Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2011, 02:22 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I'm a pretty laid-back parent, but this video made me feel very uncomfortable. Do one-year olds need manicures? Does an eleven year-old need a bikini wax? I am quite astounded that a parent would even go there honestly. Is the question raised in the video valid; is this good for a tween girls's self-esteem, or is it harmful in the long run? So many questions, but more than anything a giant head shake at this.

Girls Getting Bikini Waxes, Manicures, Blowouts As Tween Beauty Market Booms (VIDEO)
I knew a lovely Portuguese girl who shaved her legs in 5th grade. So if that area was like her legs and she wanted to swim? I'd say sure if hair hung out the suit. If not then nope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
I think that it can be harmful for girl's self esteem to spend so much time, money and energy focusing on changing things about the way they look in order to fit a certain image of what our society and especially our media says beauty is.

I would not pay for a bikini wax for my dd at any age. If she wants one as a teen and has money saved up from a PT job then I wouldn't stop her from doing it but I would not encourage it. Manicures for babies and toddlers? Umm, no. Chemically straightening a 9 year old's hair? No.

I find the whole things completely ridiculous and not in the little girls' best interest.
So you are against waxing but ok if she shaves the area? I'm just curious as to what the difference is. Besides $$ of course. Same result.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:41 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
So you are against waxing but ok if she shaves the area? I'm just curious as to what the difference is. Besides $$ of course. Same result.
shaving she can do on her own. waxing would require a stranger being in close contact with her privates. I don't see any reason an 11 year old needs that.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
shaving she can do on her own. waxing would require a stranger being in close contact with her privates. I don't see any reason an 11 year old needs that.
There are plenty of home waxing kits.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:03 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
There are plenty of home waxing kits.
The subject of the OP is the BUSINESS of selling adult beauty and grooming activities to kids. That implies that you'd be paying someone to do it.

Waxing aside, I consider salon and spa type services to be a luxury. I might get my daughter a manicure for her birthday or some other special occasion, but I'm fundamentally opposed to teaching young girls that they NEED to be highlighted and manicured and waxed to be at an acceptable level of beauty.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:04 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,157 times
Quote:
Shaving takes a few minutes in the privacy of one's own bathroom. It's really cheap. Waxing requires an appointment at a salon or a spa in the company of a stranger. Pricey. Yes, the girl can wax at home as well with some supervision from Mom but when I wrote this I was thinking about the video in the OP which talks about going to a salon to get the service done by a professional.

Essentially the waxing makes a much bigger deal about a little bit of hair then shaving does. The girl is 11. Does she really need professional groomers to remove pubic hair for her at this point in her life?

Old 12-05-2011, 04:47 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Sweetie, if you're getting bacteria, odor, and infection from hair you've got a problem. There's something called soap and water. If you shower or bathe once - twice daily, you're not going to get "bacteria, odor, and infection". Bathing is good hygiene. Shaving or waxing your pubic area doesn't mean you're clean.
Actually, shaving and waxing all the hair off can make you more prone to infection. When the hair is removed by the root it makes you more susceptible to herpes because your pour is open. The whole point of hair is to help keep bacteria and infection OUT of your vagina. It also helps keep your genitals warm. I am not sure what OBGYN would EVER advise that removing all the hair is more "clean"

Old 12-05-2011, 09:27 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,468,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Actually, shaving and waxing all the hair off can make you more prone to infection. When the hair is removed by the root it makes you more susceptible to herpes because your pour is open. The whole point of hair is to help keep bacteria and infection OUT of your vagina. It also helps keep your genitals warm. I am not sure what OBGYN would EVER advise that removing all the hair is more "clean"

Exactly. I've never, ever had a doctor suggest shaving or waxing off pubic hair. For those who aren't aware, your hair (head, arms, body, pubic, etc etc) is your first defense against disease, germs, bacteria.

Next time I go see my gyno, I'm going to straight out ask if it's more hygenic to shave/wax all the pubic hair off or is it better to just leave it as it was intended to be. I'll post the answer! LOL!

Old 12-05-2011, 09:53 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,851,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Somebody, pages ago (sorry, can't find it again), said to just hand an adolescent a razor and let her figure out things for herself. While I agree that young women should be given a lot of privacy and self-determination about their bodies at that age, I would give the girl a few lessons first. There's a method to the madness, and shaving in certain ways will yield better, more comfortable results. I nicked my ankles so many times, cut my fingers, and once took a nice little patch of skin off my shin. When my oldest wanted to shave her legs, I told her to shower and put on a bathing suit, and then I showed her how to shave--just her legs, but I told her some basic facts about shaving her bikini line if she wanted to. Most importantly, 1) be gentle, 2) pull the skin smooth and taut, and 3) always use a clean razor. As a caveat to 3), there's 4) tell me when you need me to buy you more razors. Don't use some nasty rusted blade on yourself.

Dads teach their sons how to shave. Moms can teach their daughters!
Yo may have been referring to my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
My dd is still young enough that it isn't an immediate concern, but when she is ready I will hand her a razor and let her do whatever she is comfortable with. If it is only armpits at first, fine. If it is armpits, legs and bikini line, fine. I feel like she should be comfortable in her own body. I will not be taking her to get waxed. When she is old enough to make her own money to pay to get waxed, she is old enough to get waxed.
I agree with what you said. I may have worded myself poorly. I wasn't suggesting that I just send her off to figure it out for herself. I was mostly saying that she can decide for herself what she wants to shave. I will try to educate her on how to shave the right way and problems that can arise from shaving/waxing. I just don't think it is any of my business how much or where she wants to shave. That is just my opinion though. It is body hair and it will grow back if she shaves an area she isn't comfortable with. It will also grow back too quickly in the areas that she wants to stay bare. lol.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:24 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Agreed.

Ugh, remembering one time I sliced the tendon area behind my knee. I didn't cut too deeply, just the skin, but ... (shudder).

Waxing is no fun either. I don't think many girls would tolerate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting