Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 10:49 AM

788 posts, read 2,111,118 times

Advertisements

My 5 year old didn't throw temper tantrums - she just would not POOP on the potty - she was almost 4! She would do everything else - we tried everything and she was soooo stubborn - she'd hold it and them go at night while sleeping. What finally worked was our swimming pool - that summer we got one and she couldn't swim unless she went on the potty that day - finally by the end of the summer she was going.....
We swear she'll be 18 and still call us in the bathroom to do the poopy dance!!
My husband wants another one - we have 4 now and I told him I'd think about it if he got a surrogate mother, wet nurse and a nanny!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 10:55 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,444,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
I could never yell at my child until he was 4 because if he got upset and started crying and having a tantrum (rarely) - he was hypersensitive to criticism and he would get so worked up he would puke.

Everyone would think I was being ultra-permissive mom but I had no choice.
It is not about pleasing others it is about doing the best job you can do!
Without being dangerous or neglectful of course or abusive. It is about what works for your kids.

My Terrorist after that was given timeouts and it was the worse thing that you could do to him. He is very social. I wonder if these kids that act with the tantrums to such a degree are not just very intense. I guess I will find out s he becomes an adult not to far off. He is goal oriented for sure both my kids are. Ya know I have GREAT KIDS plain and simple!

Old 09-06-2007, 11:03 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,444,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love the Bears View Post
My 5 year old didn't throw temper tantrums - she just would not POOP on the potty - she was almost 4! She would do everything else - we tried everything and she was soooo stubborn - she'd hold it and them go at night while sleeping. What finally worked was our swimming pool - that summer we got one and she couldn't swim unless she went on the potty that day - finally by the end of the summer she was going.....
We swear she'll be 18 and still call us in the bathroom to do the poopy dance!!
My husband wants another one - we have 4 now and I told him I'd think about it if he got a surrogate mother, wet nurse and a nanny!!
Oh that is funny the tantrum thrower would not poop in the potty either.
He would wait too to do the duty in the diaper. The funny thing is he would pee in the potty. He did decided he did not like the wet diaper feel.
We finally used his favorite candy to get him to use the potty. Ya know kids are so funny.....

Old 09-07-2007, 01:49 PM

430 posts, read 1,263,950 times
When my middle was 2 his tantrums were so bad that I took him to the Pediatrician.....his suggestion was to lay down next to him on the floor and mimic everything he was doing and really lay it on!....one day he cut loose and so did I..he stopped, stood up, and looked at me in total disgust. Never had a tantrum again!

O.Nana

Old 09-09-2007, 06:20 PM

982 posts, read 3,486,651 times
My kids are 17, 12, and 8. I have learned that raising well behaved kids is a lot like raising a well behaved dog. It sounds stupid, but I use the same premise with my dogs and my kids, and they're all pretty well behaved.

Anytime they behave in a way that I don't agree with, I ignore them. No eye contact or verbal communication...all body language. No one has to leave the room...just turn your back. By reacting to negative behavior, you are confirming the child's belief that he is in control. When the child calms down and responds appropriately, then he gets all the attention he needs. Over time, he'll learn that he gets a better response from you when he's nice.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:13 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,381,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
To the OP: You should read the following thread if you are looking for a different point of view:
//www.city-data.com/forum/paren...-tantrums.html
The reality for my family and many others is that the behavior you have described is from a "highly spirited" or "explosive child." Parents without such children have no idea what you are talking about (it's not their fault, they mean well, but they just don't have a child like yours and their advice fails in situations where an explosive child is involved).

I currently have a two year old with the same behavioral issues. Barring eventual diagnosis of a spectrum disorder (I pray to God every day that this isn't the case), the published descriptions of spirited and explosive children are right on.

If after reading the post I made in the previous thread you have any questions feel free to message me. I want you to know that the tantrums you have described are not your fault - parents of these types of children are usually very caring, nurturing, and empathetic (as demonstrated by your other child or children).
Yes, I completely agree. I believe that fortunately many moms do not get the opportunity to raise a spirited/explosive child. It's very easy to give advice but put yourself in this person shoes and you can completely throw your advice out of the window, because until you live it, you don't know.
I happen to have a very spirited child myself, but I see progress!!! If you interested to talk, you can PM me.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:10 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,744,773 times
I feel for you. Our middle child was a walking tantrum, especially in the grocery stores. I hated to take them shopping by myself. She would throw a fit if I did not buy what she grabbed. My husband finally took her outside and made her scream outside the store until we were finished. No treats. We also turned the car around on our way to Disneyland and went back home one time. That seemed to do the trick. Best of luck and remember time takes care of most things.

Old 09-23-2007, 10:16 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,629,559 times
Ask your pediatrician about Sensory Integration Disorder. A 20 minute tantrum is beyond "wanting his way." Everyone gave me advice about my son too such as "they only throw tantrums if you give in," etc. My child actually has sensory integration issues, and Asperger's but I felt like a bad parent for SO long because he was so "normal" in just about every way that he didn't appear to have a disability and I couldn't figure out why the tantrums were occuring. Your child may just be strong willed but all the same, address it with your pediatrician and look for any other red flags because the sooner you address it (if there IS a problem) the sooner it improves!!! Good luck!

Old 09-24-2007, 04:19 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Great ideas.

I must have been 2 or 3 and threw a tantrum. My mother threw a glass of water in my face. I was so shocked that I stopped immediately and didn't have another tantrum. She shocked me right out of it.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:05 AM

2 posts, read 8,742 times
i have a 2 year old boy myself and he doesn't listen to me at all. granted i'm a single mother and all and it is sometimes difficult to do it on my own but i've done it. you should try this book called 1-2-3 Magic. you can get it on amazon. com for like 7 dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting