Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2012, 08:43 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Well Julia, I cannot resist one more link. The actual VAERS reports that someone wondered why they cannot be confirmed or ruled out Gardasil related deaths: Search Results from the VAERS Database)

I almost hate to use the link, since it comes from a notorious anti-vax group, but it ironically fails to support their agenda.

* A registered nurse reported a death but refused to give the name of the person who died.

* A physician went to a conference, then reported that he had heard about two deaths. He had no details.

* Several people reported that they had read about deaths on the internet or on TV. No details. Often, the same source made multiple reports.

* Two reports that said there had been multiple deaths. Did not give any details, so no way to know whether those deaths had already been reported.

* A couple of sad ones from grieving parents.

* A report (from a foreign country) in which there was possible carbon monoxide poisoning. A criminal investigation was being performed.

* A report that "HPV vaccine killed someone in the country."

* A report from a physician that he "heard from a parent of one of his patients who also heard from elsewhere concerning a female who was vaccinated with a 0.5ml dose of GARDASIL, IM. 'Some time passed, then she died'. The cause of death was not reported."

* "Initial and follow up information has been received from a physician, who was told by one of his patients, that the mother of a consumer was told by a neurologist that there were 4,400 kids who have died following vaccination with GARDASIL. No product quality complaint was involved. Attempts are being made to verify the existence of patients. Additional information has been requested." That is 5 degrees of hearsay ~ Suzy Q

* "Information has been received from an office manager that the physician heard from the physician''s colleague that a 16 year old female colleague''s patient was given an unspecified dose of GARDASIL (Lot not reported) on a Friday and on Monday the patient passed away (specific dates were unknown). The reporter considered the event as disabling and life threatening. Additional information has been requested." That one is 4 degrees of hearsay ~ Suzy Q

And more.

Anyone who wants to read them all, Google is your friend.

And if you use VAERS reports to decide not to vaccinate your children, it certainly does not make you look smart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellar View Post
Why would you not be smart for using official VAERS reports? I have not been on this thread for awhile, partially since it is getting so crazy. I am generally very pro-vaccine. However, my daughter had one dose of the HPV vaccine and had a bad reaction for days. I found lots of reports about kids like her. Many of these kids who proceeded with the second and third doses ended up with long-term problems, including the development of seizure disorders. This is the reason why MANY people were asking if the girls from LeRoy, who have been diagnosed with "conversion disorder," received the HPV vaccine recently.

In medicine there is nothing that is good for everyone. Is it impossible for you to believe that this vaccine might harm a certain subset of people? I have decided not to get my daughter the second and third doses. I have never done this before with ANY other vaccine. She has received every other one offered to her, including the annual flu vaccination. This is the ONLY vaccine she has ever received that caused a bad reaction. She never even developed a fever with the other ones.

This thread has reminded me that I need to report my daughter's reaction to VAERS. Many people do not because there is not as much motivation to do it if your kid gets better. This is why reactions are way under-reported by VAERS.
did you not read the rest of the post? It should be obvious.

I've been following the story about the girls from LeRoy HS. the last I heard, a train derailment and haz mat spill years ago was being it isn't the only connection they are looking at. Even if they all had it, that doesn't tell us why so many girls from one school are having these symptoms.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:46 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
Why would you not be smart for using official VAERS reports? I have not been on this thread for awhile, partially since it is getting so crazy. I am generally very pro-vaccine. However, my daughter had one dose of the HPV vaccine and had a bad reaction for days. I found lots of reports about kids like her. Many of these kids who proceeded with the second and third doses ended up with long-term problems, including the development of seizure disorders. This is the reason why MANY people were asking if the girls from LeRoy, who have been diagnosed with "conversion disorder," received the HPV vaccine recently.

In medicine there is nothing that is good for everyone. Is it impossible for you to believe that this vaccine might harm a certain subset of people? I have decided not to get my daughter the second and third doses. I have never done this before with ANY other vaccine. She has received every other one offered to her, including the annual flu vaccination. This is the ONLY vaccine she has ever received that caused a bad reaction. She never even developed a fever with the other ones.

This thread has reminded me that I need to report my daughter's reaction to VAERS. Many people do not because there is not as much motivation to do it if your kid gets better. This is why reactions are way under-reported by VAERS.
You should report it to VAERS. I asked this question upthread, but did you take her back to the pediatrician when she exhibited the symptoms, as that would be very valuable information? She could have had a reaction to the vaccine, but it could have been a coincident, and after the fact it is difficult to determine. I would urge anyone who has a reaction to vaccines, or medications in general to seek medical attention for both the care needed and to collect the data.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:51 AM

530 posts, read 1,163,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
did you not read the rest of the post? It should be obvious.

You copied part of my reply before I had a chance to make a correction. The official VAERS reports indicate more than 20,000 adverse reactions. Do you think they were all made up? I am sorry but most people, particularly doctors, do not go to the effort of filing a report unless they actually had a problem.

The problem with anything related to a vaccine is that is hard to prove. However, if a child who never had seizures before suddenly has a seizure after receiving a vaccination and then develops seizure disorder, this sounds pretty suspicious to me. It sounds suspicious to me that the drug manufacturer had to warn that kids might faint after receiving this vaccine because of the number of reports about this happening. Why is this vaccination causing such pronounced reactions? That is the question that is really hard to answer.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:05 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
As this has been mentioned frequently, 15% of children experience fainting, the peak ages being 15 to 19.

Syncope (Fainting) in Children and Teenagers | The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

And quite importantly, many people confuse fainting for a seizure as twitches are very common during the unconscious period of fainting (syncope).

Seizures that Aren (http://www.epilepsy.org.au/about-epilepsy/medical-aspects/seizures-not-epilepsy - broken link)

Old 02-06-2012, 09:06 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Quote:
You copied part of my reply before I had a chance to make a correction. The official VAERS reports indicate more than 20,000 adverse reactions. Do you think they were all made up? I am sorry but most people, particularly doctors, do not go to the effort of filing a report unless they actually had a problem.

The problem with anything related to a vaccine is that is hard to prove. However, if a child who never had seizures before suddenly has a seizure after receiving a vaccination and then develops seizure disorder, this sounds pretty suspicious to me. It sounds suspicious to me that the drug manufacturer had to warn that kids might faint after receiving this vaccine because of the number of reports about this happening. Why is this vaccination causing such pronounced reactions? That is the question that is really hard to answer.
There are two other vaccines with increased likelihood of fainting in adolescents, the meningitis vaccine and the tDap (tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis). I believe the risk of fainting is present in all vaccination warnings, because it's a bodily reaction to a moment of stress and fear. Compound that with a hungry adolescent who is going through a growth spurt, and no wonder that some kids faint. My daughter takes some health occupations classes in high school (she wants to be a nurse), and her class went to observe a surgery. One kid barfed and one fainted. It's nothing to get that alarmed about.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:07 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:

No, I don't think they are all made up. I do think it is unfortunate that so many are like Suzy Q quoted. If I thought I knew of someone with a real reaction to the vaccine, I'd make darn sure it was reported and investigated. I'd give as much detail as possible. It is kind of mind boggling the lack of info in some of these.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:16 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Folks, if you disagree, just disagree. A link war is not going to solve the debate any more than a Biblical quote war ever works over in Religion. Has anybody ever said, "Hmm, you're right, I never considered that before"? No. Everybody talks, nobody listens.
Actually I have done exactly that many times.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:30 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Actually I have done exactly that many times.
Okay. But usually these debates dwindle to mere back-and-forth. You're close-minded! No, YOU are closed-minded! Etc.

It's hard for me to respond to some topics without sounding sanctimonious--I don't know, maybe I always do despite my efforts not to. It could be that I am reading too much into the words used recently, but some of the conversation here is unkind. There's no rule that posters have to be kind, but there is one that they have to be respectful. A big part of the problem is that some posters have no respect for the other's perspective, but it's possible to be respectful of a person regardless.

I try not to weigh too heavily on hot topics, because I think it's good that we can talk about a variety of things. But after a point, everybody has said his or her piece and reinforced it a few times, so when there's nothing but jabs I feel that we're done.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:48 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Okay. But usually these debates dwindle to mere back-and-forth. You're close-minded! No, YOU are closed-minded! Etc.
This definitely does happen, no doubt. It is hard for me to understand. A lot of times it seems to require intentionally misreading or misunderstanding very simple explanations in an attempt to maintain the current PoV.

Actually I CAN understand it to some degree. Many years ago, I went to a marriage board for advice. I simply COULD NOT hear what was being said to me. Because it was definitely now what I wanted to hear. It actually took a couple of people being really rude to me, like a massive dope slap, to get me to really listen. Lo and behold, they were right! I took the excellent advice, left the rest. I credit one very measured, calm reasonable person and one person who got frustrated and called me all sorts of names with getting us down the road to a really happy marriage from a pretty bad state.

I say this lest people think that these boards are completely useless. They are not. You my not change the mind of the one you are speaking to. But you may influence someone else with your thoughts and information, whether you ever even know it.

Quote:
It's hard for me to respond to some topics without sounding sanctimonious--I don't know, maybe I always do despite my efforts not to.
I get called a know it all a lot.

Quote:
It could be that I am reading too much into the words used recently, but some of the conversation here is unkind. There's no rule that posters have to be kind, but there is one that they have to be respectful. A big part of the problem is that some posters have no respect for the other's perspective, but it's possible to be respectful of a person regardless.

I try not to weigh too heavily on hot topics, because I think it's good that we can talk about a variety of things. But after a point, everybody has said his or her piece and reinforced it a few times, so when there's nothing but jabs I feel that we're done.
You have the power of the mod!

Old 02-06-2012, 09:49 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
Better to teach your kids that just because society condones mulitple sexual partners does not mean that they have to have them - teach them to have one partner - and stay pure...I believe that used to be called marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.