Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 05:20 PM

483 posts, read 1,221,783 times

Advertisements

No offense, but the OP even considering to "do" something about this really shows their small-town attitude/lifestyle. I've always gone by my golden rule: if it isn't your problem (doesn't directly effect you), don't put your nose where it doesn't belong.

Snitch on the wrong person or say the wrong thing and you might find yourself in a huge world of trouble. This has nothing to do with you or your son, so it should be left alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 05:23 PM

574 posts, read 1,064,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Bbekity, I'm not sure I could stand by and ignore knowledge of people selling drugs, even if nobody in my family was involved.

Does the school have a resource officer? That would probably be my first contact. I consider myself lucky that the situation never arose for me.
Mattie, when I called the high school, I had asked if there was an officer, but since he wasn't there everyday, I spoke to the VP. The names I gave were not a surprise.
A new event happened this weekend regarding the same group of kids. One of them, who has already been to rehab once, is being taken away from this area to give him another chance to get it together and graduate from high school. The mother posted on this kid's FB page telling his friends to leave him alone, not to write or write back to him and how glad she was that she was getting him out of this town as most kids seem to be druggies and alcoholics. Evidently she was very frustrated with her son's drug use and the friends that made it easy for him to use so she took his cell and called the parent's of his friends to let them know what they have been up to and her son. The response from some of his "friends" was disgusting and as disrespectful as any message she could get. It gave me some more names though to watch for...self described seller's and user's. If you remember, I wrote about how stupid some of these kids are for publicly talking about their drug and alcohol use and trying to score. Her son was the most open about his use. Everything he wrote about had to do with acid and pot. The pictures he posted were of him completely wasted. His friends are begging his mom to keep him in their school so he can graduate with his "friends" and she should just drug test him! One or two kids did have the maturity to accept responsibility for their part in his use and apologized to her and told the other kids to back off and leave her alone. She has her own page but no place to leave a message. Her profile picture just says "Beware". I sent her a friend request in the meantime. Good for her.

Last edited by bbekity; 12-19-2011 at 05:37 PM..

Old 12-19-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidex View Post
No offense, but the OP even considering to "do" something about this really shows their small-town attitude/lifestyle. I've always gone by my golden rule: if it isn't your problem (doesn't directly effect you), don't put your nose where it doesn't belong.

Snitch on the wrong person or say the wrong thing and you might find yourself in a huge world of trouble. This has nothing to do with you or your son, so it should be left alone.
We are parent's and all parent's should care about their town and it's kids. I wanted to help get these kids out of business even if it is just one idiot kid. If you saw someone beating another person, would you just walk away because it didn't involve you?? If you saw dogs left in a car without the windows open, could you live with yourself by doing nothing??? Good for you...not for me. Having the knowledge of wrong doing and doing nothing is not an option.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Bbekity, I'm not sure I could stand by and ignore knowledge of people selling drugs, even if nobody in my family was involved.

Does the school have a resource officer? That would probably be my first contact. I consider myself lucky that the situation never arose for me.
Good for you Mattie.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:51 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,851,056 times
I have been avoiding this thread because I was afraid I would be misunderstood. I think that what a lot of the posters here were trying to say is be careful. This can be a very dangerous thing to get involved in. Phone calls to the police can be traced back to you and you never know if someone on the police force is one of the big dealers. It can be very dangerous for you and your family because you never know where it can lead back to. It could end with you getting some highs school kids to stop dealing, or those high school kids could be the lowest members of a very dangerous group. It is something to be very cautious about.

I am not saying to do nothing. I am just saying that you need to be careful with whatever you do.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
I have been avoiding this thread because I was afraid I would be misunderstood. I think that what a lot of the posters here were trying to say is be careful. This can be a very dangerous thing to get involved in. Phone calls to the police can be traced back to you and you never know if someone on the police force is one of the big dealers. It can be very dangerous for you and your family because you never know where it can lead back to. It could end with you getting some highs school kids to stop dealing, or those high school kids could be the lowest members of a very dangerous group. It is something to be very cautious about.

I am not saying to do nothing. I am just saying that you need to be careful with whatever you do.
I appreciate your concern. If I thought there was a danger, I never would have called. Since it wasn't my first time calling, I knew it was fine. There are no gangs here..most kids go to Ivy League schools. Since there is no surprise to the police or the school, they already know about this kid. I just wanted them to know he hasn't stopped so they won't stop trying. I have no idea if they have or haven't or they are busy with bigger fish to fry, but obviously, the drug use is a problem here.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:48 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbekity View Post
I appreciate your concern. If I thought there was a danger, I never would have called. Since it wasn't my first time calling, I knew it was fine. There are no gangs here..most kids go to Ivy League schools.
I think what people are trying to tell you is the person to worry about is the supplier to Future Ivy Leaguer Pusher. If HE sees his income is down because the local pusher is out of business HE is going to be unhappy.

Let the cops handle it. This is NOT someone you want to make unhappy and you really don't want to do anything to draw a target on yourself.

When cops bust hookers working the street, who is unhappier - the hooker or the John that has 20 hookers turning tricks for him?

Old 12-19-2011, 08:14 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
The poster never said the high school was located in an upper class white area . And believe it or not even people in upperclass areas run into hard times, and often kids are still bussed from lower income areas. Also i think the money factor is a bigger reason on why they do it rather than it 'makes them look cool'.
She might not have mentioned that it's an upper class neighborhood, but she did mention that a girl lost both of her parents to drug addiction. That's proof that there are children in the area who do have difficult lives in some way. Whatever. I guess it's irrelevant to the thread, except the OP made a big deal about it being a white upper class area, as if that makes a difference when it comes to drugs. The upper class areas always have lots of drugs because the kids have more money to spend. Same with the elite super expensive private high schools, which I know about first hand since I attended one.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
She might not have mentioned that it's an upper class neighborhood, but she did mention that a girl lost both of her parents to drug addiction. That's proof that there are children in the area who do have difficult lives in some way. Whatever. I guess it's irrelevant to the thread, except the OP made a big deal about it being a white upper class area, as if that makes a difference when it comes to drugs. The upper class areas always have lots of drugs because the kids have more money to spend. Same with the elite super expensive private high schools, which I know about first hand since I attended one.
Oh boy. Mentioning the demographics was to get a clearer picture of the families and kids and that they don't live in a gang infested area or some stereotypical drug area seen in the movies. Pretty sure I didn't make a "big deal" of it and congrats on your expensive education. Now that is a big deal

Old 12-20-2011, 07:59 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,851,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbekity View Post
Oh boy. Mentioning the demographics was to get a clearer picture of the families and kids and that they don't live in a gang infested area or some stereotypical drug area seen in the movies. Pretty sure I didn't make a "big deal" of it and congrats on your expensive education. Now that is a big deal
The fact that it is an upper-middle class area can make it more dangerous than if it was in a gang infested area. These kids have a lot of cash to spend and the higher up dealers want that cash. They really don't want to lose their business in an area that the cash is always flowing.

Just something to keep in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting