Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 02:42 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
People like this are why we have a resurgence of whooping cough deaths, and other crazyness

making life decisions based on some crazy claim on the internet

- dude, don't believe every article from crazy sites that hate vac's
CBS news is not an anti-vax site by any means

Gardasil Researcher Speaks Out - CBS News

This particular vax is not like the vaxes for other diseases which protect against all forms of the disease. This one protects against only a few strains of HPV and cervical cancer is completely curable if women get pap screens and detect it early. Out of more than 40 types of HPV that are sexually transmitted, about 15 HPV types are associated with cancer of the cervix and other genital cancers affecting women and men. Gardasil vaccine, which contains 2 of 15 HPV types most associated with cervical cancer and 2 HPV types associated with genital warts.

This researcher does not say that gardisil is unsafe for *most* girls, but that the vax may not last long enough to give protection and that there is a risk that women will forgo pap smears because of a false sense of security.

Another note: After Pap test screening became a routine part of health care for American women in the 1960’s, cervical cancer cases in the U.S. dropped 74 percent and continued Pap testing is recommended for women who receive HPV vaccines.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:08 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post

I already posted this upthread, but this CBS story was based on a story written in the Sunday Express by a journalist who has since been censured, and the Sunday Express story was retracted with apologies to Dr. Harper. Surprisingly the CBS story was not retracted.

Quote:
But it transpires that it was an even worse piece of journalism than we thought.
The Guardian's bad science columnist Ben Goldacre has discovered that it was
false in every respect because it rested on statements from a single expert,
Diane Harper, who trenchantly denies all the quotes attributed to
her
I repeat, Dr. Harper, did not make the statements attributed to her in reference to Gardasil.

Roy Greenslade: PCC complaint over Sunday Express cancer story | Media | guardian.co.uk

Old 07-10-2013, 03:09 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post

This particular vax is not like the vaxes for other diseases which protect against all forms of the disease. This one protects against only a few strains of HPV and cervical cancer is completely curable if women get pap screens and detect it early. Out of more than 40 types of HPV that are sexually transmitted, about 15 HPV types are associated with cancer of the cervix and other genital cancers affecting women and men. Gardasil vaccine, which contains 2 of 15 HPV types most associated with cervical cancer and 2 HPV types associated with genital warts.

This researcher does not say that gardisil is unsafe for *most* girls, but that the vax may not last long enough to give protection and that there is a risk that women will forgo pap smears because of a false sense of security.

Another note: After Pap test screening became a routine part of health care for American women in the 1960’s, cervical cancer cases in the U.S. dropped 74 percent and continued Pap testing is recommended for women who receive HPV vaccines.
CBS News no reputable medical information site, either.

And that researcher is full of it.

RE: the bold:

The strains of HPV the vaccine protects against cause 70% of the cases of cervical cancer, and 90% of the cases of HPV cancers in males. There are LOTS of vaccines out there with similar protection, e.g. Prevnar "only" protects against 13 types of pneumococcal infection, not every single one. Menactra "only" protects against four types of bacterial meningitis; it does not protect against all possible strains of meningitis-causing bacteria and it does not protect at all against viral meningitis. Influenza vaccine only protects against three or four strains of influenza. (The four strain vaccine is new this year.)

The data available show no waning immunity among the original immunizees, four years after this alleged "researcher" made these statements. Even if immunity does decline, a booster would be all that is necessary.

The issue with HPV vaccine? Sex.

http://www.cdc.gov/std/hpv/stdfact-hpv-vaccine-hcp.htm

Old 07-10-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Is CBS News an anti-vax site?

I didn't say anything about whooping cough. I was talking about an STD that clears up on its own most of the time and a relatively new vaccine with questionable side effects.
There are no questionable side effects from Gardasil. In the 7 years that Gardasil has been out, my office has given several thousand doses of this vaccine. We hardly ever get as much as a sore arm! We've had a few kids faint, but adolescents faint from lots of vaccines, all of them, really. We have found that offering something to eat beforehand (we keep granola bars for this purpose)as teens tend to have erratic eating habits and often haven't eaten for many hours prior to the shot, and having teens hang out about 10 min. after the shot for observation works wonders. I have only seen a few kids faint from this vaccine in all these years; no more than faint from any other vaccine. I had a teen faint from getting his blood pressure checked. Does that mean we should quit checking blood pressure?

http://www.cdc.gov/std/hpv/stdfact-hpv-vaccine-hcp.htm

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 07-10-2013 at 04:41 PM.. Reason: Added link

Old 07-10-2013, 04:09 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I already posted this upthread, but this CBS story was based on a story written in the Sunday Express by a journalist who has since been censured, and the Sunday Express story was retracted with apologies to Dr. Harper. Surprisingly the CBS story was not retracted.

I repeat, Dr. Harper, did not make the statements attributed to her in reference to Gardasil.

Roy Greenslade: PCC complaint over Sunday Express cancer story | Media | guardian.co.uk
Awesome link.

When you see something in such a credible source as a major market news corporation its important to remember even they get it wrong sometimes.

Old 07-12-2013, 03:22 PM

948 posts, read 3,356,646 times
Default There's absolutely a reason to fear vaccines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Hell yes.

The fear-mongering and ignorance surrounding this vaccine is alarming in the extreme.

Sorry Ohio, and I agree, it is very sad.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The hpv vaccines were fast tracked and some big politicians own stock in the pharma that produces the drug. The conflict of interest pisses me off. Remember when Texas Gov. mandated the vaccine? He owns stock in the company. Gee, what a benevolent act to his wallet. Also, the vaccine allegedly only "protects" against some strains, not ALL. I'm still amazed when people are willing to believe that the gov't truly has our best interests as a consideration when they make these vaccines and not big pharma's wallets. Lets not forget laws created in order to protect vaccine makers from wrongful death suits from their shots.

How bout this:
The United States has the highest number of mandated vaccines for children under 5 in the world (36, double the Western world average of 18), the highest autism rate in the world (1 in 150 children, 10 times or more the rate of some other Western countries), but only places 34th in the world for its children under 5 mortality rate.

Old 07-12-2013, 03:29 PM

750 posts, read 1,065,169 times
For my girls, when they are in the right age, absolutely.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:19 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

How bout this:
The United States has the highest number of mandated vaccines for children under 5 in the world (36, double the Western world average of 18), the highest autism rate in the world (1 in 150 children, 10 times or more the rate of some other Western countries), but only places 34th in the world for its children under 5 mortality rate.
The US does NOT *necessarily* have the highest autism rate. We along with some other post-Industrial countries do screen children better than some other places.

Autism Rates Increase - US News and World Report

Quote:
South Korea just sent autism prevalence rates surging north. Autism spectrum disorders affect an estimated 2.64 percent of the nation’s schoolchildren, or about 1 in 38 youngsters, a new study finds.

That’s a considerably higher figure than has been reported in the United States, England and elsewhere, where prevalence estimates range between 0.07 percent and 1.8 percent. A 2006 report from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimated that 1 in 110 children had an autism spectrum disorder, at that time considered a surprisingly high rate.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The hpv vaccines were fast tracked and some big politicians own stock in the pharma that produces the drug. The conflict of interest pisses me off. Remember when Texas Gov. mandated the vaccine? He owns stock in the company. Gee, what a benevolent act to his wallet. Also, the vaccine allegedly only "protects" against some strains, not ALL. I'm still amazed when people are willing to believe that the gov't truly has our best interests as a consideration when they make these vaccines and not big pharma's wallets. Lets not forget laws created in order to protect vaccine makers from wrongful death suits from their shots.

How bout this:
A Danish study showed no higher rates of autism in immunized kids vs unimmunized. Here is the IZ schedule for Denmark:

Vaccine Schedule

It is very similar to the US'. The main difference is one less DTaP, Prevnar and Hib dose, and no chickenpox vax.

Maybe you could provide a link??

Old 07-21-2013, 11:57 PM

621 posts, read 1,054,095 times
My eldest son has decided against the HPV vaccination for now since he is not yet at the stage in his life where heavy petting or sex is an issue. However, we spoke at length about the risks of HPV and how easy it is to have contact with someone who may unknowingly carry it and spread it.

Going to third base can spread HPV, and though the risks of fatal complications of HPV are low, I believe the vaccine may help reduce the overall epidemic and reduce the stigma of acquiring the non-fatal complications such as warts.

If my son competed in a contact sport such as wrestling, or was dating actively, I would strongly recommend it. For now, I am thankful he is a late bloomer. . I only hope my younger son will avoid giving me gray hairs too, but maybe that is asking too much. We'll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting