U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 09:46 AM

25,906 posts, read 40,272,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
I'm sorry, but I have to say this: I am surprised that so many of you are answering this question.
Maybe it's just me, but I cannot imagine my husband coming on a message board like this this and asking people whether their children sleep in their "undies" or not. Why would a grown man ask these questions? Maybe it's reverse sexism on my part, but I find it inappropriate. I might not think twice if it was group of women discussing it, but coming from a man...
You're right: it is "reverse" sexism. This forum is not a Mommy Club.

Last edited by JustJulia; 12-14-2011 at 10:28 AM..
Rate this post positively

Old 12-14-2011, 10:02 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,678,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Don't leave, aidxen! For the most part, I enjoy your posts.
Agree!

Aixden, we may have different approaches to parenting, but on the whole I value your input on this board. It would be a shame to lose your perspective here.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:13 AM

29,919 posts, read 73,191,274 times
Funny. I have no idea what my kids sleep in. I see them every night and morning, but I never pay attention to what they are wearing at bed time. Whatever makes them comfortable I guess. We do not have a problem being seen in underwear. the older girls sually at least wrap up in a towel after showering or swimming because that makes them comfortable. For the boys, I see no real difference between boxers and shorts or swim trunks. We also wear swimsuits around the house when we get out of the pool. (those of us who are old and less than perfectl fit usually throw on a shirt when we can though.).

Old 12-14-2011, 12:07 PM

14,781 posts, read 40,642,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
The OP is Aidxen and all we know is he has a teenage girl that he still paddles if she does something wrong, which infact is all his kids punisment, teenager or not.
All I have to say is his daughter must be very patient and have a lot of self restraint because I would have gone ape **** had someone tried to paddle me at 16.
Edit...removed this, it wasn't in good taste on my part, sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
Well it's goodby.
I do not need the sort of personal degradation that goes on here. It was not just this thread but others post and we get a list of responses that attack the poster rather than debating the issue.

I am the worlds best parent - no.
I hope I am a good parent. I know that I am not a normal - do nothing, go with the flow parent. I do believe in corporal punishment, I do believe in people taking responsibility for their own actions. I think sending people to prison is in general stupid. I believe in God. I believe that science helps us understand our universe and makes for some really exciting technological developments. I believe that kids should show respect for their parents and adults should show respect for one another. I find people fascinating. Some things we do now and feel are normal, people in future generations will see as abusive or simply wrong. I wonder if future generations will demand better respect of adults by kids and whether they will have a greater social value associated with mariage. Who knows. Time will tell.
Those are some of the things I believe.

I wish you all the best in your child raising.
I am sure you know exactly how to do it and aint nobody gonna tll you otherwise.

Bye
Aidxen
Don't leave, we were just starting to get a few more dad's around here. Parenting is a very personal thing and I think many people find it hard to disassociate concepts and differences in belief over something that they are passionate about.

Obviously we all have an interest in raising and caring for our kids and want to do the best we can within our own values. This forum is simply a way for people who actually give a crap about raising their kids a place to discuss parenting topics and trends, receive some advice and engage in a little anonymous complaining.

The problem I see is that there are a number of people who simply refuse to respect others beliefs on positions and allow that disagreement to spread into all aspects of conversations with people. I try to let the argument in one thread not spill into another. I can vehemently disagree with say Dew on one topic, but be in complete agreement on the next. What I don't understand is why some people can't do that. Why can't you address each topic as its own topic and not allow a prejudice or disagreement from another spill over. Given, some people deserve that treatment, but not everyone, learn to tell the difference.

Last edited by NJGOAT; 12-14-2011 at 01:09 PM..

Old 12-14-2011, 01:24 PM

32,524 posts, read 34,607,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Don't leave, we were just starting to get a few more dad's around here.

I can vehemently disagree with say Dew on one topic, but be in complete agreement on the next. What I don't understand is why some people can't do that. Why can't you address each topic as its own topic and not allow a prejudice or disagreement from another spill over. Given, some people deserve that treatment, but not everyone, learn to tell the difference.
Glad to be such a shining star example!

But yes. I too try to take each post separately. I've given kudos to posters who I totally disagree with on other topics. And I've learned things from people who I disagree with. Everyone brings something.

(It also helps to keep a sense of humor.)

Old 12-15-2011, 05:36 PM

25,906 posts, read 40,272,937 times
Thread is closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting