Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 06:17 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,859,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post
It said right in the story about it, that the waitress told her to use a blanket or leave.

Elmonellie, obviously you think this was a stunt. Have you ever been the mother of a nursing baby? If so, I doubt you'd see this as a 'stunt'.

Aren't you writing some sort of book? I don't think you're going to get your shock-and-awe mileage for it out of this story.
Yes, I am doing a book. I'm looking here and a bunch of other forums. I would never quote anyone.

I do think that what the orig poster was refering to was a stunt.

Do you know that she is in the La Leche group?

Do you want to look into this further before thinking it a stunt?

Old 09-11-2007, 06:39 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,219,017 times
I was in 'the La Leche group'. MANY women have been in La Leche. It most certainly is not about sitting around thinking up stunts-perhaps you should do further research.

In REAL life, with a REAL baby, sometimes he/she is going to get hungry and have to eat. Sometimes, this happens in public. Sometimes, the mom gets hassled for that. This current story is far from the first one I have heard, like that.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:43 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,469,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirleyk View Post
mommabear2,

Yeah, it was bad. I used to go to the Border's where a woman was told she could not breastfeed, and this same Border's proudly displayed books near the registers with naked women, and all the "lad mags" were visible to anyone who walked by. Nearly nude women in calendars.

This place was anything BUT discreet about these things, and I saw plenty of young women walking around in horrendously short skirts and tight and low-cut shirts. This is Los Angeles, after all.

But a mother feeding her child? Now, THAT has to stop. Breasts should only be used to sell magazines, beer, and cars!

"You must spread some reputation around before giving it to ShirleyK"

Darn it... and that was good post! You are sooooo right. Women are exploited all the time for money... yet, a mother breastfeeding is "gross" or immodest. I'm just shaking my head.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:59 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
Right, according to the news she was not an activist. Do you think she was? I am thinking she was. How would it change anything? Are you kidding? Why are we aware of this. She was an activist acting like a victim.
Why? Just curious what you're basing that on.

Old 09-11-2007, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Do you thin La Leche League is activist?
I know another poster answered this and I think you were sincere in questioning...but I wanted to add that I contacted La Leche League too when my second son wouldn't breastfeed. I didn't know at the time that he had developmental issues. They were there for information. They told me that I could rent a pump from the hospital, that these pumps tended to be more effective than most store-bought pumps (which I had been using) and also offered to have someone out to observe me with the baby, see whether his mouth was positioned correctly, etc.

As far as I understood things, they were there for information. They do have "groups" but those are local meetings in one's area so that moms can talk one-to-one. It's not like you "have to" join to get benefits or something. I've never heard of a card-carrying LLL'er. I definitely got no sense of any militant sort of thing, "Join us! FIGHT for your right to, um, breastfeed" or anything like that. It's a support organization and you *can* join smaller support groups *if you want* but they don't give you a card you have to swipe or anything. "Please...place...finger...on...glass...for...fing erprint...identification. Thank you. Fingerprint...accepted. Begin...breastfeeding...child."

Old 09-11-2007, 07:05 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,859,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Why? Just curious what you're basing that on.
I think she is in La Leche. Am I wrong?

Old 09-11-2007, 07:06 PM

Quote:
I think she is in La Leche. Am I wrong?
(And round and round we go) I think so. Yes. How does that make her an activist?

Holy granola, this is one SERIOUS issue for you, you're answering us at the speed of light, LOL. I'm getting less of a sense that this is really all for your book, and more of a sense that this is a really serious issue for you...for some reason. You'll be fine if you don't let that come out in your book. Humor/satire (I'm guessing you're doing this as sort of an Andy Rooney thing? "Did'ja ever noooootice...") is a very tricky balance in order to be readable and snappy. Good luck with your book.

ETA: Ooh! Or...a Gilda Radner-esque style would be funny. ("What's all this I hear about nursing in public? In my day, the nurses stayed at the hospital, like they ought to. Now they want to give shots and enemas in Applebee's! What is the world coming to...") Okay, just kidding. But it WOULD be funny. Funny might not be what you're after...

Last edited by JerZ; 09-11-2007 at 07:15 PM..

Old 09-11-2007, 07:15 PM

3,295 posts, read 9,189,032 times
Quote:
Yes, I am doing a book. I'm looking here and a bunch of other forums. I would never quote anyone.
You do know that the posts on a forum are the property of that forum? And of the individual that posted that information. Be very careful how you gather your information. Liz

Old 09-11-2007, 07:36 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Elmonellie, honestly, I am just not getting you. What is it you think this woman was after?

You trot out words like "activist" and "La Leche League" like they're "Satan Worshipper" and "Society of Bloodsuckers" or something. What is it about an activist or, gasp, a member of La Leche League that you think is so shocking?

Let's say she's the president of her La Leche League chapter and breastfed in public in an effort to educate women about their rights to do so. Where does that leave you? What do you think she was gaining by that?

The article didn't mention any of that, but even if it did, the only logical conclusion is that she did it in an effort to educate the public about the rights of nursing women. Can you please tell me what's wrong with that?

Old 09-11-2007, 08:11 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,962 times
I think she is in La Leche League. The article says that when she went to her car after leaving the restaurant she called her LLL Leader who told her to get the names of the people involved. So what if she's in LLL? For the record, I am a member of LLL too. To be a member, you pay a $40 yearly membership fee which gets you a subscription to their magazine and a discount on their products. It's not an activist group, it's a support group. I regularly attend my local meetings where mothers come for help with breastfeeding from their peers. Meetings work like this. First announcements, then introductions, then burning questions which is when you can ask whatever breastfeeding question is on your mind and the group will help you brainstorm to solve your problem, then the evening's topic which may range from new babies to introducing solids to weaning, then social time. There is no activist component to the group. In fact, when we were trying to promote the nurse-in, we were told that LLL leaders could attend the nurse-in as private citizens but not as representatives of LLL because LLL does not support political activities. LLL Leaders also could not distribute information about the nurse-in to their groups through official LLL channels. So if you are thinking that this was some kind of a "stunt" planned by LLL, you are way off. In addition, this woman has 8 children who have all been breastfed in public and hasn't had a problem before now, though if she was as attention seeking as you seem to think, I would have expected her to have come across this kind of thing before now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting