were going to europe and "she was NOT going to be washing diapers in europe!"...(they used cloth back then)..grrr
I know for a fact that her kids have had a lot of things to work through, even tho I am also certain that this mom (even tho she is in her 70s!) still thinks she did a great job.

As you can doubtless imagine, this is just one story I have heard from the adult children of this family. You are right: they survived despite the craziness.

Parents who get hung up on potty training and potty habits are sooooo wrong. Talk about "control issues!"

Old 11-29-2011, 11:30 AM

17,371 posts, read 16,511,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
The discussion with this man came up b/c we were talking about parenting (he has 4 boys) and I said I sure hoped I had learned from my parents' mistakes, rather than repeating mistakes. That is when I was told about this after school ritual he had to endure.

It sounds as though this mom did some whacky things as a parent, no question.

But if her children have all grown up to be "very fine people (adults w/their own families)" she must have done a lot of things right, too....

Luckily her son isn't taking the same potty training approach with the grandkids!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting