Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2012, 03:50 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
The problem with that is she hasn't done anything worthy of being patted on the back. I'm not going to pat her on the back for being a SAHM. To do that I'd have to agree with her that WM's are hurting their kids and lack maternal instinct. THAT is not happening. I'd rather never speak to her again and that sounds like the real solution here. I don't think anyone would mind if we stopped inviting her to family functions. I, for one, am tired of her self edifying crap and that's all it is because at the end of the day, our kids turn out the same and that's all that really matters.
You two need to agree to disagree on this one and just not ever bring up the subject again! Be the adult for goodness sake!

Old 01-20-2012, 03:54 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,240 times
Quote:
The problem with that is she hasn't done anything worthy of being patted on the back. I'm not going to pat her on the back for being a SAHM. To do that I'd have to agree with her that WM's are hurting their kids and lack maternal instinct. THAT is not happening. I'd rather never speak to her again and that sounds like the real solution here. I don't think anyone would mind if we stopped inviting her to family functions. I, for one, am tired of her self edifying crap and that's all it is because at the end of the day, our kids turn out the same and that's all that really matters.
I imagine your son (step-son?) will have an opinion on the matter, and perhaps your grandchildren.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:55 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
If you would cut her out of your life for something like this, then you are just looking for a reason to do so.

Fantastic idea!

Exactly what I think is going on.

Ya, it really shouldn't be that hard. If it is too hard to say it, then just ignore it. It doesn't have to be a big deal.

Another day, another failure to acknowledge my posts. Ivory must have me on the ignore list.
Tell me why I need someone in my life who puts down my lifestyle? I don't. The people I need in my life are the ones who make it better. She doesn't. Every time I see her, it's stressful and I leave mad. Not because she has stupid ideas about motherhood but because I know she's teaching this crap to her kids. All because she's arrogant and wants her ego stroked.

I hoped someone could explain this but I haven't seen any answers here. I'm pretty sure it's what I think it is. Self edification, justification, and arrogance. If she weren't family, I would have told her to get over herself long ago and never thought of her again.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
I imagine your son (step-son?) will have an opinion on the matter, and perhaps your grandchildren.
Dss doesn't care. He just wants peace at home. He's already cut himself off from family to attain that. I'm also starting to think he agrees with her. They've cut contact with everyone in the family except us and I've about had enough.

I really would like to know how someone gets this full of themselves.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:02 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Quote:
s. All because she's arrogant and wants her ego stroked.

I hoped someone could explain this but I haven't seen any answers here. I'm pretty sure it's what I think it is. Self edification, justification, and arrogance. If she weren't family, I would have told her she was full of chit long ago and never thought of her again. As I'm typing this I'm struck by how little she means to my life. Sure we grew up together but I've outgrown friends I grew up with. Maybe it's time to walk away.
Or just, perhaps, self-preservation after being dealt a MIL with the same need for justification of her own choices. Trust me, we shouldn't attempt to make our DIL's bend to us. We need to find a common ground with them.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
You two need to agree to disagree on this one and just not ever bring up the subject again! Be the adult for goodness sake!
I'm not the one who brings it up. Seriously, this person really needs to get over herself already. She's not that great. She thinks she is but she's not.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:08 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Tell me why I need someone in my life who puts down my lifestyle?
One might ask her that as well.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:09 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure it's what I think it is. Self edification, justification, and arrogance.
Oh, the irony......

Old 01-20-2012, 04:10 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Quote:
The problem with that is she hasn't done anything worthy of being patted on the back. I'm not going to pat her on the back for being a SAHM. To do that I'd have to agree with her that WM's are hurting their kids and lack maternal instinct.
She says that to you? She has used those words, said something like, "Working moms lack maternal instinct"?

Quote:
THAT is not happening. I'd rather never speak to her again and that sounds like the real solution here. I don't think anyone would mind if we stopped inviting her to family functions. I, for one, am tired of her self edifying crap and that's all it is because at the end of the day, our kids turn out the same and that's all that really matters.
I can understand disliking someone who claims to be a better mom than you are. Perhaps instead of agreeing with her, you could say something like, "It's so great that you are able to stay home with them. It must be tough with five kids." She's the one with all the children, right? And her husband travels so much? No wonder she doesn't work--how could she? She's probably just ticked that she doesn't have options. Or maybe she envies you, or maybe she feels put down if you talk about your engineering job all the time or say things like what a cushy vacation it is to be a stay-at-home mom. She has five kids ... you have two who are several years apart. Worlds different. Her life is not a vacation.

You have said many times how much you dislike her, and you don't seem fond of your stepson for that matter ... or their children. However, cutting them out of your life is not your sole decision, particularly because this is your husband's son and family. Your daughter-in-law does sound cold and snide, so I think it would be easy to be the gracious one in this scenario. If your family and hers breaks up over this, you can make sure it's not your fault without being a martyr about it. If someone is being toxic, everyone else can see it plainly. Just don't stoop to her level.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:11 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,851,330 times
This is a fantastic article that I happened to run across today. I think it fits here very well. Glennon Melton: Friendly Fire
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting