Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 05:21 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
We all know that the tv schedule has been taken over by so called reality television. Do you think some of the shows harmful or helpful to your kids?? Those like the pregnant teen shows, Bachelor shows, and yes the "Multiple children" shows, do they resemble any reality you have experienced?? If they don't-- how would you explain the difference to your child?
I have never even considered the question because then *I* would have to watch them. Shudder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 07:19 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,834 times
I wasn't really thinking of the cooking shows, or the singing-dancing contests, they are more of contests. The cooking shows are educational. Not really the "reality of living type"'.

I think what bothers me about the Jersey Shore type is that they are so unreal, and exaggerated. Even "say yes to the dress', has to have some adversity or controversy going on between the bride, or the consultant, with the mom, or bridesmaids. The fighting and excess on the few housewives shows that I've seen, seems very staged. I hope that young teens would not think that would be the proper way to act. Actually I really did not know anyone acted like that.

I can see how viewing one of the shows could be a good jumping off point for discussions with your teens--about such topics as teen pregnancy, drinking, behavior toward others, --in general decent adult responsible behavior. But do you think these shows are having the effect of making these actions acceptable?

Old 12-16-2011, 07:42 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
do they resemble any reality you have experienced??
Several reality shows are filmed in places I actually know. The "Real House Wife" of Orange County is more likely to be a 35year old Hispanic woman who has three kids, a job, recycles aluminum cans for spending money and a husband who falls asleep watching TV every night. That show is so silly it's laughable.

Laguna Beach. I heard one of my sons - we know the town well - call it "bogus" and that was enough to make sure I didn't waste electricity.

I have watched something with basketball wives and it was mildly amusing if only because I've never actually seen grown women duking it out on the roof of a restaurant in L.A.

Thankfully my kids are grown and know where the "off" button is.

BTW Funi - Crime went UP in Laguna Beach after the show aired. The local cops attributed it to people from out of state coming to town because of the show. The locals actively hated the negative stereotypes the show projected. (I'm guessing the people of the Jersey Shore feel the same way.)

Last edited by DewDropInn; 12-16-2011 at 07:50 PM..

Old 12-16-2011, 08:04 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
My kids are 12, 15, 17. I do not censor the tv viewing of the older two at all.

My 12 year old doesn't watch a whole lot of tv. He likes Pawn Stars and American Pickers on The History Channel. He also likes Mythbusters. Other than that he watches sports on tv.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:19 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,471,703 times
My DD is 13. These are the "reality" shows we watch:

Cake Boss
Toddlers/Tiaras
Dance Moms
Real Housewives of NYC
Real Housewives of Beverly Hills
RuPaul's Drag Race and Drag U
Kardashians (whichever one is on --- she doesn't really watch it; I do)
Celebrity Apprentice

None of those "you think you can dance" or "x-factor" or "american idol". Those are all crap and not the least bit like what you truly have to go through to get an agent and manager, no less a contract. It's all a popularity contest, not really based on true talent, and I'm sure the sponsors have a huge say in who stays and who goes.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:48 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,670,074 times
American Idol is crap but the Kardashians and Real Housewives is not?

Interesting.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:57 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Oh, they are all crap - but my son is 16 and he pretty much watches what he wants. Except for the 'Adult On Demand' channel that you have to pay to order something. I better not find that on one of my bills!

He started out watching Fear Factor when he was young; all the kids would talk about the show at school. He watched it for a couple of years but when they started using needles and eating maggots; even he had had enough.

Now the only reality shows he watches are the ones I watch and if he happens to be stuck in the room with me.

Dance Moms, Real Housewives of NJ and BH, Chef Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares (love that show!), The Bachelor (I know); Chopped ~ that 's all I can think of.

OH and one he likes that I can't stand: Bridezillas. He just thinks they are INSANE and I think it's kind of like watching a horror show for him; just can't turn away.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:39 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,274,378 times
I've watched a few of them and in bits of pieces and think most of them are crap. Watching Jersey Shore for 20 minutes or so was enough to gag a maggot. Around here (New Jersey), it is a very popular show and I've seen many young girls wearing the "I love Snooki" sweatshirts, T-shirts. She is such a wonderful and inspiring role model for these young girls....

My kids love:
-Propery Virgins or any of the house hunting shows. We always have contests of who can guess the pick.
-Some of the cooking shows like Dives, Diners (forget the name but the show with the spikey haired guy)
-Gold Rush

Maybe a few more but we don't watch that much TV

Old 12-17-2011, 11:11 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Watching Jersey Shore for 20 minutes or so was enough to gag a maggot.
Ha! I remember when my daughter came home from college and watched this once. I was STUNNED and couldn't quite wrap my mind around the whole thing. She insisted it was funny but I clearly am not the target audience! But even she didn't bother keeping up past season 1. I'm convinced it's pre teens and teens keeping this going, once you get past a certain age it has no appeal anymore.

Old 12-18-2011, 12:33 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
Laguna Beach isn't even on anymore! I did used to love that show and I loved The Hills because I was always the same age as everyone and I would sit with my girlfriends and say "OMG they are just like usssssss" In the grand scheme of Reality Shows I always found Laguna Beach and The Hills to be sorta harmless. All it really is is people talking about boys and having break ups and getting back together and crying. It was great to get hair and make up ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting