Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 09:00 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by myheartisindallas View Post
Why does there have to be a 'victim'? NONE of you know what part the girl played in this, not even the boy's mother. You cannot claim she is a 'victim' without knowing ALL the facts.

People are way too quick to cry victim. WAY too quick. There is not always a victim and it's wrong for parents to make their kids think they are victims.
You are right. There isn't always a victim. But sometimes there is a victim. When a girl is put in a headlock, pushed against a wall, and inappropriately touched there is a victim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 09:01 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
I would find out how she put herself in that position. Actually, my daughter would have flattened anyone who did that to her, but I taught her to stand up for herself and fight her battles fairly, honestly, and effectively.

My daughter knows where the line is. She knows what is appropriate and what is not. Horseplay is not a bad thing.

The OP said he 'touched her', she didn't say he 'fondled' her. Where did you get that? There IS a difference. Also, none of you know whether the girl was participating in the horseplay or what her part in it was. Boys, not even middle school boys, randomly pick a girl out of the crowd and slam her against a locker and put her in a headlock, so we're not even hearing the whole story.
oh.my.gosh.

the OP said "touched inappropriately" and that it was not her butt. I'm at a loss for words right now.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
It wasn't life changing, and it wasn't prosecutable. Why make it bigger than it was?
were you there? We've been told that a boy pushed a girl up against a wall, put her in a headlock and touched her inappropriately. What part of that is ok with you? How do you know it isn't prosecutable?

Old 12-05-2011, 09:04 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
What was the "inappropriate" touching ? He smacked a girl on her butt? They expelled him for that? He has no history of bad behavior?

Maybe putting him in another school is a good idea.

Been a long time since I was in school but if a boy touched a girl in a way she didn't like he got smacked and it went no further.
Good lord, if we had gotten expelled for this kind of thing when I was in the 8th grade, there wouldn't be anyone left in school.

How absurd.

I agree with Trackwatch, maybe you need to find a school where they allow children to be normal and don't punish them for it.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-05-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Good lord, if we had gotten expelled for this kind of thing when I was in the 8th grade, there wouldn't be anyone left in school.

How absurd.

I agree with Trackwatch, maybe you need to find a school where they allow children to be normal and don't punish them for it.

20yrsinBranson
It was NOT a smack on the butt, of you read further.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:08 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
It wasn't life changing, and it wasn't prosecutable. Why make it bigger than it was?
Trying to stir the pot? OK. For all we know the girl is in counseling right now because some kid put her in a headlock and fondled her against her will.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:09 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,750,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
oh.my.gosh.

the OP said "touched inappropriately" and that it was not her butt. I'm at a loss for words right now.
So am I!

And it was witnessed by staff member!

OP I agree with the schools decision. This is a matter that is not to be taken lightly by ALL parties involved. If you truly believe that your son's actions are wrong but do not warrant an explusion from school then I suggest that your son needs to take responsibilty for his actions by having a meeting with the principal and all families involved. He needs to apologize publicly and address what he did was wrong. If the school is willing to accept him back under the condition that he recieves some form of counseling for his actions and does not get out of line for the rest of the year then so be it. But please please OP do not condone the actions of your son and think that his actions should not have some consequences to it.

Horseplaying around, headlocks, inappropiate touching is not acceptable in any school including alternative ones, private schools and public. As parents you and his father need to have serious discussion with him about what is appropiate behavior in public and even in the privacy of your own home. If he does not get it and continues to deem it acceptable he needs some form of therapy or sports in which he can channel his aggressive behaviour.

I wish you all the best and good luck!

Old 12-05-2011, 09:10 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,180,716 times
Quote:
If I was walking down the street and a man put me in a headlock, pushed me against a wall and fondled me, would that be prosecutable? Would it be life changing?

Yes and Yes

Imagine the same scenario except we'll change the street to the office and the man to a coworker. Would the man get fired? Would I press charges?

He better and yes.

Now why should this behavior be tolerated at school exactly?

Old 12-05-2011, 09:12 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,750,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
If I was walking down the street and a man put me in a headlock, pushed me against a wall and fondled me, would that be prosecutable? Would it be life changing?

Yes and Yes

Imagine the same scenario except we'll change the street to the office and the man to a coworker. Would the man get fired? Would I press charges?

He better and yes.

Now why should this behavior be tolerated at school exactly?
Completely agree Dorthy! I do not understand why the OP would even think its ok that he continues in the same school. I am surprised though that they haven't prosecuted him for it. I know in my County when it comes to something like that usually the police are involved as well. The OP's son is very lucky that he got expelled and not worse!

Old 12-05-2011, 09:15 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coco29 View Post
No it goes further 1 parent was concerned and the other 1 was witnessed by staff....I wish it was just the butt....he plays a lot & said he was playn by puttn 1 grl in the headlock and makn her apologize for hitting him but I've been told he pushed her up against the wall & touched her....he admitted that both times were the butt & they were playn with the other incident....the alternate school can't even control the students there...ie bullies, selln pills @ school, fighters....my son will be ate alive, he is almost an A student never been suspended EVER, & is well liked by his teachers IDK What 2 do
IF THIS WOULD HAVE HAPPENED WITH MY GIRLS I JUST WOULD HAVE CALLED THE PARENTS MYSELF...or if it happened 2 me @ that age I would have (did) pull hiss pants fown & smacked him
I am having a really hard time figuring out what happened. He says he put a girl in a headlock to make her apologize for hitting him. Someone else says he shoved her against the wall and touched her, but I'm not sure where. People on this thread are using the word "fondle." DID he push a girl against a wall?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting