Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 08:48 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,135,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraptree View Post
I didn't even know he was that old.

68 is too old. Granted being an A-list celebrity allows him to secure the kid finances better than the regular working class. How could a sane adult want to have a kid when there is a good chance you won't them out of high school.

I remember a few years ago I saw an article that a lady passed away leaving her twins girls behind. She was either in her late sixties or early seventies. Her twins were 10 years old. I only skimmed the article. I'm not sure of the details. So if anyone knows about the story. Correct me if my details are off. Nevertheless that is pretty irresponsible and selfish to have children so late in life and not be able to be there.
I know who you are talking about, but the twins were only three years old. She had them at 66 and was dead by cancer at 69. Completely stupid of her when she had SO many years to procreate, she waits until the last possible minute to have a baby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
I for one am glad that my parents didn't believe as you do.

And I'm reasonable certain my younger siblings feel the same!

Since the average age for men getting married is 28/29 (I forget which) it seems many others share my feelings. (I'm 29 with no wife or kids myself)

I feel that people should be pushing BACK the ages at which they have children. That way they could be in a better position to support them financially and will need less assistance from taxpayers, as well as making fewer mistakes related to youth and inexperience.

(please consider this when your 20 or 21 and want to have a child. I have watched my friends 'have them young' and struggle, and carry resentment for not being able to do things with their life)
I agree. I think 25-35 are great ages to start having a kid, and that post of his just irks me, lol. People have much higher life expectancy, and to say 28 is "too old" for a "first" child is just...wow...considering the kid will be well into the fifties by the time their parents reach the life expectancy (78 or so), they could see potentially see their great-grandchildren walk around.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:53 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
I personally have discouraged my children ( 28 and 30) from getting married before 30-35 and having kids too. Thankfully young people are waiting for marriage and kids and they are realizing they have much growing up to do before they add kids to the mix.

My husband was 19 when he started having kids with his EX wife. Three right in a row before they figured it all out. Poor, not enough food, no education, ignorant and both will tell you so today. Kids suffered.
We had our first when he was 42 and I was 35. Our last 2 we adopted when I was 55 and he was 62. Just the right ages for us. He is so much better as a father as a mature, settled, educated and high income producing man.

Would we have tried to give birth to children at those ages. NO of course not. But to give a home to already born but homeless children at any age is a win-win situation for all involved. The alternative for these orphan children is something I can't bear to think of.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:54 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltheEndofTime View Post
I know who you are talking about, but the twins were only three years old. She had them at 66 and was dead by cancer at 69. Completely stupid of her when she had SO many years to procreate, she waits until the last possible minute to have a baby.
This particular couple was from India and they were considered outcast because they did not have children. They sold everything they owned to have those kids. That is how much culture can negatively influence our lives. Very sad indeed.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:57 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
having kids when you are young is no assurance that they will still have a parent when they are older. many couples get divorced and many times one parent never comes around anymore, leaving the kid without a parental figure. people also get sick and die from illness and accidents when they are young. while I wouldn't want a baby at 56 or 68 that doesn't seem to be the case for bob

Old 12-28-2011, 08:58 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu;22295871[B
]I personally have discouraged my children ( 28 and 30) from getting married before 30-35 and having kids too. [/b] Thankfully young people are waiting for marriage and kids and they are realizing they have much growing up to do before they add kids to the mix.

My husband was 19 when he started having kids with his EX wife. Three right in a row before they figured it all out. Poor, not enough food, no education, ignorant and both will tell you so today. Kids suffered.
We had our first when he was 42 and I was 35. Our last 2 we adopted when I was 55 and he was 62. Just the right ages for us. He is so much better as a father as a mature, settled, educated and high income producing man.

Would we have tried to give birth to children at those ages. NO of course not. But to give a home to already born but homeless children at any age is a win-win situation for all involved. The alternative for these orphan children is something I can't bear to think of.
I hope it isn't too late for them by the time they (or you?) want them to have kids. I wouldn't discourage my kids from having kids during their fertile adult years, as I am watching my 34 year old sister struggle with infertility right now. In her particular case, she wouldn't have had any problems getting pregnant earlier on, but they waited too long.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I personally have discouraged my children ( 28 and 30) from getting married before 30-35 and having kids too. Thankfully young people are waiting for marriage and kids and they are realizing they have much growing up to do before they add kids to the mix.

I'm going to have disagree with you about waiting until 30-35 to get married and have kids, especially if you are a woman. My mom had her last kid a month after she had turned 36 and even she feels it was a little too old to be having a third (and her last) baby, and a woman's fertility starts to decline after 30 and deteriorates after 35.

I think 25-30 is more reasonable. I want ALL of my children out of the house by the time I am 55 and my mother is expecting to become a grandmother by 55. I could not imagine doing all of that over again at 55.

But I will agree that adopting was a selfless act.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:03 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraptree View Post
I didn't even know he was that old.

68 is too old. Granted being an A-list celebrity allows him to secure the kid finances better than the regular working class. How could a sane adult want to have a kid when there is a good chance you won't them out of high school.

I remember a few years ago I saw an article that a lady passed away leaving her twins girls behind. She was either in her late sixties or early seventies. Her twins were 10 years old. I only skimmed the article. I'm not sure of the details. So if anyone knows about the story. Correct me if my details are off. Nevertheless that is pretty irresponsible and selfish to have children so late in life and not be able to be there.
That isn't even fair to be honest. My father passed away right before he turned 42 when I was just going on 8. Guess I shouldn't have been born either

Old 12-28-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
This particular couple was from India and they were considered outcast because they did not have children. They sold everything they owned to have those kids. That is how much culture can negatively influence our lives. Very sad indeed.
They had children, but they didn't have a son. They ended up with a boy and a girl (and they were 70!), and they were mad about getting a girl.

SMH. The doctor who got a 70 year old pregnant needs to have his license taken away.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
That isn't even fair to be honest. My father passed away right before he turned 42 when I was just going on 8. Guess I shouldn't have been born either
Big difference between a 66 year old purposely getting herself pregnant to have kids (and going against medical advice) and a 33 year old man having kids naturally and dying tragically at a very young age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting