Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 09:26 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times

Advertisements

You should expect the dads to be WAY more ready for their sons to be playing than the sons are. There will be a lot of frustration as the kids can't do the things that seem SO simple, like standing correctly in the batter's box, running the right way, catching the ball, even hitting the ball on the tee.

Of course, there will be one kid who is a phenom, who can hit the ball into the outfield and even catch pretty well. He'll play first base.

Your child will love T-ball until the first time a pitch hits his thumb as he's holding the bat, ready to swing. Then he will never want to play again. But you can talk him back into it and get him back out there.

Oh, and it takes WAY longer to get the uniform on and lace up those cleats, so start getting ready earlier than you might think.

The snack will be the highlight of the game. And when it's your turn to bring snack, bring enough for all the little brothers and sisters who tag along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 09:28 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,688,647 times
We had a phenom! He could hit pretty well and throw too. His dad was coach, of course. The other kids were your basic goofy five-year-olds.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:34 PM

869 posts, read 1,493,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

Your child will love T-ball until the first time a pitch hits his thumb as he's holding the bat, ready to swing. Then he will never want to play again. But you can talk him back into it and get him back out there.

I thought it was t-ball? like with a t and a ball on the t? its not?

Old 01-21-2012, 09:34 PM

677 posts, read 1,538,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
yes, either that, or they all run to the ball and fight over it.
Yes, this!

Be sure your video recorder is charged and you have a good zoom. It will be hilarious

Old 01-21-2012, 09:38 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
Sorry, I advanced forward a season. Sometimes the eager dad coaches will try to pitch to them in T-ball practice.

I have three boys. It all runs together after a while.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:50 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,160,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
We had a phenom! He could hit pretty well and throw too. His dad was coach, of course. The other kids were your basic goofy five-year-olds.
oh my gosh, so did we! I would have sworn that kid was 2 years older than the rest of the team! He moved on to bigger and better things after one season.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:34 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,139,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly8 View Post
What to expect??

Whining, crying, pouting, temper tantrums, poor sportsmanship.....

From the parents.

The kids will have a blast!!
Ugh, anit that truth! My husband coached my son's little league team. He said the parents were the worst! lol.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:00 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,833,364 times
Ugh I never did T-ball but I have so many fond memories of picking dandelions in the outfield of 6,7,8 year old coach-pitch soft ball. Then finally my parents let me stop. Not sure why I had to play to begin with. My sister was all about it.

Everyone WILL get a trophy and a hit and a run.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:23 AM

25,841 posts, read 16,519,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
My son is 4, just turned in October. In 2 weeks we are registering for T-ball. For the first season of organized sports what should we expect?
You live in Jersey Dave? Are you going to get him into hockey? 4 years old is the perfect age. Of all the sports my boys played, hockey was the most fun IMO.

T-ball is great. They probably won't keep score and they'll let your son swing the bat until he hits the ball because I don't think they actually record "outs" the first season. If I remember right everyone get's to bat once and then switch to outfield and do that for like 4 innings.

Soccer is also a great sport for a 4 year old. Soccer helps prepare them for almost any other sport as it teaches them balance and footwork.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:35 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
Personally, when our kids were that age we signed them up for T-ball so we could sit in the stands and chat with other moms .

Have no expectations, none. Your life with children's sports will be MUCH easier that way. You can expect your child to finish what they start and to be at practice on time and listen to the coach but after that, just let them play. If they happen to be good at it, great, if not, so what. Kids handle these things WAY better than parents ever do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting