Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 06:14 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Here's my take on it, at the risk of making it a socio-political argument: we've built a culture in this country which revolves around children. Certainly parents should make their children the top priority, but I'm speaking more to a culture which George Carlin dubbed "child worship". Most cultures (the French seem to be the preferred culture du jur at the moment) simply know where to draw the line, and treat children as children and adults as adults. For example, they're okay with nudity on television rather than sounding alarms over "protect the children!" Many American parents simply need to be reminded children need a certain amount of sacrifice and discipline, rather than having their every need/desire met, all the time.
Eh i have met many a euorpean woman and man who worship their children. Italian mothers make american ones pale in comparison. We get a bad rap in this country for how our kids are raised which isn't much different than the rest of the world really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 09:53 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Eh i have met many a euorpean woman and man who worship their children. Italian mothers make american ones pale in comparison. We get a bad rap in this country for how our kids are raised which isn't much different than the rest of the world really.
I think your right. I have to agree as in my travels I didn't see much of a difference in how we all raise our kids, or care about them. I saw moms all over their kids and moms who were busy and didn't know where their kids were in most countries I'v visited. Good and bad in both, just like in America.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:26 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Supposedly the French are doing things differently and better. But it seems to me this is just how kids USED to be raised right here. I feel yes we are bringing up several generations of entitled kids and they are the ones who will suffer the most.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/lifestyl...-is-it-better/
I tend to agree with you no kudzo...it seems that today, most (not all) kids do think that they are entitled to certain things...another thing is the way I see some young people talk rudely..even swear, at their parents.....it makes me always wonder why the parents would allow that to happen......I don't really think the french are any better at raising children though...there's good and bad in every culture.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:57 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
We have been fortunate enough to vacation regularly on a Caribbean Island popular with the French. The first time we went we planned our trip for a time we thought most children would be in school. Instead, the hotel had loads of kids, all French. It was eye-opening to see how well behaved they were, both on the beach and in the restaurants. The parents did not entertain them, they carried on uninterrupted conversations with the other adults instead. At meals the children ordered off the regular menu, and ate quietly.

I am certain if our kids were with us we would not have had as enjoyable a time. My kids would have wanted to jet ski, parasail, etc every minute. They would have found the beach "boring".
I have seen the same thing. This "child centric" thing is so not working.
Spoiled things stink.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:38 AM

652 posts, read 1,052,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Parenting is too personal to believe an entire nation of people maintains the same standard in their parenting practices. I mean just how many french families does she ever personally know? What you probably have here is an american women so in love with french culture that she only sees the good things and glosses over the faults. There is no right magical formula to parenting because each child, and family is different.
I completely agree with this.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:44 AM

4,040 posts, read 7,438,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Supposedly the French are doing things differently and better. But it seems to me this is just how kids USED to be raised right here. I feel yes we are bringing up several generations of entitled kids and they are the ones who will suffer the most.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/lifestyl...-is-it-better/
I agree it is not French. It is just as much European and pre-60's American.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:11 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
I think that much of the world views our parenting skills as what they see on our reality TV. There is nothing “real” about reality TV children. Most parents do not spend $60,000 or more for a birthday party. However; many Americans look up to these “real” families. It is a great way to raise a bunch of egotistical brats.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with the ‘new’ French child raising book. It is basically what we were taught back in the 1960’s.

I did have some very effective training in behavioral psychology - when I took in problem foster teenagers years ago. I love the idea of natural consequences and who owns the problem - they are simple thoughts; but hard for most parents to master. We had a counselor every two weeks for those problem teenagers. However; even the best ideas do not always work - our counselor carried a loaded .38 (after she was attacked years before).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting