Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 07:38 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,676,096 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I argued and argued over names. If it was a boy he wanted him to be Terence Jr. WELL why should he get to be named after HIM lol my name is Julie so I want my son to be named Julien. I mean I did all the work. lol.

Anyways we have a girl so that ended that. But then he tried to name my daughter after him!!!! "Tereana" UMMMM NO! I chose Trinitee. I gave her his first letter and thats as far as I would go.

Other names I like are

Serenity
Raine
Goddess (I would never use it but its cute)

James
Damien
Demetrius
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 07:41 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,653,874 times
I was dismayed to see that both of my kids names are in the top 10 this year. Lily and Lucas. When I named my daughter in 2000, I did not know it was becoming a popular name. Luke, I knew it was poplar but we both just love it.

I like Finn now, but don't think about names much anymore since we're done having kids.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:42 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,381,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
I personally like more traditional names.

Boys:
Benjamin
Thomas
Jack
Edward
Alexander
William
Arthur
David

Girls:
Lucy
Amelia
Eleanor
Abigail
Margaret
Jane
Ruthie
Ruby
Caroline

I like a lot of the names that were popular back in the early 1900s.

But I'm probably going to have a hard time deciding on a name when I have children. But I want 4 kids so maybe it'll make things easier.
great lists, my daughter has a 'turn of the century" name, I love old, classic names

Old 12-03-2011, 07:56 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,447,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltheEndofTime View Post
I am obsessed with baby names. Have been with the past year. So I was wondering, what are your favorite names? Did you get to use any of them? Did you and your SO fight over baby names? If so, who won?

Do you regret any of the names you did use?
Dh named dd#1. He wanted a daughter named after one of his old girlfriends. I changed the spelling to fit our last name. He wanted the german spelling but we have an irish last name so I gave her the celtic spelling. He's learned to live with it.

Dd#2 we argued over. We must have gone through 50 names before we settled on one. She's named after a woman I attended grad school with. She just impressed me and we tend to like the names of people who impress us. Interestingly, dd is a lot like her. Smart, kind and generous. Though she is a bit of a diva these days...but she's 14, what do you expect?

I don't really regret either of their names. I'm happy with dd#2's name and I agreed to let dh name dd#1, though if I had my choice she would have been named Samantha. I think it fits her.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:10 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,676,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Dh named dd#1. He wanted a daughter named after one of his old girlfriends. I changed the spelling to fit our last name. He wanted the german spelling but we have an irish last name so I gave her the celtic spelling. He's learned to live with it.

Dd#2 we argued over. We must have gone through 50 names before we settled on one. She's named after a woman I attended grad school with. She just impressed me and we tend to like the names of people who impress us. Interestingly, dd is a lot like her. Smart, kind and generous. Though she is a bit of a diva these days...but she's 14, what do you expect?

I don't really regret either of their names. I'm happy with dd#2's name and I agreed to let dh name dd#1, though if I had my choice she would have been named Samantha. I think it fits her.
Wow. That would be a HUGE argument for me.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:28 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,452,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
I was dismayed to see that both of my kids names are in the top 10 this year. Lily and Lucas. When I named my daughter in 2000, I did not know it was becoming a popular name. Luke, I knew it was poplar but we both just love it.

I like Finn now, but don't think about names much anymore since we're done having kids.
This happened to me back when my youngest was born years ago!

The name we chose for him was not on ANYBODY's radar - you NEVER heard it anywhere. By the next year the name was in the top 10

Who knew I would be a trendsetter, LOL

Old 12-03-2011, 10:03 AM

2,966 posts, read 3,904,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's the name of my neighbor's little boy! I think it's a great name. His sister is Lillian.
I like Harrison as well. My son has a Harrison in his class and his sisters are Reagan, Madison and Kennedy- all of their kids have former president last names, which is an interesting choice...

Old 12-03-2011, 11:34 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,452,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
I like Harrison as well. My son has a Harrison in his class and his sisters are Reagan, Madison and Kennedy- all of their kids have former president last names, which is an interesting choice...
That's kind of cool actually

I fell in love with the name Harrison after watching Harrison Ford in one of my favorite movies - Witness

Witness Theatrical Trailer - YouTube

Old 12-05-2011, 11:24 AM

18,387 posts, read 31,510,025 times
my sons have the best names on earth,
but then, I have to say that, we named them and each had their own meaning.

Omar
Cezzre
De Leyon

Old 12-05-2011, 11:32 PM

23,930 posts, read 32,254,616 times
I am not a fan of made up names or names that are strange for the sake of being unusual.
I am equally not a fan of overly "classic" names - one can make sill statement by naming a child a name that has seen better days. Some names NEED to be retired.

How to know? If parents are being called that name and you want to name a baby that - don't.
So if your best friend is named Jessica or Jennifer resist that temptation to name your baby daughter that.

In my generation, many girls were named, Karen, Susan, Deborah "Debbie" and boys were named Scott, Steve, Brian and Bob.

I know of no teens with those names. My Teens have names of THEIR generation. I think that this has been a help to them socially and in other ways. Their friends like their names.My children's names, I mean.

My children have many friend who dislike their names. Two of them are "Mary" and "John" Classic to some. Fuddy duddy to others.

They also know a girl named "Sequin" a very unhappy girl.

There are names that fall somewhere in the middle. They are of your "Golden Mean" names.
Not my word for them, but the words of the authors of the now classic "Beyond of Jennifer and Jason"

Look at names that will make your child happy - not your dead great aunt, your husband or on the other side, that will show your crazy and creative side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting