Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 03:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,587 times

Advertisements

We have made the move to the bed for our 2 1/2 year old girl and was good for about 2 weeks and now she refuses to stay in bed after we leave the room. Now naptime and bedtime has become a game to her and a HUGE struggle for us. Any ideas on how to keep her in her bed to fall asleep by herself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 07:01 PM

932 posts, read 1,272,777 times
I think it depends on the kiddo!

My daughter switched right at 2, if I remember correctly, and other than a couple of rough nights right at first-it was an easy transition.

My son is 23 months old and quite content to sleep in his crib. HEs climbed out twice after waking from a nap, but most times is quite content to sit and wait for me. I don't anticipate having a problem with him wanting to come and sleep with us, as he is not one of those cuddle and sleep kids (daughter was though!) he likes his space, and for no one to be touching him! lol

If the climbing out increases, I may switch him over-but since we will be moving this summer, I hate to toss a ton of changes at him too quickly ( this child is anti-change!) lol

Old 02-24-2008, 07:36 PM

335 posts, read 1,533,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by august2 View Post
We have made the move to the bed for our 2 1/2 year old girl and was good for about 2 weeks and now she refuses to stay in bed after we leave the room. Now naptime and bedtime has become a game to her and a HUGE struggle for us. Any ideas on how to keep her in her bed to fall asleep by herself?
can you give her benadryl to make her dozy?

my mother used to give me a glass of wine at night to help me sleep when i was a baby. she mixed in a little water. i don't think parents should give a child alcohol though.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:03 PM

145 posts, read 866,208 times
I knew I would need the crib for little one #2 after she grew out of the bassinet so I prepared my oldest by removing the side rail of the crib and pushed the end of a twin bed up against the crib mattress (they were even in height) so he still had the security of his crib but started getting used to the extra room of the twin bed. When I moved him over to just the twin, and gave little sister the crib about 3 months later it went very smooth.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:28 AM

932 posts, read 1,272,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by august2 View Post
with my daughter we put those door knob things on the inside of her door (so kids cant open it) until she got used to being in her bed. I don't think theres a way to make them STAY in the bed, but you can make them stay in the room!

She fell asleep a couple of times by her door...but figured out that since she wasnt' getting her way, that the bed was more comfortable! Once she figured that out, we took out the door knob thing...

Old 02-25-2008, 06:11 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,540,967 times
LOL, this is a problem I'm facing right now. My son is 21 months and his crib belongs to my sister-in-law. (She loaned it to us when he was born.) Well, she is now pregnant and due in June, so I want to get him out of the crib before her baby comes. I'm a little worried because he is all over the bed when he sleeps, and I don't know that he will stay in a toddler bed. I will have to put a child lock on his door handle and hope for the best! I'm hoping all goes well!

Old 02-25-2008, 07:52 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,550,094 times
OMG! If your child is sleeping well in the crib and has no desire to climb out...leave him/her alone....

Don't fix it if it is not broken!

Old 02-26-2008, 12:46 PM

2 posts, read 4,637 times
Default Wait until SHE is ready, not your Dr. :>)

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2kidsmom View Post
What age do you move a two year old from the crib to a toddler bed? I prefer keeping her in the crib because she moves around alot while she sleeps. But, her pediatrician told me today that it was time to switch her. I would rather wait until she's closer to three. Tell me what you did with your kids....Thanks!
We did not switch our son until he was almost 3 years (just over two months ago) and b/c he began climbing out of the crib. If it were not for the climbing, I would still have him in the crib. Bedtime and naptime are a bit of a challenge since he can get up. Just like every other "milestone" - let your kid do some of the driving and let you know when she is ready.

When you do switch, make the investment in a railing to keep her in the bed. Get her a special pillow or something to mark the milestone for her and make it appealing. Good luck. BTW - I think "locking" your child in the room is horrible. When the kid is ready for a bed - then you have to put in a little extra parenting and teach them a new sleep habit.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:34 PM

1,969 posts, read 5,956,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot juice View Post
can you give her benadryl to make her dozy?

my mother used to give me a glass of wine at night to help me sleep when i was a baby. she mixed in a little water. i don't think parents should give a child alcohol though.
OMG! ummmmm NO

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
OMG! If your child is sleeping well in the crib and has no desire to climb out...leave him/her alone....

Don't fix it if it is not broken!
I totally agree! Sheesh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting