Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 09:03 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,275,882 times

Advertisements

Maybe things have changed since i was 11 years old, but what is there to even freaking wax o.O? But manicures are cute for any age so i don't see an issue with that =P.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 09:05 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,275,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Yeah but can you imagine putting deodorant on over the hair....
Mine clumps up sometimes and that's WITHOUT hair, imagine a girl walking around with little white clumps of deodorant in her armpit hair...

Where's the vomiting emoticon?

FTR: I think we should live and let live. If someone wants to be hairless, let them, if someone wants to be hairy, let them and we also shouldn't FORCE people either way. If an 11 year old girl is tired of looking like tarzan when she goes to the pool she should be allowed to shave legs, armpits etc and make sure it doesn't look like she wearing hair as bathing suit more than she is the actual swim suit.
It's called roll on deodorant . Than or generally washing the area well makes it uneeded for a lot of people to even wear it.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:58 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,969,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Sure. I've seen my husband do it plenty of times.
I've seen TG do it plenty of times as well but mens deodorant is different than a lot of womens deodorant. I know, I've used TG's before when I went over and realised the next morning I had forgetten mine. I of course always have to pick off a hair or two first. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Maybe things have changed since i was 11 years old, but what is there to even freaking wax o.O? But manicures are cute for any age so i don't see an issue with that =P.
I remember when I was 11, there was enough, luckily it all stayed in my swim suit at that age but by the time I was about 12/13 I started shaving my bikini line and trimmed quite a lot, it was needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
It's called roll on deodorant . Than or generally washing the area well makes it uneeded for a lot of people to even wear it.
I get sweaty a lot, I have to, and I would prefer it not clump in underarm hair so I shave.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:37 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,849,692 times
Quote:
Yeah but can you imagine putting deodorant on over the hair....
Mine clumps up sometimes and that's WITHOUT hair, imagine a girl walking around with little white clumps of deodorant in her armpit hair...

Where's the vomiting emoticon?

FTR: I think we should live and let live. If someone wants to be hairless, let them, if someone wants to be hairy, let them and we also shouldn't FORCE people either way. If an 11 year old girl is tired of looking like tarzan when she goes to the pool she should be allowed to shave legs, armpits etc and make sure it doesn't look like she wearing hair as bathing suit more than she is the actual swim suit.
Yes, that isn't judgemental at all. I'm sure if you explained that to a female child in just that language she won't feel any pressure at all to confirm to completely arbitrary standards of beauty.

"See, honey, you're beautiful no matter what and you can shave or not shave, what's important is that you're comfortable with yourself. I mean, if you WANT to look like a big hairy beast, that's okay..."

Old 12-21-2011, 06:39 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,969,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
Yes, that isn't judgemental at all. I'm sure if you explained that to a female child in just that language she won't feel any pressure at all to confirm to completely arbitrary standards of beauty.

"See, honey, you're beautiful no matter what and you can shave or not shave, what's important is that you're comfortable with yourself. I mean, if you WANT to look like a big hairy beast, that's okay..."

That's not how I was saying it.
Nor is that how I would explain it.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:33 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,849,692 times
Quote:
That's not how I was saying it.
Nor is that how I would explain it.
Reread your phrasing. You described a girl who didn't shave as 'tarzan'...that's highly judgmental language.

But I'm really just pointing out how these beauty standards are internalized by women. Various posts have described hair as 'disgusting' 'smelly' 'ugly' 'tarzan' 'wild bush'...

Do you (and this is the general you) don't think girls hear these messages? When their mom snickers at another woman at the beach, you don't think her daughter looks at her own body and wonders?

Yes, the main message is coming from advertisers. But we don't need to internalize it...and we don't need to use it as a weapon against each other. Live and let live doesn't mean you keep your snarking about those 'tarzan' women to yourself or only snicker with friends behind her back...it means you realize beauty is subjective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting