Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 03:33 PM

55 posts, read 142,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
After reading your second post I see that you are placing conditions on some of the gifts (gift card) and wanting to come for multiple visits (Christmas eve, day and lunch with the gift card). I don't really understand that part. If you want to give, that's a wonderful thing. Give for the sake of giving but don't expect things in return. Being on the receiving end of that kind of giving often feels icky. Just my 2 cents.
I never said Christmas Eve, and only two visits.
One to meet and verify.
We'd give her the other 1-2 gifts for her to wrap up, well before Christmas Day.
One more Christmas Day, for maybe 10-15 minutes to bring an extra gift that Santa forgot.

Lunch was only an idea to replace her invitation for us to dinner. The whole matter of lunch, or a meal can be scrapped.

If they do not keep that Christmas Day appointment, maybe early afternoon, then we know we may have gotten taken for a few dollars. No big deal.

We know the people who have kids, don't understand people who do not have kids, this time of year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 03:35 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times
One year I volunteered to deliver donated gifts through an organization. I can't recall the name but we had a truckload of gifts and went to all of the houses on the list and delivered them one by one a few days before Christmas. My friend's husband was dressed as Santa. It was really fun. I'd volunteer to do something like that if you want to "see the joy". No strings attached.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:38 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suenjohn View Post
One to meet and verify.
We'd give her the other 1-2 gifts for her to wrap up, well before Christmas Day.
One more Christmas Day, for maybe 10-15 minutes to bring an extra gift that Santa forgot.

Lunch was only an idea to replace her invitation for us to dinner. The whole matter of lunch, or a meal can be scrapped.

If they do not keep that Christmas Day appointment, maybe early afternoon, then we know we may have gotten taken for a few dollars. No big deal.

We know the people who have kids, don't understand people who do not have kids, this time of year.
Perhaps not, but what you are doing is simply wrong. You could give a rats ass about those people or helping them. You just want to see the look on a childs face opening a present and spend some time with them to fill some aching need you have.

There are ways you could actually help children and people in need, even get the satisfaction of seeing them receive the presents without basically victimizing and USING people in a desperate situation in order to fill your own perverse needs.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
One to meet and verify.

I misread Christmas Dinner for Christmas eve. Sorry.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Perhaps not, but what you are doing is simply wrong. You could give a rats ass about those people or helping them. You just want to see the look on a childs face opening a present and spend some time with them to fill some aching need you have.

There are ways you could actually help children and people in need, even get the satisfaction of seeing them receive the presents without basically victimizing and USING people in a desperate situation in order to fill your own perverse needs.
I have to agree with this. Sorry OP but giving with expectations isn't really giving. It feels icky.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:40 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
One to meet and verify.

How so? Wanting to accept your offer of gifts does not mean they want to spend Christmas with you. Just give them the gifts ahead of time and don't go back on Christmas. That just isn't necessary.

Christmas doesn't have to be about kids. Even if it is, there are other ways to go about it that are much safer in every way. Someone has to deliver the toys for tots and the star tree gifts. Volunteer to do that.

If Christmas is a hard time of the year for you, go on a vacation or something. Our childless neighbors went on a cruise every Christmas.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:42 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
One year I volunteered to deliver donated gifts through an organization. I can't recall the name but we had a truckload of gifts and went to all of the houses on the list and delivered them one by one a few days before Christmas. My friend's husband was dressed as Santa. It was really fun. I'd volunteer to do something like that if you want to "see the joy". No strings attached.
that would be fun. Our church adopts families at an inner-city school. We have the option if driving the gifts and food down there to be picked up. We did that last year. Neat experience.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
first bold - and if they pull out a gun and tell you to get in the house?
second bold is yours
3rd - I meet people in a neutral location. I don't like going to stranger's houses or having strangers in mine.
4th and 5th bold are yours
last bold - This is for you, not them. This makes me think you have selfish motives. Poor kids don't want a round of mini golf with strangers. They want clothes, coats, and a toy or 2.
We've bought and sold items on Craigslist. It is not scam headquarters.
If I am buying something I go to their house. If I am selling something they come to our house. Some times we meet halfway, if they are out of town.

Video games and mini golf, was to address the people who think going to their house is a bad idea. If we avoid their house, then it is to give them what they ask for (the lady) and not even know if she has a 9 year old son.
We would not play the golf or games, just sit and chat with his Mother.
That too, just like a meal, can be totally voided.

All parties want to be comfortable.
We do not feel we are being selfish.
We are desiring to meet them to verify, provide some gifts to the child's Mother. If we go back for a 10 minute visit on Christmas Day, and they are not home, we leave, end of story.

If this happens, I will be sure to take a few photos.
We, in know way, think this is a crime waiting to happen on their end. That's exaggerated fear.

She was already told we have heard from other people, and we have, and we are going to do what we can afford, and go with the most sincere situation.

A mixed reaction to this, as well as Craigslist, is not a surprise.
We expected a cross section of opinions.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
How so? Wanting to accept your offer of gifts does not mean they want to spend Christmas with you. Just give them the gifts ahead of time and don't go back on Christmas. That just isn't necessary.

Christmas doesn't have to be about kids. Even if it is, there are other ways to go about it that are much safer in every way. Someone has to deliver the toys for tots and the star tree gifts. Volunteer to do that.

If Christmas is a hard time of the year for you, go on a vacation or something. Our childless neighbors went on a cruise every Christmas.
I agree with this as well. This is their last Christmas together. Why would you want to intrude on this family's special time together?

Old 12-15-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
that would be fun. Our church adopts families at an inner-city school. We have the option if driving the gifts and food down there to be picked up. We did that last year. Neat experience.
I'm sure that was rewarding for them and YOU.

We have not looked into that in our community, and we can look into it.
Maybe tomorrow I make some phone calls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting