Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 08:04 PM

863 posts, read 2,992,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Not really true. Those who choose monogamous sexually active relationships are not exposed to all the many STD's. The HPV vaccine provides a false sense of safety -- people think the vaccine will prevent all HPV infections and they can go out and have sex with everyone they meet and not have to worry about condoms. They can still get HIV, syphillis, hepatitis C and many other diseases.
But the reality is that young people don't think that oral sex is sex.

Most Young Adults: Oral Sex Is Not Sex - CBS News

I've heard that HPV oral cancer is a growing issue this several times in the past year or so.

"HPV is best known as the virus that causes cervical cancer in women, but because of better screening, the rate of such cancers has declined over time. The authors predict that if current trends continue, oral cancers may become the most common HPV-related cancer by 2020, eclipsing cervical cancer."

Read more: HPV Linked to More Oral Cancers Than Smoking | Healthland | TIME.com

This is a dangerous situation.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:12 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,602,012 times
Let's see, do I want a new drug side effects risk right now or hpv risk later? Hmmm,,,,,,I'll pick later for 100. lol
I try and let the guinea pig faze of most things take it's course first now. Been their done that. Most of the side effects of new drugs are way worse than getting hpv to me. Seen it in my mom first hand, not good.
Oh, and p.s. those side effects for the toe fungus pill are way worse than toe fungus. Soak your feeties in vinegar instead.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:27 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Perhaps you'd like to add the link you copy and pasted that from.

Name calling? What name calling?
Calling people fear mongers is name calling

HPV | Human Papilloma Virus Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment

HPV Statistics

Papillex™ HPV Therapy (Human Papilloma Virus): About 80 % of the women around the world get HPV. What is the treatment?

Transmission of HPV: More information available at gardasil.com

Old 02-01-2012, 08:30 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
Calling people fear mongers is name calling
I was talking about Whale, et. al., not individual posters.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I was talking about Whale, et. al., not individual posters.
Oh, ok, then. I apologize then for feeling as though it was directed as those of us who are not for this vaccine.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:48 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,212 times
Quote:
Yes, my body fought it off. It is what the body does- it can fight off some viruses when we allow it to. Next time you are at your OB/GYN, ask her/him about how that HPV in fact in many many cases clear up on its own
I didn't have much time for "It will go away on it's own" between having chemo in my vagina and having severe precancerous lesions cut out of my cervix due to HPV. BTW this all happened between YEARLY pap smears. I was 19. I had had 1 partner. I went from normal to severe precancerous in 1 year and 1 partner. But it will go away on it's own right?

Old 02-01-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I didn't have much time for "It will go away on it's own" between having chemo in my vagina and having severe precancerous lesions cut out of my cervix due to HPV. BTW this all happened between YEARLY pap smears. I was 19. I had had 1 partner. I went from normal to severe precancerous in 1 year and 1 partner. But it will go away on it's own right?
What part of "yes, many cases clear up on their own" don't you get? Don't get me wrong, I feel bad that in your case it went from a viruses to an infection, but that isnt the case of most people who have HPV. I truly am sorry for what you had to go through, but it still deosn't change MY stance on this issue.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:41 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,756,832 times
Quote:
What part of "yes, many cases clear up on their own" don't you get? Don't get me wrong, I feel bad that in your case it went from a viruses to an infection, but that isnt the case of most people who have HPV. I truly am sorry for what you had to go through, but it still deosn't change MY stance on this issue.
For what its worth, I agree with you. I had/have HPV. Had a negative papsmear and 6 months later it was clear. *shrug* Every few years i have a singular flare up and its gone. Even with having HPV, I am *not* going to risk my children's lives with this shot.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:44 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
For what its worth, I agree with you. I had/have HPV. Had a negative papsmear and 6 months later it was clear. *shrug* Every few years i have a singular flare up and its gone. Even with having HPV, I am *not* going to risk my children's lives with this shot.
now it's life threatening?

Old 02-01-2012, 09:45 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
I like this debate as I am routinely on both sides of the vaccination debate at once.

I skip flu vaccines, for me and mine. Also skipped the chicken pox vaccine for my daughter.

But I have strongly encouraged my daughter to get this one and she will be getting it at next obgyn appointment.

It is about personal comfort level of risk, no more no less. Anyone who tells you differently isn't being honest.

My daughter and I weighed the risk of another vaccine with hypothetical side effects vs. a small chance of cancer. For us the small chance of cancer was was the less acceptable risk.

Meanwhile the risks associated with otherwise healthy adults getting the flu were not enough to convince me to get the flu shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting