Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 09:56 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,190,213 times

Advertisements

So I wrote a post quite some time ago asking for advice on whether or not to go back to work or SAH. I chose to go back to work.

There was about 3 months where my daughter (almost 3) was kicking and screaming, not wanting to go to daycare even though she started out great for 1.5 months. Daycare providers said she was fine but I felt she was not as happy as she used to be.

She doesn't do it anymore. In fact, she hugs and kisses me goodbye and goes straight to playing now. Whew!

I am thinking that her day is too long (7:30-3). Yes, it seems silly to consider this now that she is no longer kicking and screaming her way into daycare.

I can still go back to SAH but my husband is so excited about the extra income I am bringing in and the possibility of living in a really nice home and neighborhood. Life would be very different.

So I am considering hiring somebody who would pick her up at 1 pm and stay with her until I get home. This is something new to me and nobody in my social circle hires nannies. I do plan on using a nanny website as my starting point.

This is all new and I am not feeling confident that I can do what I want! Anybody use a nanny website? BTW - I live in South Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 10:13 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
If she seems content with the daycare situation, why change up the arrangement? Do you still think she is not as happy?

Old 01-28-2012, 10:55 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,758,112 times
care.com has some wonderful people. That's how i found my current sitter/housekeeper.

Plus, some have background checks included on their profile.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:15 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,149,376 times
I would leave her there if she is happy.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:31 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
2 hours isn't worth changing up the routine for and I don't see what would be gained by trading one babysitter for another. It might end up costing you more money too.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:28 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,771,414 times
A fully trained nanny is going to cost a lot of money, and may not want a job with only 2-3 hours a day. A babysitter is going to have less training than your daycare, where the child seems happy. Keep her where she is.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:24 AM

LOL! Thank you.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:29 AM

It definitely doesn't seem worth hiring somebody for nap-time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
If she seems content with the daycare situation, why change up the arrangement? Do you still think she is not as happy?
She is happy at home She was sick for about 4 days and loved every minute she was home. She kept on saying to me "I am not going to school?" LOL! I am such a softie.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:30 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
So I wrote a post quite some time ago asking for advice on whether or not to go back to work or SAH. I chose to go back to work.

There was about 3 months where my daughter (almost 3) was kicking and screaming, not wanting to go to daycare even though she started out great for 1.5 months. Daycare providers said she was fine but I felt she was not as happy as she used to be.

She doesn't do it anymore. In fact, she hugs and kisses me goodbye and goes straight to playing now. Whew!

I am thinking that her day is too long (7:30-3). Yes, it seems silly to consider this now that she is no longer kicking and screaming her way into daycare.

I can still go back to SAH but my husband is so excited about the extra income I am bringing in and the possibility of living in a really nice home and neighborhood. Life would be very different.

So I am considering hiring somebody who would pick her up at 1 pm and stay with her until I get home. This is something new to me and nobody in my social circle hires nannies. I do plan on using a nanny website as my starting point.

This is all new and I am not feeling confident that I can do what I want! Anybody use a nanny website? BTW - I live in South Florida.
Do NOT hire someone to pick her up at 1:00. Children do best with consistency and adding one more care provider to the mix will only serve to diminish consistency. Let her stay in day care until 3:00. I read a study a while back that held that girls do better if they are in day care more than 30 some hours per week. They need enough time to adjust to their environment. Adding a 10 hour per week day care provider to the mix, probably, won't help her unless it's someone she lives with like a grandparent.

I kind of chuckled reading your post because my dd used to kick and scream when I picked her up. She wanted to keep on playing. She HATED that I was the first mom to pick up. There were times when I thought to myself "If a cop sees this, I'll get arrested for kidnapping." We ended up letting her stay in day care longer so that someone else went home first and I had to call ahead and tell the dcp I was on my way so she could anticipate my arrival. She LOVED being in day care and home was boring by comparison.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:10 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,882 times
Let her get used to the routine because once she hits kindergarten those are going to roughly be the hours she is in school (My son goes to pre-k and it is from 730-255) and if she has settled into the routine and is happy now, there is no reason to change it up, unless for financial reasons.

Those hours really aren't all that long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting