Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 02:46 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,294,472 times

Advertisements

My older child (8) has been getting very mouthy with me lately. He rolls his eyes, makes smart remarks, back talks and groans when I tell him to do something. How would you handle this?

Of course, he is a perfect angel at school!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 02:50 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,448,855 times
Nip it in the bud now. That is not acceptable behavior from anyone, let alone an 8year old to an adult. And his mother to boot.

Sit him down pronto. Explain one time that that is not acceptable and what the consequences will be. Then follow through. If he's allowed to behave like that now, imagine him at 16.

ETA - consequences are whatever works in your house. As with anything else, the following through matters more than the actual consequence (as long as the consequence is in fact a deterrent)

Old 12-02-2011, 03:21 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,232,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Nip it in the bud now. That is not acceptable behavior from anyone, let alone an 8year old to an adult. And his mother to boot.

Sit him down pronto. Explain one time that that is not acceptable and what the consequences will be. Then follow through. If he's allowed to behave like that now, imagine him at 16.

ETA - consequences are whatever works in your house. As with anything else, the following through matters more than the actual consequence (as long as the consequence is in fact a deterrent)
I agree. Not acceptable behaviour.

In our family that sort of thing really no longer happens because on the odd occasion when it does then it is immediatly dealt with with the paddle. Yes I know. Not for everyone. Please please lets not turn this into a spanking debate.

But I am interested in what others do. There are many ways this is handled. Some do nothing and I think we should hear from them too.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:29 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,688,647 times
I tend to focus on objective evidence of disrespect, like words and actions. I tend to ignore subjective evidence, like "attitude" or trying to guess what my children are thinking at the time. They can get a little huffy or roll their eyes, but as long as they do what I tell them without stomping, slamming, grumbling, or yelling, I usually let it go. I'm not the thought police, and I realize (and accept) that sometimes my kids are going to be mad at me. I would crack down on an egregious face (um, I mean that figuratively!), but for the most part I pick my battles. They can roll their eyes while they bring the wastebaskets down ... the chore is still getting done.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:36 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,372,592 times
I give mine one opportunity to correct herself if it's about the tone, facial expression, etc. If it's backtalk, or something egregious, it's a spanking.... that's about the only thing I spank for. We did nip it in the bud thought, and haven't had to deal with that in a while.... but she was 8 when it was happening, which surprised me. She is a please, thankyou, yes mam, no sir, may I polite kid 98% of the time, but the other 2%... good Lord!! My older son was never disrespectful..... he ignores me and is unpolite.... but never disrespects.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:38 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,356,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
I give mine one opportunity to correct herself if it's about the tone, facial expression, etc. If it's backtalk, or something egregious, it's a spanking.... that's about the only thing I spank for. We did nip it in the bud thought, and haven't had to deal with that in a while.... but she was 8 when it was happening, which surprised me. She is a please, thankyou, yes mam, no sir, may I polite kid 98% of the time, but the other 2%... good Lord!! My older son was never disrespectful..... he ignores me and is unpolite.... but never disrespects.
lol..

Old 12-02-2011, 03:39 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,750,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
My older child (8) has been getting very mouthy with me lately. He rolls his eyes, makes smart remarks, back talks and groans when I tell him to do something. How would you handle this?

Of course, he is a perfect angel at school!
Magritte I am SHOCKED You out of all people asking for advice here when you always give such good ones in which I constantly rep you for....

If I was in your shoes I would go with the above posters and if has not corrected then it is time to start taking things away and looking at some form of punishment.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:44 PM

A couple times when my oldest has said something mouthy, I froze, gave her a long look, and then said, "I think I just hallucinated because you did NOT just say that to me." I am pretty easygoing but they all know not to wake the dragon.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:47 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,750,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
A couple times when my oldest has said something mouthy, I froze, gave her a long look, and then said, "I think I just hallucinated because you did NOT just say that to me." I am pretty easygoing but they all know not to wake the dragon.
Julia you need to pull out THE STARE for Magritte!

Old 12-02-2011, 03:51 PM

What did you just say to me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting