Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 06:54 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Around here there is zero tolerance for kids bringing any medication to school. Kids have been expelled from our public schools for bringing Tylenol to school. When my son had a contusion on his ankle the orthopedist told him to take Aleve because it lasted all day and he would not have to take another dose at school and risk being busted for drugs. It's kind of silly that a high school student can be expelled from school over Advil. But it is all because of zero tolerance for drugs.
It's a conundrum, truly, because zero tolerance for the most extreme form of the behavior sounds so good in theory, but in practice, it seems to be applied for minor infractions that make no sense. I'm not sure what the answer is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 07:12 AM

17,380 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Quote:
Around here there is zero tolerance for kids bringing any medication to school. Kids have been expelled from our public schools for bringing Tylenol to school. When my son had a contusion on his ankle the orthopedist told him to take Aleve because it lasted all day and he would not have to take another dose at school and risk being busted for drugs. It's kind of silly that a high school student can be expelled from school over Advil. But it is all because of zero tolerance for drugs.
I read about a kid who was suspended for bringing a marijuana like drug to school. He ordered it off the internet and since it wasn't technically marijuana and it hadn't yet been classified as an illegal drug, he didn't expect to be expelled for having it at school. But that is what happened. Zero tolerance.

I don't know why he brought this stuff to school but I'll bet most parents wouldn't want him selling or sharing this stuff with their kids.

I'll bet an attorney could have argued that this stuff was an "herb" not a "drug" and thus should be classified as a "food"....

That same attorney would have a devil of a time arguing the same thing about Advil as it clearly has a pharmaceutical purpose, even though you can't get high off of it.

Last edited by springfieldva; 12-07-2011 at 07:24 AM..

Old 12-07-2011, 07:48 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
I wish the OP would come back and clarify some things....AFTER she sees the report. Too bad she couldn't talk to a couple of the witnesses herself, at least get together with the kids and the parents involved in the actual incidents. Perhaps they could come to an understanding and get to the bottom of this whole mess.

Although the zero-tolerance policies were MEANT to provide safety and security, they can be absolutely ridiculous!! A few years ago, I had a grade school aged son who was given 2 days of ISS and written up. Why? Because he was getting ready for school, found a couple of BBs.....BBs!!! that he had dropped on the floor the previous day. He stuck them in his pocket. When he was at school, bored....he pulled them out of his pocket and was rolling them around on his desk! Yeah, he got written up for bringing AMMUNITION to school!! I friggin kid you not!! Hey, everyone involved though it was the stupidest thing EVER!...including the principal. That's the only reason he wasn't expelled from school for the rest of the year.

As has already been posted....zero policy can mean ZERO SENSE! Also mentioned, this girl may have been the instigator, the "inappropriate touching" MAY have been an accident (with the exception of the ass slapping)...and until the OP comes back with more information, I'm definitely witholding my judgement. For the record...it's not likely that my daughter would have initiated contact in a situation like that...but if some boy had put her in a headlock (she has 3 brothers), she would have punched him in the crotch....IMMEDIATELY. She wouldn't have been in a headlock for long I'll tell you that much. Once she got out of that headlock though, she probably would have been expelled.....for kicking the sh*t out of him AND "inappropriate touching".

Incidentally....in 8th grade, we were having a co-ed P.E. free day. Some of us were playing BB. A young man and myself were going up for a jump ball. When the ball was tossed, I went up for the hit. He reached forward and grabbed one boob in each hand. He then landed on his back, about 6 ft away. Neither one of us got into trouble. Why? Justice was served!! Immediately! No parents called, no visit to principals office, he never did it again! The funny thing about it? We ended up being best friends....right up through high school and at our 15 year reunion, laughed our a$$es off about it. He saying, "OMG! Remember that time in PE in jr. high!?" LOL

Last edited by beachmel; 12-07-2011 at 08:19 AM..

Old 12-07-2011, 08:14 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
It's a conundrum, truly, because zero tolerance for the most extreme form of the behavior sounds so good in theory, but in practice, it seems to be applied for minor infractions that make no sense. I'm not sure what the answer is.
That's exactly what happens. When a school district declares zero tolerance on violence, bullying, drugs, etc...at school nobody could possibly oppose the policy. After all nobody wants to be seen as being in favor of violence, bullying, drugs or whatever at school right? If anyone dares to speak out about how stupid zero tolerance policies are they are seen as being in favor of these undesirable behaviors instead of being against policies that do not make any sense whatsoever.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:18 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
Quote:
That's exactly what happens. When a school district declares zero tolerance on violence, bullying, drugs, etc...at school nobody could possibly oppose the policy. After all nobody wants to be seen as being in favor of violence, bullying, drugs or whatever at school right? If anyone dares to speak out about how stupid zero tolerance policies are they are seen as being in favor of these undesirable behaviors instead of being against policies that do not make any sense whatsoever.
Yep!

Old 12-07-2011, 08:27 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
That same attorney would have a devil of a time arguing the same thing about Advil as it clearly has a pharmaceutical purpose, even though you can't get high off of it.
But who wants to have to hire an attorney for something so stupid?

Old 12-07-2011, 08:33 AM

17,380 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Quote:
But who wants to have to hire an attorney for something so stupid?
And who could afford it...

Old 12-07-2011, 07:55 PM

105 posts, read 364,331 times
TY CD for your feed back and criticism

I havent been up here b/c Ive been working to find the best solution for my child which will not be the alternate school which has NO structure (maybe I assume wake county does, and does not focus on the problem at hand)

I will keep CD updated like one poster stated AFTER I receive the report

For clarification: Posters please know that Im fully aware and is sadden by what my child has done. Im also aware that there are two sides to every story....The fact remains is there were 2 girls and 2 seperate incidents but they were reported on the same Friday and he DID touch them inappropriately. One girl he touched in the gym on the butt the other girl he stated they were playing around the day after they stopped dating and he was talking to another girl outside of the bathroom she hit and kicked him and ran into the bathroom, he stood by the wall and waited for her to come out, when she did her in the headlock (not hard, just playing) and held her on the wall until she said that she was sorry, he then let her go....at that time a staff member saw him and said that he touched her in the crouch area.
He also said that smack A** friday applies to Girl-Girl/Boy-Girl/Girl-Boy, the staff nor principal stated they were not aware this has been going on

Like I said, I have to read the witness statement which will be done tomorrow and I will keep CD updated

Old 12-08-2011, 07:26 AM

452 posts, read 898,411 times
Stand up for your son!!!! If this was an accident on the touching of crouch area then it was an accident and the staff member was over reacting which could have happened. The girl instigated the whole thing by hitting him and kicking him, his reaction by waiting was stupid on his part. Let him know this but let him know that we all make mistakes and you cannot hold this against him as long as he knows and will not do it again. Let it go and let the school know that just because they did not know smack A** Friday was going on and it appears that this is not the only school that they are at fault also, your son was the one that got caught out of many. Please let your son know that he should not place a girl or boy in a headlock unless he is afraid for his life this is not "play", you can actually hurt someone really bad without knowing. Good Luck and once again this is a life lesson at least he knows now and will not do it later on like many grownups do.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:29 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,358,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3a's View Post
Let it go and let the school know that just because they did not know smack A** Friday was going on and it appears that this is not the only school that they are at fault also, your son was the one that got caught out of many.
So if you get stopped for speeding and say "But everyone else was doing it too!" the cops should say "Okay, have a nice day"?

I don't think the whole "Stand up for your son!" stance is a good plan at all. The idea should be to speak to everyone involved, get a clear picture of what actually happened and then address the situation like a rational adult. No need for theatrics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting