Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 01:37 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,030,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Wow. So you're saying that breastfeeding a baby is "gross" and you don't even want to be around your friend when she's nursing her baby?

I'm sorry.....but that is very sad and pathetic.
And Im sorry, I really dont care what you think.

She laughed and was fine with it.If I cant leave for a bit, I'll simply turn my back or something. She knows how my mind operates with things like this and it doesnt bother her.....I like her immensely otherwise I wouldnt have peeked onto here and lost my appetite for my dinner.

HER opinion matters to me. YOURS doesnt. kthanksbye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 05:51 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
I have a few questions about breastfeeding if any of you could please help me out.

ok I want to stop breastfeeding when my DD turns 6 months. Reason being that I work and im tired of spending every second of my breaks pumping. I need to eat and use the bathroom sometimes! lol but if I do that then im in pain from not pumping.

How do I wean my DD onto similac? Also how do I stop my milk from coming in. Is it going to hurt terribly?

Another question (tmi) I feel really sill asking this buttttt ever since breastfeeding my breasts arent as "attractive" as they once were. Will they go back to normal or am I stuck with these socks with tennis balls in them?
Ohio - You've gotten some great advice re: weaning by substituting formula for one feeding at a time. My son self-weaned at 16 months, but he started dropping feedings when he started solids. I didn't have engorgement at that point at all because it was such a gradual process with only one bedtime feeding towards the end. Your body will adjust, usually without too much discomfort if it's gradual enough.

Also, wanted to say good job for nursing for 6 months while also working! It must be tough to pump at work. If you decided to not pump at work, but that you still want to nurse at night when you're home with DD, your body can adjust to that, too, in case you wanted that option. DS did the one feeding per day for months until he was ready to stop. As much as I wanted my boobs back and it was time, I have to say it was kind of sad for me when I actually stopped. Not sure how you feel/will feel about it, but whatever emotions may come up may surprise you!

Re: socks with tennis balls (haha!) - yeah, one of the hazards of pregnancy, they stretch out and never quite return to their former glory! Doing toning exercises focused on the underlying chest muscles can help perk them back up a bit, and a good bra can work wonders. Sorry, I can't help with the surgery stuff. Best of luck!

Old 12-20-2011, 05:53 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Im sure Im going to regret asking, but isnt there a shot they can give you after the baby is born that stops you from leaking/making milk? I read somewhere its used on mothers who give away babies immediately after birth for adoption.
I'm not sure.

Quote:
One of my ex husbands really liked it - thought it was quite soothing to the stomach. My second ex wouldn't even try it.
Quote:
This made me gag. WHY would anyone WANT to try it?!
Quote:
Im sorry, but a grown man drinking his wife/girlfriends breast milk is weird/gross to me.
Quote:
Wow. So you're saying that breastfeeding a baby is "gross" and you don't even want to be around your friend when she's nursing her baby?

I'm sorry.....but that is very sad and pathetic.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Colddiamond said that nursing a grown man is gross. That is a fairly common sentiment.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:32 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,253,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I'm not sure.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Colddiamond said that nursing a grown man is gross. That is a fairly common sentiment.
Quote:

I think quite differently on this subject than most females do. She knows it, and has delighted, in great detail, in grossing me out for the past 5 months.
I took this to mean that her friend is "grossing" her out by talking about breastfeeding her future baby.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:34 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,320,581 times
Sorry I didn't read back so maybe it's already been said...
Some moms first mix formula with breastmilk so that the baby gets used to the new taste. One of my friends did that with her children because they wouldn't drink "plain" formula, and it worked very well for them.
My daughter kind of weaned herself gradually so I didn't have any issue as it went smoothly, but many relatives and friends breastfed and never felt any pain when they stopped, so you should be fine.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:43 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
for the young'uns worried about losing their perkiness, I have heard that just the swelling and "deflating" from pregnancy is enough to make them sag. Whether or not you nurse might not make much of a difference to appearances after pregnancy.

I didn't really enjoy nursing. I only did it for a few weeks with my first because he wasn't gaining weight. I did it for about 4 months with the second. I think every mom should at least try it before writing it off completely. It is the healthiest thing for your baby. If someone thinks the appearance of their boobs is more important than that, they probably aren't mature enough to have a baby.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:
I took this to mean that her friend is "grossing" her out by talking about breastfeeding her future baby.
Ah, I see. Well, I can understand that sentiment. A lot of people are grossed out by bodily functions. Most people do not talk about pooping, sweating, coughing up phlegm, etc. Breastfeeding is not really any different. Your body's glands are making a liquid that secretes from your nipples, and another person swallows it. It's no different from, say, licking the sweat off somebody, or drinking their saliva. You find breastfeeding to be inoffensive, but that's simply your perspective. Finding one normal, natural function gross or requiring privacy and modesty (pooping, for instance) and another to be okay to do in front of others (breastfeeding) is merely arbitrary.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:00 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,253,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Ah, I see. Well, I can understand that sentiment. A lot of people are grossed out by bodily functions. Most people do not talk about pooping, sweating, coughing up phlegm, etc. Breastfeeding is not really any different. Your body's glands are making a liquid that secretes from your nipples, and another person swallows it. It's no different from, say, licking the sweat off somebody, or drinking their saliva. You find breastfeeding to be inoffensive, but that's simply your perspective. Finding one normal, natural function gross or requiring privacy and modesty (pooping, for instance) and another to be okay to do in front of others (breastfeeding) is merely arbitrary.

I see absolutely no correlation between providing a baby with nature's "perfect food" and pooping., sweating, coughing up phlegm, etc.

I am actually quite shocked that you would say it's no different from licking the sweat off somebody or drinking their saliva.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:04 AM

It's funny how personal opinions affect our outlook, isn't it? It's a social construct.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:10 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,741 times
I agree with you on a lot of topics, Julia but this is not one of them.

What would be the benefit to licking someones sweat off of someone's body or drinking someone's saliva? None that I can think of. What would be the benefit for a baby to drink his or her mother's breastmilk? Survival and optimal nutrition.

I find the comparison of breastfeeding to pooping, coughing up phlegm and sweating to be offensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting