Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 08:40 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,160,204 times

Advertisements

It depends. There have been times my kids are being mischievous or naughty, and I have found it funny. Other times, not funny at all. It depends on the situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 08:58 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grneyedmustang View Post
It really depends on the situation - but yes I've laughed at kids when they are misbehaving.

This situation is a good one for the "not funny" category:

But I also find it very off-putting for kids to disrespect adults, in general.

An example of a situation I would find funny - the old "I'm not touching you" scenario between two kids.

I don't know what's going to happen when I have kids, because I can imagine it now - I'm trying to discipline them and stifle a laugh at the same time.
Best one from when our kids were little "Mommmmm, he's breathing my air"

Old 01-18-2012, 07:34 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,386,223 times
Naturally, it depends on what's going on exactly. I'll sometimes refrain from laughing until I'm sure no one's offended by it. Especially with children, I do this because otherwise you're teaching them that something's funny even if it's hurtful.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:52 PM

452 posts, read 898,156 times
Gotta Laugh!!!! When you are child it is cute but if you were an adult it would be somewhat questionable so why not let them get away with it within reason when they can and if no one gets hurt. Why take away a childhood when you can never replace it?
FYI: At Christmas 2 oldest 11 and 9 wanted to search for presents-we locked the door but they figured out how to get in so we jared the door to the bedroom. 11 year proceeds to shove himself through a 24 inch whole in the wall for laundry-in between laundry room and master bedroom. He got caught when he could not get out of the bedroom-kids still believe in Santa and never did find the presents. Still laughing about that one!!!!

Old 01-18-2012, 10:13 PM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
We are big on joking around here, in a good way. I DON'T like when kids are snotty though. It's hard to comment without specific examples though.

We love to joke around in our family too, and our collective senses of humor have gotten us through a lot.

I am not fond of America's seeming love affair with bratty, rude, 4-8 year olds. Bad language, being disrespectful to adults, etc. To me not funny.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:48 AM

869 posts, read 1,493,978 times
I have a 4 year old son who does things sometimes that I know he needs to be reprimanded because its not appropriate in all scenarios but they are so funny. I have to turn away from him and take a minute to compose myself or else he will laugh and he shouldnt be laughing. Its difficult sometimes as a parent to take the correct approach to things.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:40 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,675,370 times
It's all situational. With three kids I find a lot of what they do amusing even if it's ultimately "naughty". There have been many times when my wife or I had to stifle laughter while dealing with a situation. I think if you don't find humor in what kids do you're going to lose your mind. Mine occasionally manage some real doozies, like the time my son bought a new video game with his own money.

He had been saving for months and the day he got it home, it disappeared. We tore the house apart, questioned his sisters, etc. The 3 year old said that she thought the youngest one may have taken it (youngest was about 20 months). The 3 year old helped us look all over the house for it. Finally it was late and time for bed. Kids went to bed and my wife and I kept looking through EVERYTHING. We were on the 10th sweep of the living room when the 3 year old appears on the balcony. She says, I think I know where it is. Oh? Look IN the throw pillow. We open it up and find the game. We ask the 3 year old, did you put it there? Yes, my brother was mean to me. She then turned around and went back to bed. My wife and I had a good laugh over that one, mainly because she was so intent on getting back at her brother that she was able to keep the ruse going for hours.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:50 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
When you laugh at children who are misbehaving, it sets up a lifetime of attention-seeking behavior.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:52 AM

56 posts, read 265,945 times
When my kids do something when they are real little <5, it makes me laugh inside. A feeling of "wow"... He had to think pretty hard to figure that out! It's a feeling of being proud because they used their brain and found a way to get what they wanted or carry out a plan. They would still get punished and corrected for the misdeed.
It's amazing how children learn so quickly.
Example, siblings; one purposely planned a way to get the other in trouble, boobie trap. My son was throwing his sisters blanket into their older brothers room. While she is trying to retrieve her blanket, her brother runs to tell big brother that little sister is going in his room. Parents not paying attention automatically scolds little sister for going into bb's room and bb for being mean to ls. Unbeknown to parents it's all little brothers fault.
As far as kids being rude, sassy, or disobedient, not funny. But those once-in-a-while situations where they did something that really took thought. Priceless

Old 01-19-2012, 09:00 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,902,628 times
Something not in the "parenting manual" is definitely that as a parent, you spend a lot of time biting the inside of your mouth to keep from cracking up at some of the "naughty" things your kids say or do. IMO, you have to discipline and be careful when you laugh in front of the kiddos to avoid reinforcing "fresh" or disrespectful behavior, but DH and I do a lot of laughing when the kids are asleep!

A few weeks ago, my 3yo was supposed to be cleaning up toys while I cooked dinner. At one point, I had to say "Buddy, focus! Clean up your toys now." His response, very matter-of-fact was: "No, mommy, you focus. Focus on tacos." (He did clean up the toys, though).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting