Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 08:46 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
We really don't know that. The vaccine was fast tracked and not fully studied. I'm not anti-vax by any stretch of the imagination, but this is one that I wouldn't do as of yet. I don't think it's been around long enough to really know if it's safe.
I hear this all the time, and I'm not quite sure what people think the definition of "fast tracked" is. The vaccine was developed and tested from 1985 through 2006, licensing took place in 2007 and 2008, and the first vaccines were available in 2009. Since then 100 million does have been administered.

There is a lot of data available from the 21 years it was in development, as well as from the 100 countries and 100 million doses administered.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:35 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinstyler View Post
If the vaccine is safe, why has Japan pulled its recommendation for getting the vaccine while further studies are being conducted? Google it...

I'm not against vaccinations, I'm just against misinformation and am careful to not give any passes to big pharma. I have a beef with them, if you must know.

The onus of proof is on Merck and its studies to quantify its claims.

On a personal note:

I do not understand anyone feeling uncomfortable in allowing people to have reservations about a vaccine that was fast tracked. People have the right to make their own medical decisions based on their own personal medical issues.

The vaccine has risks and limitations. It has not proven itself to guard against cancer, though it is expected to, and it has some serious risks involved, and the rate of side effects appear to be higher than wit other vaccines. If you believe the marketing of Merck, you may not believe so. But, if you look deeper you will find my assertion is not unfounded.

This breakthrough in vaccinations is pretty remarkable, but it has risks and is still very VERY early on in its application to prove all of its claims. The general public has a right to be cautious.
Japan's knee-jerk reaction is to stop vaccinating if anyone reports a problem after receiving a vaccine:

Japan's Vaccine Problem

What are the documented "serious" risks of the HPV vaccines? Can you provide a link to a scientific article describing them --- not just internet anecdotes?

Can you give actual numbers comparing the rate of side effects with HPV vaccines and other vaccines?

Answering human papillomavirus vaccine concerns; a matter of science and time

"When the authors examined whether vaccination was associated with serious adverse events, they found that the chance of having a serious adverse event was identical whether the individual was vaccinated or in the control group. Even when the trials were looked at individually there was still no difference in adverse event incidence between the vaccinated and control populations."

How many doses must be given world-wide before it is no longer "very VERY early on in its application toprove all of its claims"? The link between HPV and anogenital cancers is well substantiated, and the link with oropharyngeal cancer is emerging and solidifying. If you do not get certain HPV viruses, your risk of those cancers diminishes remarkably. The incidence of HPV infections is already dropping perecipitously in the age group eligible for the HPV vaccine, despite the fact that the uptake rate for the vaccine is not great. It does not take a great stretch of the imagination to see that fewer HPV infections is going to translate to fewer cancers, though it will take a few years to prove it because these are for the most part slow growing cancers.

CDC Online Newsroom | Press Release | New study shows HPV vaccine helping lower HPV infection rates in teen girls

"A new study looking at the prevalence of human papillomavirus (HPV) infections in girls and women before and after the introduction of the HPV vaccine shows a significant reduction in vaccine-type HPV in U.S. teens. The study, published in [the June 2013 issue of] The Journal of Infectious Diseases reveals that since the vaccine was introduced in 2006, vaccine-type HPV prevalence decreased 56 percent among female teenagers 14-19 years of age."

The HPV vaccines are both extremely effective and extremely safe. They work best when they are given before any sexual activity has occurred. Like it or not, our kids do not always take our advice about having sex, and they most often do not admit what they are up to.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 07-23-2013 at 09:36 PM.. Reason: Fix typo

Old 07-23-2013, 10:26 PM

621 posts, read 1,054,095 times
I'm really not interested in having a link debate, but rather am highlighting the right of a person to make their own informed decisions relative to the relatively new vaccine with unique risks.

There is a real game of volleyball going on among the professionals who have the knowledge and prowess in these matters of scientific research and they are questioning each other.

Are they crazy anti-vax people? No, not all of them anyway.

They are scientists and I am watching very closely to this as our family's health risks are specific, just as most are that have family members with other underlying illnesses. I am content to not muddy up those professional battles by posing as one of them battling it out with people here that clearly do not have appropriate backgrounds.

And, no...those who administer the shots are not any more capable of arguing the research; It is strange to see that here and in my opinion very unethical.

I repeat...I'm not anti-vax and am not fighting against this particular vaccine for everyone, but am fighting to maintain the right to hesitate without ridicule, judgement! Or...pressure. It is ridiculous to be playing the google link game to make that clear!

Vaccines have a pretty rocky history and a lot of that history is very recent. So, ridiculing those that know this who are by rights a little cautious, is kind of odd to read. I suppose that speaks to our broken educational system since those that are ridiculing others purport to be college educated... Egads! Methinks some should go back to school and read some more WITHOUT prejudice.

Last edited by Robinstyler; 07-23-2013 at 10:31 PM.. Reason: Formatting to make it easier to read

Old 07-23-2013, 10:54 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinstyler View Post
I'm really not interested in having a link debate, but rather am highlighting the right of a person to make their own informed decisions relative to the relatively new vaccine with unique risks.

There is a real game of volleyball going on among the professionals who have the knowledge and prowess in these matters of scientific research and they are questioning each other.

Are they crazy anti-vax people? No, not all of them anyway.

They are scientists and I am watching very closely to this as our family's health risks are specific, just as most are that have family members with other underlying illnesses. I am content to not muddy up those professional battles by posing as one of them battling it out with people here that clearly do not have appropriate backgrounds.

And, no...those who administer the shots are not any more capable of arguing the research; It is strange to see that here and in my opinion very unethical.

I repeat...I'm not anti-vax and am not fighting against this particular vaccine for everyone, but am fighting to maintain the right to hesitate without ridicule, judgement! Or...pressure. It is ridiculous to be playing the google link game to make that clear!

Vaccines have a pretty rocky history and a lot of that history is very recent. So, ridiculing those that know this who are by rights a little cautious, is kind of odd to read. I suppose that speaks to our broken educational system since those that are ridiculing others purport to be college educated... Egads! Methinks some should go back to school and read some more WITHOUT prejudice.
I note that you have restated your argument without supplying any facts to support it.

What risks? Which professionals are questioning the vaccines? If you are going to make allegations about risks, you need to be specific. What does the HPV vaccine do that has you concerned?

The people who administer the vaccines are indeed more capable of arguing the research. If there are adverse effects that are not showing up in the studies, the people who give the shots should be seeing them in their patients. They are not.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:16 AM

1,851 posts, read 3,399,568 times
Nonstop bickering. Straying and remaining off-topic. Discussing moderator actions. Nuf said...thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting