Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 11:25 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,665,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Have you ever waited two hours to pee?
Yes. Every single day as a teacher. I only have the opportunity to go at lunch. No other time. If I left class to go to the bathroom, I would lose my teaching certification.

Quote:
Have you ever had a small bladder and waited two hours to pee?
Small? No more than any other person, but I have had kidney stones, and worked on a research vessel with no head. I have held it for more than 6 hrs. It SUCKS I completely agree.

BUT THAT IS NOT WHAT IS BEING ASKED OF THESE CHILDREN.

I swear no one actually read the article. The children are being REWARDED for using their scheduled breaks. They are NOT being told they cannot use the restroom at other times. Just that if they do it more than 3 times a week they will also not be rewarded.
Quote:
Does being anxious make you have to pee more?

Unless you can answer yes to some of these, then don't even try to make it sound like waiting 2 hours to pee is a walk in the park.
Yay! Being completely irrational.

First you completely ignore what the article is actually saying, and then sensationalize the idea that a normal, healthy person has to void their bladder more often than 2 hrs. If a child has have to go to the bathroom every hour, every day THEY NEED TO SEE A DOCTOR.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=child%20has%20to%20go%20to%20the% 20bathroom%20every%20hour&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CDU QFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.seattlechildrens.org%2F pdf%2Fpe179.pdf&ei=XgEbT8_BPO7D0AGW87TTCw&usg=AFQj CNF2N-jeXGGNANxl7YE7WO5FdVC1Lw&cad=rja
Quote:
And as some one who has a crappy bladder, I have to go when I have to go and if I don't go then it gets bad quickly, and there is nothing more agnonizing than holding your **** and hoping you don't **** your pants past the age of 5.
Then you should see a doctor about your medical condition. It is not NORMAL to need to urinate every hour. It is frequently a sign of an underlying medical condition for which you should seek treatment. And if a child has a medical condition that has that symptom, they would obviously not be held to the same standard.

Children with those conditions, should have a note on file, so they can quietly leave the room without drawing attention to themselves so everyone one of their peers need not know that they have a problem.

[

Quote:
Plane take off is what? 5-8 minutes, not even...
Sitting in the SAME classroom all the time, everyday, no switching classes, makes it a bit harder and plus how often is someone enduring a plane taking off.
At least you are consistent in your denial of reality.

The average 5th grader, including the school mentioned in the article, switches class for gym, two specials, and lunch WITH A SCHEDULED POTTY BREAK AT EACH. That means in a 6 hr day children only have to use a "voucher" for 1 1/2 hr.

How about a teeny bit of rationality?

Old 01-21-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Seeing as how the medical profession did not discover why I had frequent urination until I was in my 30s . . . my parents had no way of explaining to anyone why I had to go urinate frequently, or ended up w/ bladder and kidney infections. Took a lot of expensive imaging to determine my congenital problems, wh/ are multiple.

A child who is otherwise a good student should not have to beg to go to the bathroom nor should he/she be shamed or punished.

Any teacher who is that hung up on "rules" re: bodily functions obviously has trouble controlling her classroom. I mean . . . really.
Did you read the actual article?

Did you at all?

This is about a reward system to positively reinforce those who are taking advantage of using the break which are scheduled every 1 1/2 hours or so. If someone needs to more often than they go, but if it more than 3 times a week they just dont get an eraser or key chain. NOT THAT THEY DO NOT GET TO GO TO THE BATHROOM.

JEEZ PEOPLE THE CHILDREN ARE NOT BEING PUNISHED.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:56 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,813,728 times
The year before middle school we were not allowed to use the bathroom outside of regular breaks. Period. End of Story. Especially during Library and computer. Gym she sometimes let you go. If you were lucky.

I also remember feeling very uncomfortable "just leaving" in college. We could leave if we needed the bathroom. I probably left 3 times in 4 years. I didn't like missing class.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:01 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,953,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
The year before middle school we were not allowed to use the bathroom outside of regular breaks. Period. End of Story. Especially during Library and computer. Gym she sometimes let you go. If you were lucky.

I also remember feeling very uncomfortable "just leaving" in college. We could leave if we needed the bathroom. I probably left 3 times in 4 years. I didn't like missing class.
I don't think its right.
If you have to go you have to go there should be no holding it or made to feel bad just because your body has to do a natural function.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:32 PM

869 posts, read 1,490,219 times
I pee a lot. Like A LOT! and my son does to. No amount of training would stop that. And so even if the kids arent being punished they are disappointing their teacher or getting dirty looks or being allowed to go while getting reprimanded for going at an innappropriate time. Everyone wants to compare being an adult who has to wait to potty until a more appropriate time to these kids, but the fact of the matter is, 5th graders are children. Why cant they just be kids. School is stressful enough and sometimes you just need a timeout, every minute of every day is busy but you honestly dont have to sit in the room and listen to every word to get the lesson. It makes me sad that our children are being groomed to be these well trained little versions of their adult counterparts but the fact is they are still children.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:39 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,026,928 times
I'm not an expert, but in all of my years of teaching (I did my first student teaching placement 40 years ago), in numerous school districts, at all levels, I have never ran across a teacher who inappropriately withheld bathroom time, not even one of the hundreds of teachers that I worked with did this. Sometimes, a student may be asked to wait until the teacher finishes explaining something, or asked if they could wait X number of minutes until recess, or wait until a peer comes back from the bathroom or someone who "cries wolf" every day may need to ask a second time but if a student says it's an emergency and they can't wait the teacher would always let them leave.

It's possible that little Johnnie or Susie may not be telling the entire, complete story about what happens in their classroom or time has dulled your memory about what exactly went on when you were in school. I'm not saying that there aren't any teachers who are inconsiderate jerks about bathroom needs, or that it may have occasionallybeen a problem in the past but I think that it is a very, very, very tiny percent of all current teachers.

As others have pointed out, this teacher was not limiting bathroom breaks she was encouraging students to be in the classroom learning instead of being out of the room.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:46 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,594,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Did you read the actual article?
Sadly, I think most people read it with an incorrect perception that it said the teacher was not allowing the children to use the restroom at all. That is certainly not the case.

In our area, not just our district, the 5th graders are NOT with the same teacher in the same classroom all day long. That type of schedule has been long gone for years now. The teachers each teach one/two core subjects to the entire grade level, which means that they change classes for core subjects. Add to that the 'specials' they attend daily, which are 2 different ones in our school, they have at the very least 6 different teachers during the day. Then you add in lunch for another transition.

So, in one specific class this is how their schedule would break down.

8:10 - 8:20 - class begins-morning routine (time for using the (1) restroom if needed before starting the day)
8:20-9:30 - reading/social studies (in this same class)
9:30-9:35 - transition including (2) bathroom break
9:35-10:50 - math with a different teacher
10:50-10:55 - transition including (3) bathroom break
10:55-12:10 - Science - with yet a different teacher
12:10-12:15 - specific (4) bathroom break before lunch including focus on washing hands
12:15-1:15 - lunch and recess
1:15-1:20 - transition including (5) bathroom break
1:20-2:20 - English/language arts (with the last of 4 teachers)
2:20-2:25 - transition including (6) bathroom break
2:25-3:20 - Specials (rotating schedules with 2 specials a day-PE, computer, library and music) which also allows a (7) bathroom break between the two)
3:25 - class dismissed (also time to use the (8) restroom after being dismissed)

That gives, in our school, 8 opportunities to use the restroom without disrupting curriculum time. The student who simply chooses not to go during those times and chooses to disrupt the learning time to go are the ones whom these type policies are aimed. The student who needs to go every hour, still have the opportunity to go every hour even without disrupting the teaching times, but this type policy is not aimed at this student.

For the rare school where 5th grade students do not leave their classroom except for lunch, there will still be scheduled breaks.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
I pee a lot. Like A LOT! and my son does to. No amount of training would stop that. And so even if the kids arent being punished they are disappointing their teacher or getting dirty looks or being allowed to go while getting reprimanded for going at an innappropriate time. Everyone wants to compare being an adult who has to wait to potty until a more appropriate time to these kids, but the fact of the matter is, 5th graders are children. Why cant they just be kids. School is stressful enough and sometimes you just need a timeout, every minute of every day is busy but you honestly dont have to sit in the room and listen to every word to get the lesson. It makes me sad that our children are being groomed to be these well trained little versions of their adult counterparts but the fact is they are still children.
If you or your son is peeing every hour you need to see a doctor because it is not normally and is usually a symptoms of an underlying condition.

When 10 kids stop a lesson to ask to go to the bathroom, that is a disruption that goes beyond that of just those 10 kids. We are training children to be responsible about their education. I would bet cash money that the same parents who are complaining that their kid cannot walk out of class every day for 5 minutes is the one who expects the teachers to give extra help to their kids because they weren't paying attention.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:41 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,599,983 times
Back on topic ... fifth graders.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:42 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,813,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
How would you feel if you were told your basic rights were being taken away.
How would you feel if you were on your period and NEEDED to change and hadn't gotten a chance before and were basically told too bad?
Seriously? Is the teacher going to pay for your ruined clothes because you weren't allowed to change your tampon? No. If it leaks through your jeans is your teacher going to be the one embarrassed? No.

Their excuse is you had time before, when in reality we were given 5 minutes to get from one side of the school to another and we had "mobiles" and a university center, plus 2000+ kids, shoulder to shoulder in the halls, it was VERY overcrowded and still is even though we got a new high school.

5 minutes BARELY covered the time to get out of class, go to your locker and forget the bathroom if you had to go to your locker.
Funny, everyone here has made it through high school, yet, you are the only one complaining. I remember going on a road trip with my family and having my period and thinking to myself "Gee I don't want to have to have my family stop every 2 hours so I think I will wear a pad for the duration of this trip".

Not everything is going to be the way you think it "should be". I have meetings that can be 5 hours at work sometimes. I always wait until we have a lunch break for the bathroom. And I have a SUPER understanding boss that wouldn't even blink if I told her I needed to step out. I just think I am being paid to be in the meeting and taking notes not to be in the bathroom. I have learned to hold and and I haven't died or gotten an infection yet. I have had one kidney infection in my life from a UTI that I got from not peeing after sex. That's it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting