Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 02:04 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times

Advertisements

Our pediatrician and our pediatric dentist both, told me there was no harm in the kids using "binkies". We called them nuks. The dentist told me the constant sucking on them at bedtime was great for generating saliva to wash away any unbrushed milk residue. They weren't around when I was a kid, and I sucked my thumb. I still remember the horror of seeing my school health chart with those words written across it "Thumb Sucker"

My boys gave them up around the age of 3, all on their own. Not one of them needed braces, in fact, none of them has had so much as a cavity.

But, Grandma, I agree, you have to follow the wishes of the parents. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 06:04 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
MQ...A couple of my neices were "giants"! Both parents were incredibly tall people. Their children were way, way above average in size as toddlers. Their youngest looked 6 when she was 3. Her mother didn't want to deprive her of the binkie until "she was ready". Yes, she looked...ahem, special, being pushed around in a stroller, with a binkie sticking out of her mouth. Nothing looks more "normal" than a "6 yr old" in a stroller, with a binkie in her mouth.

I've got another scenario here, one that should make a person gag and shudder with horror.

Picture this...Child runs around with binkie, dropping it or setting it down here and there. Anyone with children, who doesn't follow them constantly, just in CASE said toddler drops their binkie, is NOT going to wash it every time. Does said family have pets? Does child play outside where racoons or other wildlife may pass through the yard? Is child picking up cat hair, animal feces from feet? Bird poo from passing birds? Roundworm larvae or eggs? I don't mean to be an alarmist, but there ARE occasions where those larvae enter a small child's blood stream and burrow holes in the child's brains and other vital organs. Yeah.... By all means, there's no harm in letting your child run around with a binkie!
LOL, were you aware that I am a "giant", too? I'm 6'1" and my ex-husband is 6'4" (and I have uncles who are 6'8") but our daughter is a midget--she only grew to be 5'6"! And she's currently living in China, where they think she is tall...

But eeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwww on the larvae burrowing holes in children's brains!!! Very effective, I will probably wake up in the night thinking of that.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:34 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
are they or you showing her the thumb or two fingers to suck? In a pinch that might help. It's a hard time for everybody but nothing is more pathetic than a 3- 5 year old in the stroller with a pacifier. My own son would not take a binkie and I think he would have been a happier infant if he had one. He eventually found his 2 fingers and that worked for quite awhile. Good luck
Eh - I think seeing a 6-year-old sucking her thumb in kindergarten is a lot more pathetic than a 3-year-old sucking a pacifier in a stroller.

Then again, I was that 6-year-old. And I saw an 8-year-old doing the same thing at the store last week, and it made me want to reach out and give that poor kid a hug.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:52 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,723,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LOL, were you aware that I am a "giant", too? I'm 6'1" and my ex-husband is 6'4" (and I have uncles who are 6'8") but our daughter is a midget--she only grew to be 5'6"! And she's currently living in China, where they think she is tall...

But eeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwww on the larvae burrowing holes in children's brains!!! Very effective, I will probably wake up in the night thinking of that.
LOL... I am no small gal at 5'9" tall, but my sister is 5'11", her husband was 6' 7" and both of her daughters topped out at 6'2" tall. It's funny how genetics juggle around, isn't it? My father was 6'4", and most of his kids are fairly tall. My hubby came from parents who were 5'7" and 5'4". He is 6'1". Our shortest son is only 5'5", our youngest son? 6'2" at 15 yrs old and still growing! What's hilarious? He was the smallest baby at birth. It's a crapshoot MQ...seriously!

As for the binkie/larvae nightmares? It's terrifying!

Old 12-30-2011, 07:54 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I still remember the horror of seeing my school health chart with those words written across it "Thumb Sucker"
How did they know?

Please don't tell me your parents ratted you out.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:06 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
I can understand having a binky, in a crib, to help a teething baby get to sleep. I have never understood why children, ages 3 plus, have binkies in their mouths all the time, at the store, the park, we had a rule, "no binkies outside". My daughter would put her binkie on the table, and we would leave the house.

I have never read about this, but I would think constant binkie use would be an issue in language delay, or even speech problems..anyone heard a child talk with a binkie? I just don't get it.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:39 PM

For milennia, up until a few decades ago, babies survived without "binkies". Amazing, isn't it?

Old 12-30-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
LOL... I am no small gal at 5'9" tall, but my sister is 5'11", her husband was 6' 7" and both of her daughters topped out at 6'2" tall. It's funny how genetics juggle around, isn't it? My father was 6'4", and most of his kids are fairly tall. My hubby came from parents who were 5'7" and 5'4". He is 6'1". Our shortest son is only 5'5", our youngest son? 6'2" at 15 yrs old and still growing! What's hilarious? He was the smallest baby at birth. It's a crapshoot MQ...seriously!

As for the binkie/larvae nightmares? It's terrifying!
Well, my ex's mother was only 5'2", so we figure that might be why my daughter is only 5'6". I'm kind of happy for her, though, because she won't have the terrible time I did trying to find clothing with pants and sleeves and waistlines long enough. She is still within the normal range.

Who knows what genes lurk within us?

Old 12-31-2011, 04:54 AM

661 posts, read 2,896,769 times
Quote:
For milennia, up until a few decades ago, babies survived without "binkies". Amazing, isn't it?
Binkies in various forms have been around for quite a while. For those of you with too much time on your hands, here it is. The History of the Binkie!

Pacifier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-31-2011, 11:41 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Yes, they did, but... pacifiers were actually invented quite a while ago and they were an alternative to giving babies a *sugar treat.* I am betting that pacifiers were better than the old sugar rags.

Pacifier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Pacifiers were a development of hard teething rings, but they were also a substitute for the softer sugar ****, sugar-teats or sugar-rags[3] which had been in use in 19th century America. A writer in 1873 described a "sugar-teat" made from "a small piece of old linen" with a "spoonful of rather sandy sugar in the centre of it", "gathered ... up into a little ball" with a thread tied tightly around it.[4] Rags with foodstuffs tied inside were also given to babies in many parts of Northern Europe and elsewhere. In some places a lump of meat or fat was tied in cloth, and sometimes the rag was moistened with brandy. German-speaking areas might use Lutschbeutel: cloth wrapped round sweetened bread, or maybe poppy-seeds. A Madonna and child painted by Dürer in 1506[5] shows one of these tied-cloth "pacifiers" in the baby's hand.[6]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting