Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 02:59 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,145,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
It's all about perspective, isn't it? What IS bored, anyway? I mean, if what you're doing is boring, put some adventure to it...a new twist! Make it exciting! Get a new perspective on it. If I start thinking, "OMG, cleaning this darn house can be so boring." I just turn it around and think, "Thank God I have a house to clean! Thank God I'm physically able to get up and CLEAN this house!" "I'm going to feel soooo good, so relaxed, when I'm done!" It's just amazing how changing one's thoughts, can snap the word "boring" back into oblivion.
That is not a bad life lesson either!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 03:10 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,696,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
That is not a bad life lesson either!
No S...it isn't, and it's all about how you choose to look at things. Even when it comes down to something needing repairs around here, or yard work to be done. We can grumble because SOMEthing needs repairing, or we can rejoice that it's OUR house, that needs repairs. We can grumble that the darn weeds are growing faster than the flowers, or that the lawn needs mowing AGAIN....or we can say, "Oh man, it's so nice to have a yard of our own and a lawnmower to do the job with!"

I've reminded my kids, over the years....as they've grumbled about the lawn needing mowed again, that they are SO blessed to have this huge yard to mow.....because it's a HUGE yard to play in as well. They're blessed to have trees to climb and a yard that's big enough for volleyball games, football games, horseshoes, badmitton. They always have permission to pretty much do whatever they want to do out there. "If you think that stinks....having to mow the lawn, ask your friends who live in one of the town's apartment complexes, just how bummed they'd be to have a yard to mow."

Old 04-10-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
No S...it isn't, and it's all about how you choose to look at things. Even when it comes down to something needing repairs around here, or yard work to be done. We can grumble because SOMEthing needs repairing, or we can rejoice that it's OUR house, that needs repairs. We can grumble that the darn weeds are growing faster than the flowers, or that the lawn needs mowing AGAIN....or we can say, "Oh man, it's so nice to have a yard of our own and a lawnmower to do the job with!"
Or one could be completely insane and view a day of freezer cooking as moving zen!

Quote:
I've reminded my kids, over the years....as they've grumbled about the lawn needing mowed again, that they are SO blessed to have this huge yard to mow.....because it's a HUGE yard to play in as well. They're blessed to have trees to climb and a yard that's big enough for volleyball games, football games, horseshoes, badmitton. They always have permission to pretty much do whatever they want to do out there. "If you think that stinks....having to mow the lawn, ask your friends who live in one of the town's apartment complexes, just how bummed they'd be to have a yard to mow."

My fondest family memories are of things like team yard care, splitting and stacking wood, construction projects...

Old 04-10-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Or one could be completely insane and view a day of freezer cooking as moving zen!

My kinda zen baby....my kinda zen! LOL

My fondest family memories are of things like team yard care, splitting and stacking wood, construction projects...
Aw...still is for us! taking turns with the maul, laughing and carrying on as we toss and stack wood. Me slipping inside to make a big ole pitcher of ice tea for everyone. Rarely does anyone have to mow the whole property either. Someone mows for awhile, someone steps in to take over while the first one gets a cold glass of refreshment... It's what keeps us so close and working like a team!

Old 04-10-2012, 08:31 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,953,074 times
That doesnt sound like fun either.
Maybe a family trip to the pool swimming doing cannon balls and drinking cold lemonade and various snack foods sounds like fun.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Maybe a family trip to the pool swimming doing cannon balls and drinking cold lemonade and various snack foods sounds like fun.
Well now, color me surprised! That's just how vastly different people can be from one another.

You see, I like fun. WE like fun. Therefore, we generally try to have fun, doing whatever needs to be done. Maybe certain tasks aren't necessarily what you'd prefer to be doing, but with the right spirit in your heart, you can make just about any task a whole lot more pleasant. Also, being a competitive bunch of folks, we can turn just about anything into a contest.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Well now, color me surprised! That's just how vastly different people can be from one another.

You see, I like fun. WE like fun. Therefore, we generally try to have fun, doing whatever needs to be done. Maybe certain tasks aren't necessarily what you'd prefer to be doing, but with the right spirit in your heart, you can make just about any task a whole lot more pleasant. Also, being a competitive bunch of folks, we can turn just about anything into a contest.
Just a spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down, in the most delightful way!

I was discussing fun with a boyfriend once. Background: I was basically letting him go. He was all flummoxed trying to understand why. I told him I was not feeling a priority in his life. There was no compromise, he chose to do what he wanted to do. If it HAPPENED to be something I chose to go along with then so be it. He could not understand why you would ever choose to do other than exactly what one wanted. I felt sorry for him. I can have fun picking my toenails. I can make whatever I want to make a priority and still have fun. He has to have a certain set of activities which he has already deemed fun or he can't have any. Kind of sad.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:33 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,895,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
It's interesting that you seem to equate being bored with needing to do something fun. Absolutely fun is, well, fun, but there are plenty of ways to alleviate boredom without it.

Re: the OP, I can definitely see myself offering a non-fun option like a chore if my kids tell me they are bored constantly. It is important to me that they learn how to develop the ability to entertain themselves. I don't want to raise kids who need outside entertainment 24/7 - it makes for boring adults, IMO. I also think mel is right on - even "have to"s can be more pleasant depending on how they are done. Balance in all things and so on...

Old 04-11-2012, 08:22 AM

The turn of this thread (at the risk of going off topic), made me remember various incidents throughout my life, where I've been asked, "Yes, but what do you do for FUN!? It seems like your life is all work and no play!" My response?..... WHAT!!? I'm not having FUN!!?? Oh CRAP! Are you SERIOUS!? OMG and here, all along, I thought I was having FUN!! Wow, that changes EVERYTHING! .....um, not.

I think when we're raising our children, we need to TEACH them that productive tasks do not have to be boring...that you have to be doing something expensive, or fruitless, or "recreational", in order to not be bored! Ewag....I think we can set great examples for our kids in this regard! Have FUN doing typical day to day things...even chores! Bring the clothes basket in and set it up in the far corner......"YEAH! Two points!!!! Woo hoo!!"

Somebody....I actually have one "adult" child who is like your ex. If you're not doing exactly what HE wants to do, it's no fun. When he was a teenager, if he wasn't controlling the family activity, he made it a miserable event for everyone. He, like your ex, had a set little list of things he considered fun....anything else was stupid. Fortunately, as he's gotten older, his list is longer. LOL

Old 04-11-2012, 11:06 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,056,555 times
Quote:
The turn of this thread (at the risk of going off topic), made me remember various incidents throughout my life, where I've been asked, "Yes, but what do you do for FUN!? It seems like your life is all work and no play!" My response?..... WHAT!!? I'm not having FUN!!?? Oh CRAP! Are you SERIOUS!? OMG and here, all along, I thought I was having FUN!! Wow, that changes EVERYTHING! .....um, not.

I think when we're raising our children, we need to TEACH them that productive tasks do not have to be boring...that you have to be doing something expensive, or fruitless, or "recreational", in order to not be bored! Ewag....I think we can set great examples for our kids in this regard! Have FUN doing typical day to day things...even chores! Bring the clothes basket in and set it up in the far corner......"YEAH! Two points!!!! Woo hoo!!"

Somebody....I actually have one "adult" child who is like your ex. If you're not doing exactly what HE wants to do, it's no fun. When he was a teenager, if he wasn't controlling the family activity, he made it a miserable event for everyone. He, like your ex, had a set little list of things he considered fun....anything else was stupid. Fortunately, as he's gotten older, his list is longer. LOL

Some things NEED to be done, whether they are boring or fun is how you approach them. Definitely TEAMwork makes things "less tedious" and often fun. Sure, I don't like that I am packing shelf after shelf of fine china and crystal. And by myself, it's tedious (and a tad boring), but add in just 1 friend, and we are having fun, giggles, or poignant moments.

Some of my fondest memories of my father involve me helping him with a chore: wallpapering, scraping barnacles off the boat, pulling apart an engine, putting in new electric lines. He always made me laugh.

I can't imagine not being able to find the fun in simple things. Looking at retirement in 5 months, we are planning for a ton of fun: building the raised garden beds, painting the house, installing solar panels, building a gazebo. Even now we find fun in making dinner together or trying out a new recipe. There is no boring in "time to make the donuts" around here even though it's just a chore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting