Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 08:14 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,298,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Dang you brought up something I forgot. A good man I have known my entire life raised his 3 daughters on his own. No mom, no love life. Totally devoted his every waking moment to what they needed, etc. They get to be teenagers, and start going wild, doing the typical rebellious stupid stuff. He tries to discipline them by grounding; doesn't work. Then he takes away their privileges & computers etc; doesn't work. They get so abusive to him, he goes to smack one that called him a filthy name-she threatens to call D.C.F.S.
So your point is well taken

Since you don't live in the house you have no clue what really went on do you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 09:45 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,188,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Since you don't live in the house you have no clue what really went on do you?
Why would you even make such a stupid assumption? Actually at the time I was between places & was staying with him- none of your business, btw.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:08 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,744,052 times
Quote:
So, what led to the demise of the way kids relate to their families? The disrespect I've seen from teens & adult kids to their parents is astounding.
The way that the teens are so self absorbed, spoiled--demanding cell phones, I pods, laptops, "Uggs" & other name brand crap, could be a part of the problem.
And if the parents think the kids will grow up & magically turn into loving, kind people-wrong
Just yesterday I overheard my neighbor yelling, swearing & screaming at his mom to move his stuff, & help him to her car. He's 36 years old
Reminds me of the wedding crashers LOL

Meatloaf, Will Ferrell - YouTube

Ok, serious now, it basically stems from poor parenting. Parents want to be friends more than they want to be parents

It's the new school of thought promoted by popular culture and relies heavily on liberalism and the raging culture of tolerance.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:17 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,188,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post

Ok, serious now, it basically stems from poor parenting. Parents want to be friends more than they want to be parents

It's the new school of thought promoted by popular culture and relies heavily on liberalism and the raging culture of tolerance.
Lmao I love that movie!

And it pertains, too. I know men who treat their moms that way, & it's not cool.

Wow, AC you are wise beyond your years Good points

Old 01-16-2012, 10:20 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,200,913 times
Quote:

Who? Not me.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:38 PM

147 posts, read 314,674 times
I find it surprising that no one mentioned the context in which kids are brought up. We have anecdotes of the crazy stuff that kids do, but how likely are people to share anecdotes of a well-behaved child? They largely go unnoticed. Now as for the people in the statistics camp, there are just far too many factors to consider if you're talking about how "messed up" kids are. How would you measure a child's messed-up-ness?

From my experiences, my opinion on this is that it's largely due to a shift in culture. Overall, I do feel that the government has overburdened adults with protective childcare laws. On the local level, the family unit has broken down; it's completely arguable as to whether this was the result of technology or bad parenting or any other numerous factors. It is true that what is deemed acceptable in our culture today is far different from x decades ago. But if my guess is correct, our culture as a whole is pushing many more boundaries at a much faster pace than the previous centuries, and it has indeed become much easier for kids to be exposed to adult/inappropriate material at a younger age.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:22 AM

24,130 posts, read 32,529,961 times
Quote:
So, what led to the demise of the way kids relate to their families? The disrespect I've seen from teens & adult kids to their parents is astounding.
The way that the teens are so self absorbed, spoiled--demanding cell phones, I pods, laptops, "Uggs" & other name brand crap, could be a part of the problem.
And if the parents think the kids will grow up & magically turn into loving, kind people-wrong
Just yesterday I overheard my neighbor yelling, swearing & screaming at his mom to move his stuff, & help him to her car. He's 36 years old
Here is why - because parents try to be friends with their children.
parents make excuses for and reward bad behavior
parents do not want to say "NO"
parents do not discipline.
Families do not practice traditions - holiday, eating together,
vacations, that sort of thing.
Everyone has a TV and a computer in their room - no family
time.
Remember chores? My kids do. Every day! That's how
Saturdays start and if chores are not remembered, there are
consequences.

This is a recipe for spoiled children. The poster is correct - rotten kids and teens do not magically turn into kind, responsible, adults. It doesn't work that way.

Most important - PARENTING DOES NOT END WHEN YOUR ELDEST CHILD TURNS 12! I think THAT is when the hard stuff begins!

Old 01-17-2012, 04:58 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,193,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Here is why - because parents try to be friends with their children.
parents make excuses for and reward bad behavior
parents do not want to say "NO"
parents do not discipline.
Families do not practice traditions - holiday, eating together,
vacations, that sort of thing.
Everyone has a TV and a computer in their room - no family
time.
Remember chores? My kids do. Every day! That's how
Saturdays start and if chores are not remembered, there are
consequences.

This is a recipe for spoiled children. The poster is correct - rotten kids and teens do not magically turn into kind, responsible, adults. It doesn't work that way.

Most important - PARENTING DOES NOT END WHEN YOUR ELDEST CHILD TURNS 12! I think THAT is when the hard stuff begins!
What are the consequences of not being kind, responsible adults?

Old 01-17-2012, 05:03 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,928,695 times
Quote:
Parents want to be friends more than they want to be parents
This is a meaningless little phrase that is thrown around on this forum.

Surely, you can't think that parents who are concerned about their future relationship with their children are all bad parents?

Old 01-17-2012, 06:35 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,733,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Who? Not me.
People without kids like to say stuff like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting