Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 06:00 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,684,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciaMomof6 View Post
Ohh, I have tried that a million times and she dramatically falls to the floor screaming!
At 12 years old, she throws herself on the floor screaming!!!!!???? Are you kidding me!? What do YOU do? If she doesn't have any clinical issues, she'd do that ONCE. She would then be warned to grow up and act her age or I'd be removing items from her posession which are age inappropriate for 2-3 year olds. That WOULD be the final warning. She would then be treated like a 2-3 year old until she corrected her behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 06:11 PM

970 posts, read 2,203,848 times
Why is she getting things like a new iPod if she is throwing temper tantrums and terrorizing her siblings? Even the majority of people with mental disorders are still perfectly capable of knowing right from wrong.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:29 PM

741 posts, read 1,672,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passwithoutatrace View Post
Why is she getting things like a new iPod if she is throwing temper tantrums and terrorizing her siblings? Even the majority of people with mental disorders are still perfectly capable of knowing right from wrong.
the ipod was a gift for her birthday from her grandma..

Old 11-29-2011, 06:33 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,329,354 times
HORMONES...take her to her Doc and see if he can give her something to dial it down abit...some girls and woman have HUGE mood swings with puberty and "the change".

Old 11-29-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I am so sorry. It sounds like this is possibly more than teenaged hormones.

Was this child a collicky baby? Has she been known to pitch "tantrums" or cry uncontrollably as a toddler when she didn't get her own way?

I ask these things b/c psychologists are now saying that often, bipolar children showed these kinds of behaviors - and things escalate during adolescence.

The good thing is - a counselor may be able to figure out what is going on and give you all some good coping skills and help your daughter set goals for herself w/ self control. In addition, if she is exhibiting bipolar symptoms, this would be the time to start working on a regimen so she can stay more evened out w/ her ups and downs.

I don't think I would put things off if it has gotten this difficult for the rest of your kids. They should not have to lock their doors and be concerned with phone calls to the police b/c of her out of control behavior.

I have a bipolar sister who was not diagnosed til late in life. Your daughter sounds very much like her and the biggest mistake my parents made was that we all were to try to de-escalate things with her and "keep her from getting upset." That shifted responsibility to us rather than making her responsible for recognizing and controlling her own behavior.

Of course, we are all doing arm-chair diagnoses here, lol - so perhaps this is just a passing phase. But hearing about your family being terrorized at times by your daughter's behaviors makes me want to encourage you to see if there is something more to all this.

Don't get discouraged. This is definitely something that can be addressed, explored and managed!

PS> My sister was a gifted student through high school and graduated suma c um laude from college. She made us all pretty miserable, even tho she excelled at school. I only wish she could have gotten some help at an earlier age - she would have been so much happier and our family would have been much happier, as well. When in an "up" phase, she was sunshine and light.
This is really what worries me--the bi-polar possibility I was actually diagnosed with it, and I was adopted, but met my BIO family and they are all diagnosed bi-polar.. My bio-sis is actually on disability for her bi-polar..
Yes, my daughter was VERY emotional as a toddler with outbursts and biting issues.. She actually got a million times better when she started school, and was an "angel" until just recently..I'm wondering if maybe the hormonal changes have triggered this new extreme behavior..
Thank you for your input !!

Old 11-29-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
HORMONES...take her to her Doc and see if he can give her something to dial it down abit...some girls and woman have HUGE mood swings with puberty and "the change".
I agree!!

Old 11-29-2011, 06:42 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,477,869 times
I agree with the poster that said this sounds like more than teenage drama queen behavior. At 12, I could see pouting, slamming doors, bursting into tears every now and then. But throwing herself on the floor screaming, scaring her siblings to death, cussing and threatening people...and with a family history of bi-polar, that would be my first thought. Of course, it may be just puberty...way overboard, but maybe she'll get through it. Either way, if it were my kid, I would take her to the doctor just to rule everything else out.

Good luck...sounds like your family is going through a lot.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
At 12 years old, she throws herself on the floor screaming!!!!!???? Are you kidding me!? What do YOU do? If she doesn't have any clinical issues, she'd do that ONCE. She would then be warned to grow up and act her age or I'd be removing items from her posession which are age inappropriate for 2-3 year olds. That WOULD be the final warning. She would then be treated like a 2-3 year old until she corrected her behavior.
I know I know, thats why I threw this out there..I am still shocked at the behavior and it happened 2 weeks ago.. I mean throwing herself on the floor.. I havent dealt with anything like this and never expected this behavior from any of my kids.
I have never used corporal punishment and dont believe in it (I was beat so I do not believe in it)..but I have already threatened to take away the Ipod that she got from her grandma yesterday..and Im about to leave for class and if she acts out while Im gone, I will take it away..
She isnt always like this..she is very well behaved half of the time at home and always when not at home..Come to think of it, when she gets really upset she throws up also..

Old 11-29-2011, 06:59 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,001,849 times
Quote:
Come to think of it, when she gets really upset she throws up also..
Here's the test:

When she throws up have you seen the vomit come out of her mouth? (Without her sticking her finger down her throat.)Is she standing in the living room, or wherever, vomiting onto the rug?

Or does she go into the bathroom and then come out and tell you she's thrown up?

Old 11-29-2011, 08:45 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,684,736 times
Quote:
I know I know, thats why I threw this out there..I am still shocked at the behavior and it happened 2 weeks ago.. I mean throwing herself on the floor.. I havent dealt with anything like this and never expected this behavior from any of my kids.
I have never used corporal punishment and dont believe in it (I was beat so I do not believe in it)..but I have already threatened to take away the Ipod that she got from her grandma yesterday..and Im about to leave for class and if she acts out while Im gone, I will take it away..
She isnt always like this..she is very well behaved half of the time at home and always when not at home..Come to think of it, when she gets really upset she throws up also..
Lucia, it really sounds like she's going to have to get a professional evaluation. Also, please get a calendar and start documenting her highs and lows, find out if there is a pattern here. Pay close attention to what she's eating as well, in order to have plenty of information to share with her doctor. She could have food and/or dye sensitivities. With your family's bipolar diagnoses, it is also very possible that she has inherited the condition. Good luck to you...how frustrating. Also, as Dew pointed out, make sure that this vomiting is really occurring. Getting herself worked up to a frenzy can cause this to happen, but I'd be watching that carefully as well. Some children do fake throwing up. It's a control thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting