Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 03:27 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,138,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
I havent read through all the posts as I'm on break but I work at Jp Morgan Chase and as long as on the back of the check it says "pay to the order of" and both parties sign for it then you can deposit the check into your account. The only reason they say that they cant do it is because they get extra bonus on their paycheck for opening new accounts. Most banks have ATMS and you can make deposits through them so that way you dont have to deal with the hassle of them trying to get you to open an account.

If they give you any more hassle come on over to chase I'll take care of you.
We belonged to Chase when we first moved here. I am not fond of big banks but I am thinking we need to move back.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
But.... but..... but....

Pitch forks and torches are what we do best!!

(I guess you don't want to hear about the boiling oil I keep in the corner for emergencies.)
Rut Roh!

Old 12-28-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramirez2012 View Post
Are you kidding me? You can set up a simple savings account for a child. I had a bank account at 5 years old! Be grateful they're giving your kid a gift at all.
Try reading the whole thread. Its not that hard, I promise.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:40 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,158,091 times
Sorry if I missed it, but did you specifically tell your in-laws about your bank's policy and ask them to write the checks to you instead? If you didn't, maybe you should. It is no extra work for them to do that. If you did, and they ignored your request, yes, that is very annoying.

I think people sometimes don't stop to think about the recipient when they give a gift. Instead they do what they prefer, or what makes them happy. Personally, we'd rather get a check than anything else. My in-laws seem to want to choose a gift and ship it to us. That seems to mean a lot to them. To us, it is a hassle. It is something we don't want or need, and I had to sit here for 2 entire afternoons last week waiting to sign for deliveries from them. Waste of money. Waste of time. But it will never change. Or, they give us gifts that are huge, and wonder why we can't fit them in the car for the 20-hour drive home. It is just thoughtless and selfish, really. Any thought that was put into the purchase is overshadowed by the things that were not considered.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:55 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,056,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Try reading the whole thread. Its not that hard, I promise.
Read it already. Reading it again isn't going to change the fact that there's no reason you can't get a bank account for your kid. Walk into any bank and ask to set up a trust/custodial account. It takes 10 minutes and eliminates future hassle.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:01 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,755,128 times
I dont see the big deal, but then again, anyone that has sent my son a check has made it to me or my husband and wrote to my son in the memo.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:51 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,424,523 times
We have a savings account for our 4yr old. Any checks that are issued to him are deposited right into that account by signing our name and writing "Check issued to minor child of signee"

Old 12-28-2011, 04:53 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Sorry if I missed it, but did you specifically tell your in-laws about your bank's policy and ask them to write the checks to you instead? If you didn't, maybe you should. It is no extra work for them to do that. If you did, and they ignored your request, yes, that is very annoying.

I think people sometimes don't stop to think about the recipient when they give a gift. Instead they do what they prefer, or what makes them happy. Personally, we'd rather get a check than anything else. My in-laws seem to want to choose a gift and ship it to us. That seems to mean a lot to them. To us, it is a hassle. It is something we don't want or need, and I had to sit here for 2 entire afternoons last week waiting to sign for deliveries from them. Waste of money. Waste of time. But it will never change. Or, they give us gifts that are huge, and wonder why we can't fit them in the car for the 20-hour drive home. It is just thoughtless and selfish, really. Any thought that was put into the purchase is overshadowed by the things that were not considered.
My experience is that people will do whatever they want to do regardless of what we tell them. Just this year, all of the relatives continued to do what they wanted to do. It's the biggest hassle this year. There wasn't one gift that was giving in a way that DS could enjoy immediately. It's causing me a lot of time running around to the bank, to the stores, to the post office, and it's costing me money too.

I guess it never occurs to people that their gift choice can put a burden on the recipient. It's extra annoying because I gave some family members a heads up this year since DS is stuck in the middle of the wilderness. As a result, he has to mail gifts that were checks to me to deposit into his account for him, mail gift cards to me to buy items he needs when I go to use the gift cards that were sent to me on his behalf. Then I have to ship everything up to him. It's going to be long past Christmas before he can enjoy most of the gifts.

I know we're supposed to be grateful for whatever form a gift is sent, but it's hard to be grateful when it costs me money to make the gifts usable.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:38 PM

2,353 posts, read 4,652,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I HATE gift cards. Big PITA. I just ranted about them recently. Most relatives give these aweful things to my children. <snip> Just think what the child could do with that money if it were possible to put all $300 towards one gift.

We just got a ton of gift cards again this year. I emptied out our china closet drawer, where we keep our gift cards from previous years. There are huge piles of them on my dining room table worth over a two thousand dollars. Some of them are from 2007, maybe older. I just called Macys and had the balance put back on a card that expired in 2009. (Hope you guys know there's a federal law now that gift cards can't expire. If you have any expired gift cards you call the company and they have to put the money back on the card.) This year, we're going to do our best to spend these darn gift cards. Nevermind that I could better pay bills with these.

Okay, my rant is over. Send me a check anyday instead of a gift card! LOL
You can sell gift cards on ebay! I've done that several times, and usually get close to the face value - you can search "completed listings" for gift cards and see what most go for; it depends on the store, etc. but you should be able to get a good amount for them.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:41 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
My experience is that people will do whatever they want to do regardless of what we tell them.
Aint that the truth. That is why I think the best solution is one that does not involve asking them again to change. It is an annoyance, but it is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting