Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 10:00 AM

5,258 posts, read 9,142,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I hope this hasn't been posted here before. I came across it not too long ago and thought it was hilarious.

I'm an adult son whose mother has joined facebook, and I'm trying to find the best way to say, "Mom, I love you, but...no, you cannot be my friend."

Oh Crap. My Parents Joined Facebook.
Hahahaha! That's too funny.

I don't have a Facebook page (never been into social media), but my son has one. He's been trying to convince me to get one as well, but I doubt I will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 10:05 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,338,208 times
You guys are being way too hard on txtqueen. It isn't nearly all that serious.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:17 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
You aren't here all that much.

Read the THOUSANDS of posts she's made in Parenting telling us the endless, intimate details of her life and her vast lists of complaints about her mother and brother and her life in general and you will understand where we are coming from. I can assure you there is a VERY good reason some of us have responded as we have.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:22 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,240 times
Quote:
The site is very funny. I like the dyac site about parent texts, also. We've had to talk to DH's mom and grandmother about appropriate netiquette on more than one occasion. DH even defriended granny at one point because she was being so inappropriate!! But they're learning.

Some of the "old people are old" comments on the thread are just annoying, though, IMO.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:22 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Exactly.
I post pictures of places I go, I go to hookah bars/regular bars.
Once you get to a certain maturity, you decide that if you have to hide who you are and what you do from anyone, then you probably shouldn't be doing it. If there is nothing wrong with what you are doing, then there becomes no need to hide it.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:05 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,338,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Once you get to a certain maturity, you decide that if you have to hide who you are and what you do from anyone, then you probably shouldn't be doing it. If there is nothing wrong with what you are doing, then there becomes no need to hide it.
I don't think it's that cut and dry. What if someone's parents are exceptionally more conservative than they are? Are you saying that person should have to censor themselves on their own FB page?

Old 01-05-2012, 11:13 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
I don't think it's that cut and dry. What if someone's parents are exceptionally more conservative than they are? Are you saying that person should have to censor themselves on their own FB page?
What does "have to" mean? Once you are a grown person, there is precious little you "have to" do. If someone is more conservative than I am, that is there problem when reading what I have to say. I would not change myself or what I think simply because my mother thinks differently. My ultra conservative SIL comments on my ultra liberal posts all the time.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:28 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
An adult doesn't "have to" do anything. You and txt are free to post whatever you want, but there will be consequences like comments of disapproval from mom and grandma. You can decide to deal with the comments and disapproval, or you can choose to censor yourself because showing off to your friends isn't worth the drama of dealing with the nay sayers.

I used to post a lot of political stuff. They sometimes resulted in pissing matches between my MIL and I or a couple friends and I. One of the "friends" deleted me, which is fine. But I'm stuck with my MIL. I decided it isn't worth the drama and raised blood pressure, so I've cut back quite a bit. this person will be part of my life for the next 20+ years. I know her feelings. She knows mine. I'd rather not discuss it with her.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:30 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post

Exactly!

Old 01-05-2012, 11:32 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,614,645 times
Here's the thing with Facebook...Facebook is a written and published communication. There's no way around that, which makes it a bad place to put things you don't want everyone to know.

Even if all your 'friends' on FB are considered good close friends...all it takes is ONE of them to show or tell someone something off yours...and it is no longer just among friends. Posting on FB is just like sex in the regards if you want to guarantee nothing will happen, the ONLY way to prevent it is to just not do it. You can take all the precautions in the world...but if you take the risk of doing it (whether sex or posting on FB) then you take the risk something happening that you don't want to happen. Weigh the risks and choose. You knew the risks going in....

Regarding 'folks over 40' not knowing what they are doing.....many of the current generation fail to realize which generation(people) created the internet, which ones have been there since the beginning and which ones also have a deep understanding of the inner workings. I'm 52 and have been internet savvy for more years than some of the posters have been alive here.....just sayin'...something to think about. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting