Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 08:34 PM

410 posts, read 1,521,599 times

Advertisements

Found out tonight when my 7 year old lost his temper he learned 2 new words in school from a "friend". After composing myself and explaining why you don't use those words and passing judgement I got to thinking about when I first learned swear words. I was about the same age...lol. My nephew's first word was a swear word (no one can really blame him, that's all he heard). I never swear in the house or around my son. He admitted where he learned it and his punishment is no legos, no computer, and no ipod for the weekend. He also has to write a letter to his teacher and all the girls in the class because he allows his "friend" to call the girls that. I teach him that if he does nothing to stop it then he is no better than the person who is doing it.

When did your child first learn to swear?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 09:32 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
If the scientologists are right, my oldest learned it when she was being born.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:43 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,668,829 times
Both kids have echoed words I've said when they were very little. I tend to swear a lot, though of course really try to censor myself in their presence. I am not always successful.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:58 AM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
When she was a toddler. It was $#!+ because I say that a lot. Hearing her repeat it made me aware of just how much I used it.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:26 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
I don't remember when we did to be honest. There was never a filter on what we were allowed to say growing up. But my parents sat us down and explained appropriate settings to say the stuff, and how people do judge you by how you speak.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:50 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by operaphantom2003 View Post
Found out tonight when my 7 year old lost his temper he learned 2 new words in school from a "friend". After composing myself and explaining why you don't use those words and passing judgement I got to thinking about when I first learned swear words. I was about the same age...lol. My nephew's first word was a swear word (no one can really blame him, that's all he heard). I never swear in the house or around my son. He admitted where he learned it and his punishment is no legos, no computer, and no ipod for the weekend. He also has to write a letter to his teacher and all the girls in the class because he allows his "friend" to call the girls that. I teach him that if he does nothing to stop it then he is no better than the person who is doing it.

When did your child first learn to swear?
Peers are not in control of one another.
If one peer is being verbally abusive to other classmates then the TEACHER should address the boy not another student.
Sorry but I wouldn't expect my child to place himself into a position where that person could turn on him and start picking on him as well.

Sorry I know this is off topic but it sounds like this "friend" is not such a nice kid, obviously the teacher does not know of this because it sounds like nothing was done about it, so basically you are indirectly having your son "out" this kid and when he is "outted" and punished he'll blame your son and have fun with your son being this kids next target.

I would stick to the weekend punishment but I wouldn't go as far as bringing it to anyone else's attention, unless you want unnecessary drama for your child.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:12 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,771,079 times
Julia, I wish we could rep you

My older girl said a swearword (gd) a few times quite young, at about 2.5 years of age. We try not to swear but my husband does say that word when he hurts himself or sometimes in the car. We ignored it and she stopped saying it as she didn't get a reaction.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:58 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
My oldest said her first swear word at about 12 months. Daddy had to brake suddenly, and we heard the s-word from the back seat.

By the time they're done with kindergarten, they've heard all of the common swear words. By the time they're in 3rd grade, the kids use them in conversation all the time, as long as the teachers aren't close enough to hear. The teachers will do something about when they're told, especially if the swear words are sexual in nature and directed toward a specific person (we dealt with that situation this year in 4th grade, a boy asked my daughter if she liked d*** or c**k, she said she didn't like either one, and then he said, oh, then you must be a lesbian...I told my daughter to repeat it verbatim to her teacher, who put the boy in in-school suspension for two days).

My youngest has known the common swear words for as long as I can remember, but I've never heard her use one accidentally (repeating it randomly, etc) or outside of the house. My oldest says that the little one can swear very colorfully on the bus to tell off the boys who are bugging the oldest...now we walk to school instead.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:15 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times

Meet the Fockers - Baby Talk - YouTube

Old 01-21-2012, 12:14 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
In the womb?

I swear, I swear with great frequency. Generally not in front of my daughter when she was little but I remember once when she was 5 or 6 and I heard her stub her toe upstairs. Five seconds went by and she muttered "SHOOT" with a different vowel. I told her I understood why she said it and she is free to say whatever she wants in her own home but that she cannot use those words in other places or ever say them AT people.

She is basically grown now and a good grasp on when and where to say things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting