Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you cover your kids eyes at the movies?
Yes 6 20.69%
No 23 79.31%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 04:05 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,277,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
I would not be comfortable at all letting my 13 year old watch an explicit rape scene, IMO she would still be much too young. I read the books and there are a lot of disturbing things that happen to this young woman in this part of the book and I would not feel comfortable letting my 13 year old see it.
That's your prerogative as a parent, however i fail to see what its going to accomplish if your child is aware this happens :-P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 04:14 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
I never allowed my children to attend or watch movies that were age inappropriate, so "covering eyes" was not an issue.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:15 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Once I was past a certain age (14?) I almost always went to the movies with kids my own age. We knew which movies would be o.k. with our parents and which ones wouldn't be o.k., so we never asked to see anything inappropriate.

My parents would ask which movie we were going to see and that was about the extent of their involvement. They trusted us to see the movie that we said we were going to see. We never broke that trust by sneaking into a movie that we didn't have permission to see.
Good policy and good that you followed the house rules! Those ratings are for a reason.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:18 PM

I don't think growing up my parents had a specific rule on what not to watch or what to watch. But i never really went towards the more graphic movies anyway so it doesn't really matter.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:22 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
No, I wouldn't be covering any eyes. As others have said, these movies are rated R for a reason. I have passed on the books to my (college age) sons. They are well written thrillers.

The problem with exposing younger kids to adult subjects is that they become inured to the sex and violence before they are able to separate what is normal behavior from what is film behavior. Too much, too soon.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:56 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Nope never covered my kids' eyes. Needed both hands free to cover my own.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Nope never covered my kids' eyes. Needed both hands free to cover my own.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:15 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,850,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
That's your prerogative as a parent, however i fail to see what its going to accomplish if your child is aware this happens :-P
I'm sure most 13 years old are aware that rape happens. That doesn't mean it wouldn't be terrifying to watch a woman scream and struggle to fight off her attacker on the big screen. Knowing something is not at all the same as watching it.

For myself though, I just wouldn't take a child of that age to that movie.

I can remember when I was young and my mom threw a Halloween party. It was hosted up in the attic, and before the main party we watched a horror movie called, well, Attic. It was only chosen because of the name and was rated PG-13. My parents had not watched it themselves.

Midway through the movie there was a sudden very graphic sex scene. An extended very graphic sex scene.

I've never seen my dad scramble for the remote that fast in his life.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:53 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
I understand the sentiment completely but having just seen the movie itself, I would not let my daughter see it at that age. She is 17 now and that scene really struck a nerve with her but she is at the age where she can understand what that scene was really about.

I think the violence of the scene was far more disturbing than the sex. It was not the hollywood, fake type of violence at all, and all the more disturbing for it. I do not mean in a bad way necessarily as we talked about the ethics of revenge for days afterwards.

Also, both my daughter and I were far more freaked out by the revenge rape. I think my "freaked" ness about it was due to my total acceptance of what Lis did. Made me question things I thought about myself. Amazing movie.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:54 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,468,962 times
I wouldn't take my child to a movie where I would have to cover her eyes for any scenes. Movies have ratings for a reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting